Fixing a Dayton SA1000's hum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing a Dayton SA1000's hum.

I posted this over on AVS as well, but I figure there's a better chance that someone here will have done this already... :)

------------------------------------------
    A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a used Dayton SA1000. It was extremely quiet (no humming, buzzing or any other sounds) when I got it, and for the first week it remained that way. Then it started humming quite noticeably (and the hum is amplified through the driver).

By comparison, the other SA1000 I have is still extremely quiet.

Having run a bunch of the usual tests on it to rule out other problems (like ground loop), I'm certain it's a problem with the amp itself. I read somewhere - regarding a different amp - that defective or worn "filter caps" may be to blame and that these usually can be replaced.

Has anyone ever replaced filter caps on an SA1000? If so:
    - could you please indicate which parts you used as a replacement;
    - whether a relative novice like me (with some, but not a lot, of soldering experience) could do the repair himself; and
    - how well it worked out?

Thanks! :salute:

You try asking sandbagger?

Comment

Originally posted by boober
      You try asking sandbagger?
      Me ?? :eek:

sounds like a ground loop but with nothing plugged in?

There are 4 caps next to the heat sinks on the input board. Take a look at the tops of the 4 caps and see if they are swollen?

I have had a total of 1 of these amps fail and it was either that caps went bad and took out the transistors or the transistors failed and took out the caps. my guess is bad caps.

I would put a name brand caps of the same voltage but you could go up one voltage level.
      Kevin
      Motor City Custom Audio
      Your Onix and MELODY Dealer for MI,IN,IL,MO,IA,MN,WI and Canada
      Bringing you Chopped/Cut/Modified Subwoofer Kits and even Flames if you want

Comment

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. :) I'll open up the amp when I get a moment and have a look at the caps.

Comment

No guarantee that is the problem as these have been rock solid for me.

But the one that I did have that had a hum that is what I found.

Originally posted by eljay
          Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. :) I'll open up the amp when I get a moment and have a look at the caps.
          Kevin
          Motor City Custom Audio

Comment

Fair enough. :)

Comment

I haven't opened up the "new" amp yet - I'm saving that for the weekend - but because it was on sale for $149 ($100 off) at FutureShop I thought I'd take a risk-free chance on a Monster PowerCenter HTS1600, just to see what would happen.

And what happened is that the hum was attenuated quite a bit. Not eliminated, but significantly quieter. That said, my "old" amp - which was plugged directly into an outlet, and not into the HTS1600 - was still dead quiet. (Which is how the "new" amp was for the first week I had it.)

So...what does this mean? Is a ground loop still ruled out, or does this rule it back in? Or does it just mean that the HTS1600 somehow massages the S:N ratio to an acceptable level, but that a bum capacitor might still be the most likely culprit?

Thoughts/comments are appreciated. Thanks! :)

Comment

does it hummmmmm without a signal rca cable hooked up?
                Kevin
                Motor City Custom Audio

Comment

It hums with nothing hooked up to it and regardless of which outlet in the house I plug it into.

Comment

Working...
                  X