Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dac or ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dac or ?

    I have a toshiba universal... Best buy bought, that sounds like crap using the analogues for 2-channel audio. Would a cheap DAC be worth the cost to make this unit viable? Or should another route be taken here?

    :scratchchin:

    What DAC would be a cheap, good solution for this?
    Time waits for no man.

  • #2
    Define cheap...
    Emac has a thread over at av123 about modding an earlier version of this dac.
    http://www.audio-magus.com/Super_Pro.../dac707usb.htm

    I use the CI audio VDA-2 and highly recommend it:
    http://www.ciaudio.com/

    edit: it should work fine as a transport if that is your concern.

    Comment


    • #3
      $100 or less... It will be connected to an $80 BestBuy universal. Looking to get 2-channel audio quality similar to my denon 2910 dvd player out of this unit. For much over $100, I'd just look into getting a dedicated CD player such as an NAD or cambridge. I'm looking for mid-fi cd player audio sound out of my low grade toshiba dvd player... and of course it will play dvd's as well. :dizzy:

      Thanks
      Time waits for no man.

      Comment


      • #4
        Jethro, if the cd/dvd player has digital out and your receiver or prepro has digital in, then connect with a digital interconnect or an optic. That way you are using the DAC in the receiver or pre/pro.
        Randy
        Wilson Sophia 2/BAT VK-600SE/BAT VK-52SE/BAT VK-5DSE/Fathom 113 x2/Emotiva DMC-1 and MPS-1/Oppo BDP-83 SE/Exact Power/SMS-1 bass equalizer

        Comment


        • #5
          It has digital outs but the integrated's that I'll be using are the gizmo and/or a harman kardon 3485 neither of which have DACs built into them or digital inputs.
          Time waits for no man.

          Comment


          • #6
            Here is this thread where everyone posted their favorites:
            http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/...read.php?t=270

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dvenardos
              Here is this thread where everyone posted their favorites:
              http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/...read.php?t=270
              Is the dac707 one of the cheapest you have encountered? The cost of most of those DAC's in the link would steer me into a new CD player instead I think.
              Time waits for no man.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jethro
                Is the dac707 one of the cheapest you have encountered? The cost of most of those DAC's in the link would steer me into a new CD player instead I think.
                It is the cheapest one that I have heard anyone with an opinion that I would listen to has said is any good.

                Personally, I would rather spend the money on a good DAC then on a CD player. A good DAC will make a cheap CD player sound fantastic and you can also use it with a squeezebox or similar device.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dvenardos
                  It is the cheapest one that I have heard anyone with an opinion that I would listen to has said is any good.

                  Personally, I would rather spend the money on a good DAC then on a CD player. A good DAC will make a cheap CD player sound fantastic and you can also use it with a squeezebox or similar device.
                  I'm going to buy that super dac707. Is their a good place to buy it anyone knows of or is audiomagus the only place?
                  Time waits for no man.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jethro
                    I'm going to buy that super dac707. Is their a good place to buy it anyone knows of or is audiomagus the only place?
                    Cool, let us know how you like it.
                    I couldn't find anyplace cheaper and the others were oddball places anyway. They are involved in the design of many of the products they sell.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'd put CD player money towards a Squeezebox or something along those lines. If you get the DAC it will work with the CD now and the SB later.

                      I have and love the Zero DAC from Hong Kong by way of eBay and have been really happy with it. Depending on Op-Amp upgrades it is between $130 and $180 roughly.

                      Jim C

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bunnyma357
                        I'd put CD player money towards a Squeezebox or something along those lines. If you get the DAC it will work with the CD now and the SB later.

                        I have and love the Zero DAC from Hong Kong by way of eBay and have been really happy with it. Depending on Op-Amp upgrades it is between $130 and $180 roughly.

                        Jim C
                        Hey Jim I went over to ebay to check these out and I'm lost as to which one I should be looking at. I type in zero dac and I get a bunch of VERY similar DACs but they all say they are headphone amps too? Not sure if I'm looking at the right item... a little help please :scratchchin:

                        Thanks

                        Jethro
                        Time waits for no man.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jethro
                          Hey Jim I went over to ebay to check these out and I'm lost as to which one I should be looking at. I type in zero dac and I get a bunch of VERY similar DACs but they all say they are headphone amps too? Not sure if I'm looking at the right item... a little help please :scratchchin:

                          Thanks

                          Jethro
                          That's correct it is a DAC and a headphone amp. One optical and one coaxial input. The most information on it is on Head Fi.

                          It comes with sockets for the OpAmps, so it is a really simple mod to change them out, kind of like tube rolling. Compared to the SB3's internal DAC I get a little more presence and detail, maybe a little brighter, but slightly less harsh. It is fairly subtle, but very easy to hear if you do a level matched A/B.

                          I don't have any other DACs to compare it to, so I don't know how it would stack up to the competition.

                          Link to eBay (No affiliation with seller - there are many vendors - the one I bought from no longer lists them (Gigaworks)):

                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ZERO-24-192-DAC-...3A1%7C294%3A50

                          Link to Massive Head Fi thread (500+ Pages):

                          http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...re-amp-269458/

                          Jim C

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've bought the dac707 on the av123 Classified to play FLACs from my laptop using the 707 USB input. I am quite happy with it! :jiggy:

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I've thought it over a bit, and am going with the 707. To me, it makes more sense. I'll let you know what I think compared to the crap I have laying around over here :huge:
                              Time waits for no man.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X