Sub Amp decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub Amp decision

Been following many threads on sub amp choices. The Lab Grupen "clone amp" from Sanway seems promising....but sketchy. I have read that Craig is coming up with a few nice amps....(600 in particular) to drive the SS-18.2P. Has anyone considered the amps from SpeakerPower? Plate amps capable of 4000W into 2 Ohms/2400W into 4 Ohms/1300W into 8Ohms! No fans and quiet. They will provide a stand alone design....or just mount the plate amp in a separate enclosure. These sound great.....am I missing something here?:confused:

http://www.speakerpower.net/index.html

Originally posted by Mike Sloan
    Been following many threads on sub amp choices. The Lab Grupen "clone amp" from Sanway seems promising....but sketchy. I have read that Craig is coming up with a few nice amps....(600 in particular) to drive the SS-18.2P. Has anyone considered the amps from SpeakerPower? Plate amps capable of 4000W into 2 Ohms/2400W into 4 Ohms/1300W into 8Ohms! No fans and quiet. They will provide a stand alone design....or just mount the plate amp in a separate enclosure. These sound great.....am I missing something here?:confused:

And the price is?

In the Submersive HP, they use this with 2 DSP modes, so, it has a built in DSP as well that doesn't appear to be programmable by the user. Not sure, but think it's also the amp used in the powered Captivator also with DSP. Already, Craig would be competing with availability from a company that may already be producing at it's maximum rate?

I would think Craig is investigating every avenue possible - the future choice of a pre-programed mini-DSP, that can also be programed and tailored further by the user looks like a super idea for that part, and no doubt a more universal choice for budget minded consumers.

It would be nice if he could just reveal every critical business decision he makes! :doh! 1:

Comment

The price is: SP1-4000 $1299 4000W/2, 2400W/4, 1300W/8
      SP1-2400 $1199 2400/4, 1300W/8

I am not asking the question from a "marketing perspective or whether Craig is going to sell these"....just curious as to whether these are good amps period.

The "clone amp" from Sanway is around $700.00 to $800.00 with no warranty and questionable reliability. The Crown XLS 5000 appears to have loud fans and a significant rolloff below 22hz. The Lab Gruppen seems awesome....but is $6000.00! I currently have a a Dayton SA 1000 and could purchase an additional one....but that would give me around 400+ Watts/driver and I have read that the 18.2's sound better with more on tap. Considering purchasing (2) 18.2P subs and would like to go "overkill" on the amplification. I have never been in a situation where I regretted having too much power.

The SP1-4000 ($1299 4000W/2Ohm) is stable into 2 Ohms and would appear to have enough power to run (2) 18.2's at 1000Watts/driver. I don't know whether running the 18.2"s in parallel at 2 Ohms is a good idea from a "dampening" perspective?;)

Just curious to find out if anybody has experience with these amps or whether I should steer clear for reasons I am not aware of.

Craig mentions a "model 1300 amp" that he was trying with the Ultra driver. This sounds like a way to go....1300W X 2 into 8Ohms.....2000+W into 4 Ohms???

Anyone one know when this amp will be available for purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sloan

The MQ-600 allows for more flexibility at a lower cost. One MQ-600 and a miniDSP cost $700, will power dual 18.2's and handle the chore of processing signals for two separate subwoofer channels. Plus, you can tailor the miniDSP EQ to your need/taste if need be.

It would take $2398 worth of SpeakerPower amps to match this flexibility, and you still cannot change the EQ.

Comment

Sounds very interesting and much more economical! Where is there more info on the Mini DSP? How does it work?:applause:

Mike

Comment

I'm not sure which model CHT will be using, but it will be similar or the same as this.

http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...ox/minidsp-2x4

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract
              I'm not sure which model CHT will be using, but it will be similar or the same as this.

http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...ox/minidsp-2x4
              Terrasact, I saw SPL graphs of the SS.18 pair just using the basic Denon's multiEQ. The results look pretty good. What can we expect from the miniDSP? Thank you.

Comment

Besides a great pricing structure and the ability to upgrade as funds allow, the miniDSP combined with the MQ-600 will add the ability to EQ more than one subwoofer output, for starters. Here is more.

Originally posted by craigsub
                Mini DSP Custom Boxes ... We are working with them on a box for our Sealed and Vented subs. Our sealed subs work great with Audyssey Multi EQ XT/XT-32 enhanced receivers or processors. The Mini DSP for sealed will come programmed so the SS-18 series subs will be approximately +/- 4 dB from 20 to 80 Hz anechoic, with a fairly gentle slope from 45 to 20 Hz. This curve will work well with most rooms.

The end user will also be able to change this into a full LT curve, should he want to.

For the vented sub (VS-18.1), it will feature a sharp cut below 15 Hz.

Comment

Very good read thanks.
                  engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Comment

I was able to get flat to 9 hz using the Minidsp and the 600 with 2 18.2's in the front and back walls in the center. I have yet to get the 600 to show more than 1/3 power rating as well on all the most challenging scenes. I'm totally sold in that sucker.
                    LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
                    Subs: 4 x 18.2
                    Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

Comment

Working...
                    X