Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAL
    replied
    Without a lot of hours on the stock DAC-60, I noticed these things.

1) The volume level on the stock unit sounds slightly lower than the moded unit.

2) The low frequencies sound rolled off compared to the Sonic Craft moded unit.

3) The high frequencies sound rolled off compared to the Sonic Craft moded unit.

4) The midrange is very nice.

5) Female voices have some sibilance problems.

Giving the unit some more burn-in time before the next listening session. Will measure the output level of both units to see if the levels are different.

Leave a comment:

• HAL
    replied
    Craig just announced that he has the DACMAN and Gizmo 1.1 in house for listening tests.

This should be interesting to read about. :)

Leave a comment:

• HAL
    replied
    The stock DAC-60 arrived in fine shape today. It was brand new in the box, so giving it some burn-in time before making any observations.

I have the Integra DPS-8.3 Universal Player connected to the stock DAC-60 via Coaxial digital input and Level 1+ moded DAC-60 via Fiber optic digital input. They can both be used at the same time. Will have to put the Pass Labs Aleph P preamp back in the system so I can use the remote to switch inputs for the comparisons.

There is one more optical output from the Integra. Will try putting the P-T P-3A with MW Level II mods on line as well. Then it will be an A/B/C listening party. :)

Leave a comment:

• HAL
    replied
    WooHoo! The stock DAC-60 and parts should be here Monday! :)

Leave a comment:

• lngbruno
    replied
    Wes,

Thank you for the explaination. I only have 2ch playback systems, so the 5.1format doesn't interest me. Yes, I understand it is an analog version, but it sounds very good and allows me to listen to live performances via my 2ch rig(s). :applause:

Lou

Leave a comment:

• NekoAudio
    replied
    DVD-Audio discs contain 5.1 channels in MLP format. Downmixing MLP 5.1 to PCM 2.0 is sort of like creating an MPEG-2 VCD of your Blu-ray movie. :)

Plus, the technique you just described is to make an analog recording of the DVD-Audio content after decode. You wouldn't end up with a digital transcode of the original source material.

Leave a comment:

• lngbruno
    replied
    Wes,

What do you mean you can't rip your DVD-Audio disc? :scratchchin:

Why not just rip them to redbook format?

I have several DVD's that I ripped the audio to cdR using a DVD player via RCA's into a stand-alone burner and it worked fine. :yes:

Lou

Leave a comment:

• HAL
    replied
    The Reference Recording HRx discs are 24bit/176.4KHz, *.wav files directly from the original HDCD recorder. Those sound really good if you like the classical recordings they have available.

Leave a comment:

• NekoAudio
    replied
    I guess you can always buy high resolution music at places like HDtracks. The inability to rip my DVD-Audio discs has left me not listening to them. :(

Leave a comment:

• HAL
    replied
    I do not know of a way to rip DVD-A data to hard drive. Have not tried a DVD-A with something like Adobe Audition to playback the HiRez data via USB. The SACD encoding is totally different and only an A/D of the analog feed will get PCM data without the DSD hardware.

I have been using the HiRez wave files from my recording setup to make DVD-A's or play the files back via USB with Adobe Audition.

Leave a comment:

• NekoAudio
    replied
    Originally posted by HAL
    The Oppo 981 and the Integra DPS-8.3 will output 24bit/96KHz stereo PCM data to an external DAC without any upsampling from a DVD-A source via the coaxial digital output.

Using a PC USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 link will support at least a 24bit/96KHz digital stereo feed to an external DAC like the M-Audio Audiophile USB.
    (This is Josuah.)

Ah, I thought the OPPO only did it over HDMI and not also over coax.

Do you have a way of ripping SACD or DVD-Audio to your computer? And some player software to get it to transmit PCM instead of DSD or MLP?

I haven't found one, although I didn't look too hard because the discs I have are multi-channel and I'm not aware of any processors or DACs that accept multi-channel over coax or optical.

Leave a comment:

• HAL
    replied
    Originally posted by arthurs
    Hal, I have Danny's level 2 DAC-60 here and it's pretty sweet. I'll be curious to hear your impressions of the level 1.
    Ok, but I want to hear your in depth listening impressions of the Level II moded DAC-60. (where is a drooling smiley when you need it?)

Did some listening tonight with the Level I+ moded DAC-60 and the Dodd battery preamp with the Miniwatt 7308's installed. Seems to have everything the Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8's had plus a bit more extended HF response. :)

The stock DAC-60 should be here on 16 Feb to start listening comparisons.

Leave a comment:

• HAL
    replied
    Originally posted by Josuah
    Well, most audio DACs won't decode DVD-A or SACD, so that wouldn't work to my knowledge. The only time I've seen DVD-A or SACD transmitted digitally is over HDMI.

If your source will allow interpolation, upsampling, or oversampling, and you like that, then you might want a DAC that supports higher resolutions and sample rates. Many DACs will do that internally, because people usually assume 24-bit and 192kHz is better than 16-bit and 44.1kHz. The DAC-60 will decode direct 24bit/96KHz PCM digital data.

The downside is that DACs usually perform worse at higher sample rates. And unless you're attempting to apply filter transforms, going from 44.1kHz to 192kHz doesn't buy much. 16-bit to 24-bit would be more interesting.
    The Oppo 981 and the Integra DPS-8.3 will output 24bit/96KHz stereo PCM data to an external DAC without any upsampling from a DVD-A source via the coaxial digital output. SACD is 2.88MHz bit stream and will not go over any digital output other than HDMI.

The DAC-60 will directly decode a 24bit/96KHz PCM digital signal without any upsampling.

I have mastered DVD-A's with discWelder Steel from my home recordings at 24bit/96KHz stereo and have direct playback on both the Oppo and Integra.

Using a PC USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 link will support at least a 24bit/96KHz digital stereo feed to an external DAC like the M-Audio Audiophile USB.

Leave a comment:

• arthurs
    replied
    Hal, I have Danny's level 2 DAC-60 here and it's pretty sweet. I'll be curious to hear your impressions of the level 1.

Leave a comment:

• Josuah
    replied
    Well, most audio DACs won't decode DVD-A or SACD, so that wouldn't work to my knowledge. The only time I've seen DVD-A or SACD transmitted digitally is over HDMI.

If your source will allow interpolation, upsampling, or oversampling, and you like that, then you might want a DAC that supports higher resolutions and sample rates. Many DACs will do that internally, because people usually assume 24-bit and 192kHz is better than 16-bit and 44.1kHz.

The downside is that DACs usually perform worse at higher sample rates. And unless you're attempting to apply filter transforms, going from 44.1kHz to 192kHz doesn't buy much. 16-bit to 24-bit would be more interesting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X