No announcement yet.

Fun DAC comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not know of a way to rip DVD-A data to hard drive. Have not tried a DVD-A with something like Adobe Audition to playback the HiRez data via USB. The SACD encoding is totally different and only an A/D of the analog feed will get PCM data without the DSD hardware.

I have been using the HiRez wave files from my recording setup to make DVD-A's or play the files back via USB with Adobe Audition.
    Better living through Audio Nirvana!

Comment

I guess you can always buy high resolution music at places like HDtracks. The inability to rip my DVD-Audio discs has left me not listening to them. :(
      Wes Miaw, Neko Audio LLC
      www.NekoAudio.com

Comment

The Reference Recording HRx discs are 24bit/176.4KHz, *.wav files directly from the original HDCD recorder. Those sound really good if you like the classical recordings they have available.

Comment

Wes,

What do you mean you can't rip your DVD-Audio disc? :scratchchin:

Why not just rip them to redbook format?

I have several DVD's that I ripped the audio to cdR using a DVD player via RCA's into a stand-alone burner and it worked fine. :yes:

Lou

Comment

DVD-Audio discs contain 5.1 channels in MLP format. Downmixing MLP 5.1 to PCM 2.0 is sort of like creating an MPEG-2 VCD of your Blu-ray movie. :)

Plus, the technique you just described is to make an analog recording of the DVD-Audio content after decode. You wouldn't end up with a digital transcode of the original source material.
            Wes Miaw, Neko Audio LLC
            www.NekoAudio.com

Comment

Wes,

Thank you for the explaination. I only have 2ch playback systems, so the 5.1format doesn't interest me. Yes, I understand it is an analog version, but it sounds very good and allows me to listen to live performances via my 2ch rig(s). :applause:

Lou

Comment

WooHoo! The stock DAC-60 and parts should be here Monday! :)

Comment

The stock DAC-60 arrived in fine shape today. It was brand new in the box, so giving it some burn-in time before making any observations.

I have the Integra DPS-8.3 Universal Player connected to the stock DAC-60 via Coaxial digital input and Level 1+ moded DAC-60 via Fiber optic digital input. They can both be used at the same time. Will have to put the Pass Labs Aleph P preamp back in the system so I can use the remote to switch inputs for the comparisons.

There is one more optical output from the Integra. Will try putting the P-T P-3A with MW Level II mods on line as well. Then it will be an A/B/C listening party. :)

Comment

Craig just announced that he has the DACMAN and Gizmo 1.1 in house for listening tests.

This should be interesting to read about. :)

Comment

Without a lot of hours on the stock DAC-60, I noticed these things.

1) The volume level on the stock unit sounds slightly lower than the moded unit.

2) The low frequencies sound rolled off compared to the Sonic Craft moded unit.

3) The high frequencies sound rolled off compared to the Sonic Craft moded unit.

4) The midrange is very nice.

5) Female voices have some sibilance problems.

Giving the unit some more burn-in time before the next listening session. Will measure the output level of both units to see if the levels are different.

Comment

Working...
                      X