A special commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A special commission

(For want of a better place to post this, I'll drop it in here.)

From time to time we're asked to devise and produce very specific products for very particular friends and customers. Here's a taste of a recent such project that's completed design and is headed to final prototype.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lane1 1000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	78524

Name:	Lane3 1000.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	78525

Name:	Lane2 1000.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	78526

You're seeing a stacked laminate cabinet, milled from numerous blanks of 1.5" marine grade plywood, and standing about forty inches. A special tweeter assembly rides on top.

More on this unusual design as it occurs...

For Garo. RIP my friend.

Visit ElectronLuv for more.

Comment

Very interesting indeed! Lovely cabinet work and the tweeter housing is intriguing...:)

Best....Carlo.

Comment

All I can say is WOW... :eek:
        Samsung 55inch UN55C8000 TV
        Marantz SR5003 7.1 Receiver
        Samsung BD-D6700 Blu-Ray
        Apple TV 160gig (upgrading to 750gig soon)
        Harman Kardon 5 disc CD player
        Motorola HD DVR
        Klipsch RF-82 Mains
        Klipsch RC-64 Center
        Klipsch RS-42 surround's
        Klipsch RS-42 Rear Channel - single
        2 - AV123 MFW-15 Subwoofer's, V2 Amps - Moho Rosa Satin

Comment

Originally posted by Fatcat View Post
          Very interesting indeed! Lovely cabinet work and the tweeter housing is intriguing...:)
          Treble is a 1kHz solid aluminum Azura-style Tractrix horn loading a field-coil driven vintage Altec 800 series compression driver. The little power supply box energizes a electromagnetic coil in each channel's tweeter.

Cabinet is stacked laminate Baltic Birch, and the midwoofers are a staggered arrangement of two different kinds of French PHL 6.5" drivers.

Comment

Really beautiful stuff Jon!
            Would you ever consider offering this sort of finish as a special order option for the ARX (or any other) line. I have been bugging Craig for years (half jokingly, half not) to offer some basic veneer options on his speakers. I always understood and appreciated the rational as to why that wasn't possible although constantly busting his chops about it was half the fun! :)
            Now, with the advent of Chane, I'm curious to know whether other finish options might be looked at down the road. I may be in the minority but I know that I would pay a little extra to have some additional choices beyond simply black.

Best.....Carlo.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatcat View Post
              Would you ever consider offering this sort of finish as a special order option for the ARX (or any other) line.
              This year's project is to add the capacity for Chane to offer nearly anything in nearly any finish. We can't actually offer everything in any finish in a production product of course, but in theory there'll be few things we cannot do.

For models currently in PVC, multi-part black paint is foremost, but for cabinets whose exteriors lend themselves to veneer, we could theoretically veneer them in nearly anything.

Comment

Working...
              X