Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In wall speaker cable that has 4 cables instead of 2?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In wall speaker cable that has 4 cables instead of 2?!?!

When I bought my home 6 years ago or so, I had it prewired with speaker cables in the walls. I told the builder this would be for a 7.1 setup.

They put the cables where I wanted, but there was always an extra 1 in the corner which I'd always assumed was for the sub.

I've used all 7 of em up till now.

But the other day I decided to make use of the 1 in the corner.

I took the wall cover off today and pulled out the wire, and unlike all the other 7 cables that had a red and a white cable in it's sleeve, this 1 has those plus an additional black and green wire.

Like this here...

I was just assuming I can use the red and white for a speaker, but I just wanted to make sure from someone who really knows.

And if I can, what the hell are the green and black cables for? :biglaugh:

Thanks

You can just use the conductors you need on each side, just cut off and tape off the other ones not utilized.

No idea what the extra two conductors are for though ...

Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott.

That's what I figured. Glad to hear from others like yourself. :salute:

I did some snooping around trying to find out what the extra 2 cables are for and I still don't know. :applause:

Comment

I was thinking maybe for Balance XLR termination but I think those only take 3 conductors ... Maybe for doing high level inputs for left and right to your sub? That might be why so you can sum the inputs in case your sub doesn't have a low level input? Most logical thing I can think of.

Comment

Installers use these four conductor cables all the time. Mostly when you want to run a stereo signal from a main location to a remote one. Easier to run a single cable rather than two.

For example, from a centrally located multi-channel amp to multiple remote rooms with volume controls. You run the single four conductor cable from the central closet to the volume control.

Comment

Originally posted by J&D
            Installers use these four conductor cables all the time. Mostly when you want to run a stereo signal from a main location to a remote one. Easier to run a single cable rather than two.

For example, from a centrally located multi-channel amp to multiple remote rooms with volume controls. You run the single four conductor cable from the central closet to the volume control.
            So I can still use this cable for hooking up a speaker to it right?

Just use the white and the red?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Boober,

Your installer ran 4 conductor wire when he only needed to run two. No worries, he actually did you a favor as the 4 conductors give you options. You can simply run red +, black - and ignore the other wires. This is the simplest way to do it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help. :D :salute:

Comment

Working...
                X