Review thread for the Outlaw LFM-1 EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review thread for the Outlaw LFM-1 EX

Hi guys - I opened a thread on AVS for the new pair of Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX'es. They are currently for sale for $649 at Outlaw Audio.

Here are the factory specs:

Specifications
    Driver Type: Down Firing, 12" Long-throw Woofer
    Ports: Dual
    Amplifier Power Rating: 350WRMS; 1300W peak
    Frequency Response:
    one port plugged:
    16Hz. -180Hz. +/- 2 dB
    no ports plugged:
    22Hz. -180Hz. +/- 2 dB
    Crossover Type: Linkwitz-Reily 4th Order Low Pass Network
    Crossover Frequency: 30Hz to 180Hz and Bypass
    Phase: 0 to 180 Degrees
    SPL: 118dB (subject to placement and room gain)
    Dimensions: (HxWxD) 22.75" x 17" x 24 "
    Weight: 80 lbs

Here is a picture from their website (which does not do it justice):

When I first set them up, they were underwhelming. I bought duals and am using them colocated for now. I had used the dual port open, 25 Hz setting. Later, I changed the subwoofers to the single port open, 20 Hz setting and took them off the included discs and put them on a thick, but stirdy area rug which won't inhibit the driver in any way.

Here are the listening notes:

Tuesday, February 10 @ 9:03 PM:

The Outlaw LFM-1 EX'es are both unpacked, calibrated, and running in our home theater.

The MFW-15's they replace outclass them in every sense - slam, pace, depth, and overall power.

I am going to take a few days to get acclimated to these guys before commenting a lot.

It isn't that they are "bad" ... it's more a reminder of how good the MFW-15's are.

9:58 PM:

Gov (I had been asked how the Outlaws compared to the Hsu VTF-3.3) - I don't have the 3.3's here, and it's been over a year since hearing one. It seemed as if the Hsu subs we had here were more visceral and deep than the Outlaws. Right now, I am running the pair in dual port mode ... and need to tinker a bit.

I always loved the Hsu sound. These subs should be capable of better sound than they are delivering now. It was 5 years ago that we got the VTF-3.2's. They were great the first night.

It's time to tinker.

11:23 PM:

After some of that tinkering stuff, the Outlaws are now in the single port, 20 Hz mode. Also, they are sitting on a nice rug rather than the supplied discs. This is already an improvement.

The bass tightened up, and the added extension works well.

Wednsday, February 11 @ 9:57 PM:

Tonight it is Spiderman 2. Not only do I love the movie - it's a terrific bass fest.

I moved the Outlaws behind the sofa, much as the old VTF-3.2's and SVs 25-31 PC+ were. Then I reran the Marantz 8003 Audessey ... and the improvement is very nice.

When Spidey is trying to stop the train from going into the river, he first uses his feet against the railroad ties - and each one made the appropriate "thud" ... and when he enters Doc Ock's lair for the finale fight, the whole room was shaking with visceral bass.

As I type this, he and Doc Ock are fighting ... getting close to the end scene where the Doc handles the glowing tridium ball ... this is good stuff.

Ock is heading to the river ... this scene is intense bass.

Yup ... They are dialed in now.

Comment

The second night with the Outlaw Subwoofers was a lot of fun. This weekend is a long weekend with President's day - there will be a lot of additional listening tests plus some of the "what will they do" graphs on scenes like War of The Worlds and Pulse.

With winter weather, and outdoor GP session won't happen, but we will do what we can.

Last night's listening (Feb 11) has shown the Outlaw subs are definitely contenders in the $600-$700 class of subwoofer.

Additional notes will be posted in the second post here, while pictures in our home of the subs will be added to the first post.

Comments are welcome - I moved the thread here for two reasons:

1. We can be much more open about give and take here than on AVS.
      2. They are some excellent subwoofers from a company for whom I have much respect.

Comment

I've been following that thread over there. Did you close it down there? I have no idea why you would have :poke:

Comment

Frequent lurker, infrequent poster.

Curious to see what you think about the EX. I have a single unit in my system and like it. Run it in Maximum Extension (ME) mode as well, placed in a corner of the room - 15 x 25 x 9. Floor is carpeted.

Lots of huffing and puffing over at AVS already on your thread about the EX.

I'm hoping to learn something from your review and see if you may have some tips to improve the way I have it set up after you've worked with the EX for a while.

When I bought it I first considered the HSU VTF 3.3. Went with the Outlaw because it was downfiring, looked nicer and because the landed cost was lower than the HSU.

Comment

Skeeter - I did not close it down, but I am tired of spending 80% of the time answering stupid questions which have nothing to do with the performance of the product. :biglaugh:

Comment

Originally posted by ribbonking
              Frequent lurker, infrequent poster.

Curious to see what you think about the EX. I have a single unit in my system and like it. Run it in Maximum Extension (ME) mode as well, placed in a corner of the room - 15 x 25 x 9. Floor is carpeted.

Lots of huffing and puffing over at AVS already on your thread about the EX.

I'm hoping to learn something from your review and see if you may have some tips to improve the way I have it set up after you've worked with the EX for a while.

When I bought it I first considered the HSU VTF 3.3. Went with the Outlaw because it was downfiring, looked nicer and because the landed cost was lower than the HSU.
              RibbonKing - Hopefully this process will help somewhat. I will be out of the office after 11 eastern time today, and won't be back on line until after 8 tonight.

Please, when you can, post the rest of your system, and also what you currently think of your Ex.

Comment

I've had the EX for about 9 months and like it very much. This was the first quality subwoofer I've owned.

I get strong output with action movies - it will shake the room and you can feel the bass, even though the room is open to a large area on one side. I like its performance for music as well.

On the audio side in my system I have Aperion 6B fronts, Aperion 6C center and Emotiva ERD-1 surrounds. These are driven by an Onkyo TX-SR805.

Now, I realize this isn't the audiophile's dream system but it certainly performs well for me and I've had lots of fun with it.

Comment

Originally posted by craigsub
                  Skeeter - I did not close it down, but I am tired of spending 80% of the time answering stupid questions which have nothing to do with the performance of the product. :biglaugh:
                  Hey, craigsub - historically, I've found the Outlaw folks at AVS to be very polite, friendly and focused on optimizing the output of their subs. In fact, the tone and content of the conversation in the Outlaw sub owner's thread was one of the reasons I chose the EX.

Unfortunately, with the recent sale, we've added about 31 new owners (and purchasers waiting for delivery), not all of whom are as mature as we'd like. Sounds like a forum irritant of yours joined in as well.

Regardless, your experiences with the EX seem to mirror what some of us have experienced in the past, and I'm looking forward to your thoughts as you continue to tweak and test (including your thoughts on comparisons to other subs you've tested - even if the EX isn't declared the most awesome sub of all time :)).

Comment

Originally posted by ajstan99
                    Hey, craigsub - historically, I've found the Outlaw folks at AVS to be very polite, friendly and focused on optimizing the output of their subs. In fact, the tone and content of the conversation in the Outlaw sub owner's thread was one of the reasons I chose the EX.

Unfortunately, with the recent sale, we've added about 31 new owners (and purchasers waiting for delivery), not all of whom are as mature as we'd like. Sounds like a forum irritant of yours joined in as well.

Regardless, your experiences with the EX seem to mirror what some of us have experienced in the past, and I'm looking forward to your thoughts as you continue to tweak and test (including your thoughts on comparisons to other subs you've tested - even if the EX isn't declared the most awesome sub of all time :)).
                    I had actually opened the thread on AVS separately from the Outlaw thread to keep the "uglies" out of your thread. I agree, the Outlaw thread is comprised of a lot of pretty cool guys.

We will likely get less "views" here, but the overall process will be more fun.

As things progress, feel free to copy any pertinant info into the Outlaw thread on AVS.

See you guys tonight ...

OH ... RibbonKing - nice system ! :yes:

Comment

Originally posted by ribbonking
                      I've had the EX for about 9 months and like it very much. This was the first quality subwoofer I've owned.

I get strong output with action movies - it will shake the room and you can feel the bass, even though the room is open to a large area on one side. I like its performance for music as well.

On the audio side in my system I have Aperion 6B fronts, Aperion 6C center and Emotiva ERD-1 surrounds. These are driven by an Onkyo TX-SR805.

Now, I realize this isn't the audiophile's dream system but it certainly performs well for me and I've had lots of fun with it.
                      ribbonking - very nice system you have there, I'm sure it sounds great. The whole point of all of this audio stuff is to have fun and enjoy good sound. Glad to have you here and I'm sure Craig will be able to help you dial things in with your EX and Aperions. Quick question for you though. How do you like the Emotiva ERD-1's?
                      Originally posted by dvenardos, it mad me laugh and now it's my sig.
                      Originally posted by dvenardos
                      Your right, the TCA sub is crap, it couldn't possibly compete with an MFW-15 or a name brand 12" sub, and Jack and Ray are just schilling for their boss. We should know better than to listen to what those bozos have to say.

Comment

Glad you got around to reviewing my sub. :eyebrows:

Comment

Originally posted by a-rone
                          ribbonking - very nice system you have there, I'm sure it sounds great. The whole point of all of this audio stuff is to have fun and enjoy good sound. Glad to have you here and I'm sure Craig will be able to help you dial things in with your EX and Aperions. Quick question for you though. How do you like the Emotiva ERD-1's?
                          The ERD-1's are excellent bipole/dipole surrounds. Neutral, blend well with my other speakers. I run them in bipole mode. They are selling now for $249 a pair - a tremendous value. I recommend them frequently.

Comment

Good morning - There isn't much to report from last night. We had a swim meet against our "arch rival" team. In the four years my son's team has competed against them, we are 8-0 in dual meets and 3-0 in the district championships.

We have one more major meet to go, the final district championships for this senior class, on Feb-27/28.

Last night was just watching a DVD of "The Unit" - think "24" but with special forces rangers instead of Jack Bauer.

There are lots of explosions in this type of show, and the Outlaws are rocking the house totally.

I am looking forward to a long weekend of bass fest movies ... :thumbsup:

Comment

yep...enjoy the outlaw. Mine is liscensed to thrill. Do you like it as much as I do for music?

Comment

Working...
                              X