Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denon AVR 988 + 4 ohm Speakers = ???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Denon AVR 988 + 4 ohm Speakers = ???

    Hi all - I have a Denon 988 receiver and recently bought a pair of Emotiva outdoor speakers I was planning on running off the "B" front speaker output of the receiver.

    After looking at the owners manual for the Denon, it is not rated for 4 ohm loads. Does anyone have any experience with running a Denon at 4ohms?

    These are outdoor as won't be played at high volume. Will this work or is the receiver going to cry about this?

    I am open for suggestions.

    Thanks
    Dave

  • #2
    As long as you play at moderate levels you should be fine.

    However, I took a Denon in for warranty repair and when they found out I was running Vandersteen's (5.3 ohms) they said they wouldn't fix it again as the warranty didn't cover speakers less than 6 ohms.

    I like to turn it up. I bought Emotiva's.
    Vandersteen 3a sigs, Vandersteen center VCC-5 & surrounds
    (2) Chase 18.2 subs
    Emotiva UMC-1, XPA-2, XPA-5
    Oppo 85
    Epson 8500UB Seymour acoustically transparent screen
    ASC tube traps and multiple Sonex panels

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't do it. Most of today's receivers can not power 4ohm speakers worth a fart. Go with 8 ohm speakers or get a small external amp.
      I came, I saw, I purchased.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by diamonddelts
        Don't do it. Most of today's receivers can not power 4ohm speakers worth a fart. Go with 8 ohm speakers or get a small external amp.
        Any suggestions for a cheap amp? I hate to have a bunch of money tied up in a outdoor setup.

        Thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Venom93
          Any suggestions for a cheap amp? I hate to have a bunch of money tied up in a outdoor setup.

          Thanks
          Cheap is a relative term. What is your budget?
          I came, I saw, I purchased.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by diamonddelts
            Cheap is a relative term. What is your budget?
            Yeah, I know it is. That's were it gets cloudy. :doh! 1: I've thought about ordering the Emo mini amp for $179, but if I spend that much I'd probably just go ahead and get the UPA 500 for $350 and use 2 of the channels to power the outdoor speakers and the other 3 for LCR. :biglaugh:

            So I guess in order not to spend $350, I'd be looking for something under $100.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Venom93
              Yeah, I know it is. That's were it gets cloudy. :doh! 1: I've thought about ordering the Emo mini amp for $179, but if I spend that much I'd probably just go ahead and get the UPA 500 for $350 and use 2 of the channels to power the outdoor speakers and the other 3 for LCR. :biglaugh:

              So I guess in order not to spend $350, I'd be looking for something under $100.
              These are the cheapest options I know of.
              http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...=Behringer_VD1

              http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=248-484

              http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-812

              http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-601

              http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=310-2214


              Entire list of cheap external amps from PE

              http://www.parts-express.com/cat/amplifiers/106?pg=1
              I came, I saw, I purchased.

              Comment

              Working...
              X