Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gizmo v1.1 vs v1.0 - differences?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gizmo v1.1 vs v1.0 - differences?

    I'm going to get a Gizmo for my computer setup.

    If you order through the website, is it v1.1 or v1.0? It seems to say v1.0 but I would have thought it would be v1.1 :no clue:

    What's the difference anyways?

    What do you lose if you have v1.0 instead of v1.1, or rather what do you gain with the latest and greatest?

    Thanks

  • #2
    There are actually 3 different Gizmos now - but it's not as confusing as it sounds.

    We have Gizmo V1.0 - It sold for $89 or $99, and had issues with the subwoofer out being fixed and the input being limited to appx. 3 volts.

    We have Gizmo V1.0M - The units have been modded so that the subwoofer will have a variable out, but the input still is limited to appx. 3 volts. I have word that all remaining units in Colorado have been modded.

    I plan on having those units shipped to Erie and placed into stock. They will be priced between the current $99 plus shipping for V1.0 and the $139 deliveredfor V1.1. Look for $119 delivered on V1.0M.

    Gizmo V1.1 is scheduled to go into production within the next few days. It has variable subwoofer out, the input stage can handle 9 volts, and the display no longer flashes when the unit is muted.

    Pricing will be $139 shipped.

    I hope this clears things up.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Craig.

      What are the implications of those two differences:

      - subwoofer variable out

      - 3V vs 9V

      Thanks in advance for the education.

      Comment


      • #4
        Craig,

        Are you still going to offer the free swap for V1.1 for those of us with V1.0 that want that instead of the $50 credit?

        Comment


        • #5
          I have a b stock Gizmo, not sure what version it is, But I really like the sound of this little guy. I know it's a small thing, but the flashing while in standby bugs me, and the sub volume doesn't seem to follow the volume control.

          I think I will be up for a V1.1. $139 is very reasonable. I bet Craig doean't offer these for sale until he actually has them either!:huge:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rick240
            Thanks Craig.

            What are the implications of those two differences:

            - subwoofer variable out

            - 3V vs 9V

            Thanks in advance for the education.
            With Gizmo 1.0, the output to the sub is fixed at top volume, no matter what the amp volume is. Therefore, to get a "variable" sub out with 1.0, you'd need to use a volume-controlled SOURCE, and use the Gizmo like a power amp, with volume turned most/all the way up. I plan on getting the DAC-Man, and doing just this. Should make a VERY nice combo.

            The 3V vs. 9V input helps cure a sometimes-reported issue of distortion when used with a line-level source (I had this issue). Again, a volume-controlled source fixed the issue for me and others. But in the 1.1, the issue should be non-existent.

            Hope this helps.... Bottom line: IMO, the Gizmo 1.1 will be a very great little amp, and the Gizmo 1.0 and 1.0M are already great, though a bit flawed, amps.
            What if the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about?!

            Kinky Tom!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by skullguise
              With Gizmo 1.0, the output to the sub is fixed at top volume, no matter what the amp volume is. Therefore, to get a "variable" sub out with 1.0, you'd need to use a volume-controlled SOURCE, and use the Gizmo like a power amp, with volume turned most/all the way up. I plan on getting the DAC-Man, and doing just this. Should make a VERY nice combo.

              The 3V vs. 9V input helps cure a sometimes-reported issue of distortion when used with a line-level source (I had this issue). Again, a volume-controlled source fixed the issue for me and others. But in the 1.1, the issue should be non-existent.

              Hope this helps.... Bottom line: IMO, the Gizmo 1.1 will be a very great little amp, and the Gizmo 1.0 and 1.0M are already great, though a bit flawed, amps.
              OK, so just to be sure I understand...

              - if I set the volume on Gizmo to a reasonable number and never change it

              - and tape over the display so flashing never bothers me

              - and use the volume control in RealPlayer or other program (I am only looking for something to provide 2.1 sound from my computer)

              then an unmodded v1.0 would give me everything I need (i.e. it's flaws will have no impact on me).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rick240
                OK, so just to be sure I understand...

                - if I set the volume on Gizmo to a reasonable number and never change it

                - and tape over the display so flashing never bothers me

                - and use the volume control in RealPlayer or other program (I am only looking for something to provide 2.1 sound from my computer)

                then an unmodded v1.0 would give me everything I need (i.e. it's flaws will have no impact on me).
                I think you nailed it. :smoke1:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by alphaiii
                  Craig,

                  Are you still going to offer the free swap for V1.1 for those of us with V1.0 that want that instead of the $50 credit?
                  For those who ordered in September, yes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by craigsub
                    For those who ordered in September, yes.
                    Awesome... :jiggy:

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X