Questions - Dayton 15" HO Subs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions - Dayton 15" HO Subs

I currently have 2 older 12" GR subs. I have been debating about upgrading to something else.

The Dayton 15" HO have caught my attention from some readings. I am looking for something for music/HT 50% each. I would want to go with a dual setup.

1) Would sealed box be best route to go? If so How big?
    2) What amp would be best fit for this build?

I have come across this - http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoof...5-sub-kit.html

Is the box big enough? Is the 300 watt BASH amplifier enough for each sub?

I don't have the tools to build the boxes myself.

Thanks

Chad

Chad - If it helps, we have 15 cabinets that are the same size as the VS-18.1. They were done with a 15 inch cutout for the LMS-15R from TC Sounds.

We can put the Dayton driver in for $500 per enclosure.

I have also tried both amps in the kits ... they are not even close to worthy of the driver.

Of course, a single VS-15.1 with the Sub1 is $895 plus shipping ...

Comment

Chad - DIYgroup makes some awesome flatpacks, but I agree with Craig and would much rather see you go to a different amp choice. I think the inuke lineup provides some awesome bang for the buck and would be a great alternative.

If you're wanting to keep it simple and/or save time, Craig's packages are very hard to beat. It's like getting labor for 5.00 a hour when you consider your time invested. :biglaugh:

Comment

Gorilla - Please let the DIY guys know that I plan on making the MQ-600 available to them when it arrives. As things progress over the next year, I may have some additional amps available.

Finding good amplification is a challenge. It's actually more difficult than finding the drivers.

Comment

Craig - Will do sir. Do we have an idea of specs/measurements that I could share? You know those guys and they want every last detail, LOL. Will these be a viable alternatives to the clones?

I'm going to want something to drive my 8 18s with soon. I've been looking hard at the FP14K clones, but the reliability issues still bother me.

Comment

The MQ-600 is conservatively rated at 900 WRMS x 2 channels at 4 ohms. It is built like a tank - weighs about 45 pounds. The fan is quiet, and give it Dual SS-18.2's or Dual Dayton cabinets each with two drivers like yours, and it's a heck of a set up.

Reliability will be better, and fan noise much less.

Two MQ-600's will be $1200, with a one year warranty.

That's more money than the clones, but less worry.

I would not necessarily talk someone out of the clones, but rather want to offer an alternative to someone looking for less risk.

Comment

Craig - Can we assume these will close to double down at 2 ohms? This is also assuming they are stable in this configuration as well.

Bridgeable into 4 or 8 ohms? THD numbers? 15A or 20A line required? Class D, B, G, or H? Any idea on general efficiency?

Thanks!

Comment

I am looking at keeping the box like the size from the link - 19.5" x 19.5" x 20.25" deep

Comment

Originally posted by cburbs
                  I am looking at keeping the box like the size from the link - 19.5" x 19.5" x 20.25" deep
                  That is a good sized box for one of the 15" HOs. A popular option right now is the 15" DVC's which are on sale right now (for the next few days) for 99.00 shipped. These are USA made and I'm guessing made by Eminence?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-190

Comment

Originally posted by Gorilla83
                    That is a good sized box for one of the 15" HOs. A popular option right now is the 15" DVC's which are on sale right now (for the next few days) for 99.00 shipped. These are USA made and I'm guessing made by Eminence?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-190
                    Those sure look A LOT like the MFW-15 drivers (which were made by Eminence) except these ones are a DVC and the MFW's were not (at least that I remember). Definitely don't look as stout as the Reference line though ...

Scott

Comment

So what would be some amp options for a dual setup of these?

Both internal and external.

Comment

Working...
                      X