Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Receiver Debate

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Receiver Debate

    I'm looking into getting a new receiver. I currently have a Pioneer VSX-1015TX. I think I would like something with something Audyssey XT32. As an owner of dual VS-18.1s, I definitely want to have the ability to EQ the subs. Since I have only a single amp (dayton in this case), I don't thing I need to be able to EQ multiple.

    My budget is approx. 800 - 1000. I'm looking primarily at Onkyo and Denon. I think the Onkyo 818 would be a pretty good deal, but I've also been thinking about the 4311ci.:confused: The denon seems to be a bit over my range. I'm curious to hear what others' experiences are with these models or even get recommendations of other makes/models for me to think about.

    Any input is appreciated. :D

  • #2
    I bought the 818 about 6 weeks ago or so and am very pleased with it. It's the most I've ever spent on an AVR though so I don't really have any comparable experience with other similarily priced AVR's.

    I bought it mainly to try out Audeyssey and for the ability to finally run a 9 channel speaker set up.

    The 818 replaced a going on 4 year old Yamaha RX-V663 that was somewhat entry level being priced at $400 brand new right when it first came out.

    I was very happy with the results of the 663 for the last 4 years that I've owned it. When I first got the 818 I ran it for a few weeks without running XT32. Just so that I could get an idea of how it sounds with it off. I then ran it and was very very happy with the improvements.

    The difference in SQ between other AVR's I've owned and the 818 is like night and day for me. The SQ is just so much more better than anything I'd ever heard.

    I'm using 2 XPA-5's to power all 9 of my speakers so I have no experience with the built in amp on the 818.

    The only slight issue I have with the 818, is what it's done for my dual VS18's. Before when I was running just the EQ on the Dayton amp, I had an incredibly almost completely flat response with my 2 subs. I didn't run REW or anything like that, this is just from running test tones and checking levels with a Radio Shack SPL meter.

    Now that I have the XT32 utilized, it is no longer quite as flat as it used to be. I did start a thread about this here at CHT looking for help on how to properly setup my subs with Audessey, as I had made some noobish mistakes, and have since greatly improved the flatness of my subs' response.

    It's still not quite as good as it used to be, but I'm thinking I just need to take a bit more to figure out and tweak it a bit more to get it as good as it could be.

    I just haven't felt like messing around with it lately. :peeping:

    I wonder if maybe part of the issue with that is, the fact that I now have 2 EQ's EQ'ing my subs, the Dayton and the 818, so maybe I need to keep that in mind when running Audeyssey and when setting the settings on my Dayton amp. Do I disable the settings on my Dayton before running Audeyssey....? Leave it as is and then run Audeyssey...?

    I need to revisit that thread and take some time to get my subs better optimized sometime here eventually. I'm sure it's something I did wrong when setting things up. I just had never had any experience with running an EQ setup on an AVr before is all. :cool:

    Anyways, I have no complaints at all with the 818. I've tried some of the built in apps on it like Pandora, and those worked fine for me.

    I've been following on a regular basis, the 818 owners thread at AVS, and there have been a few people who have noticed some minor quirky issues with the 818, but overall it's gotten lots of positive feedback on it.

    I'm loving the SQ on it, and also the PQ improvements I've noticed from it to. :D

    The only downfall to it and this is really minor. Especially when you consider the price, (I paid $880 for my 818 online from an authorized dealer.) is that some people have complained about the 818 not having Sub EQ HT. But from all that I've read, that's not really that big a deal at all. But your opinion may vary on that subject. For me it's a non issue in my opinion. It's just that seems to have been a big reason why some people are getting the 4311 over the 818 is all.

    To date the 818 looks to be the cheapest AVR out there that has XT32 as far as I know. And I've looked alot.

    Comment


    • #3
      Does the 818 let you grab EQ images? I would be curious to see what it did with your response pre Audyssey.

      My plan was to zero everything out on the Dayton prior to running the setup on whatever receiver I finally get. I could then tweak the eq to my liking without turning off the Audyssey settings. This would be easy to remember that Audyssey was done on the stock Dayton curve.

      Have you played with any of the Dynamic volume settings. Does it help reduce the dynamics when listening at more reasonable levels?

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't think the 818 can let you grab EQ images, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure it doesn't though but don't just take my word for it.

        As far as all the dynamic volume settings, I've never ever used those and I hate them as well. :D

        I'm a single guy who doesn't have to worry about complaints from neighbors or anything like that, so I just crank my setup when ever I watch or listen to stuff. When I have guests over I just run all that stuff off as well.

        I do know that I have read from other people that they were happy with those settings on their 818's in the AVS 818 thread. I don't remember ever reading any complaints on it and I do know that some people had liked how it handled the variances in volume that they were hearing.

        I think you're right on the Dayton, just zeroing it out and then running Audeyssey, maybe that's what I should have done. I'll have to try that here sometime soon.

        Comment


        • #5
          XT32 did do an excellent job on setting my levels and everything once it was done. Everything just sounds more precise and life like than I've ever heard before. To me it was just a huge upgrade getting this AVR. :)

          Comment


          • #6
            Kinda off topic, but interesting, the Onkyo 5010 will be a 11.4 receiver. Still only 9 internal amps, but 4 sub outs! You'd have to get something like 2 sub2 amps when available and 4 18.1s (or if you're over the top like MKtheater/Diamonddelts, 4 18.2s) to make it work, but should make for some very smooth room response.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sbdman
              Kinda off topic, but interesting, the Onkyo 5010 will be a 11.4 receiver. Still only 9 internal amps, but 4 sub outs! You'd have to get something like 2 sub2 amps when available and 4 18.1s (or if you're over the top like MKtheater/Diamonddelts, 4 18.2s) to make it work, but should make for some very smooth room response.
              Unfortunately, I think my money tree died from lack of of rain. Would love to have that kind of setup though.

              Comment


              • #8
                Looked at a pre-review of the 5010, the .4 is just 2 splitters for the 2 channel sub out. I assume each pair is treated as one sub - fail.

                PIP for all hdmi sources sounds cool, and 4K upconversion, but I think we can wait 'till there's some devices that will play 4K for not too much money to think about that one.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by boober
                  I don't think the 818 can let you grab EQ images, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure it doesn't though but don't just take my word for it.

                  As far as all the dynamic volume settings, I've never ever used those and I hate them as well. :D

                  I'm a single guy who doesn't have to worry about complaints from neighbors or anything like that, so I just crank my setup when ever I watch or listen to stuff. When I have guests over I just run all that stuff off as well.

                  I do know that I have read from other people that they were happy with those settings on their 818's in the AVS 818 thread. I don't remember ever reading any complaints on it and I do know that some people had liked how it handled the variances in volume that they were hearing.

                  I think you're right on the Dayton, just zeroing it out and then running Audeyssey, maybe that's what I should have done. I'll have to try that here sometime soon.
                  About how long did it take you to setup Audyssey? Did you have to do 8 mic locations?

                  Also, what did you end up paying for it and where did you get it?

                  Thanks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sbdman
                    Looked at a pre-review of the 5010, the .4 is just 2 splitters for the 2 channel sub out. I assume each pair is treated as one sub - fail.

                    PIP for all hdmi sources sounds cool, and 4K upconversion, but I think we can wait 'till there's some devices that will play 4K for not too much money to think about that one.
                    I really hate it when they do something with a product and market it as something it is really not. I know technically it does have 4 outputs, but I think they know good and well what an "average" customer will assume by looking at the spec. Its purposely misleading IMO.:mad:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BobDolez
                      About how long did it take you to setup Audyssey? Did you have to do 8 mic locations?

                      Also, what did you end up paying for it and where did you get it?

                      Thanks
                      I did all 8 and it took about a half hour or so. I think the minimum it would let me do was 3 maybe 4 mic spots. I got mine for $870 shipped on sale from electronics expo about 6 weeks ago or so.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by boober
                        I did all 8 and it took about a half hour or so. I think the minimum it would let me do was 3 maybe 4 mic spots. I got mine for $870 shipped on sale from electronics expo about 6 weeks ago or so.
                        Vanns has it for 899 right now.....free shipping hmmm. It sounds like it still has a bit of room to go even lower. I haven't heard anything about the Denon side of the world. I would hate to rush into a receiver too quickly.

                        It would seem that amazon is even cheaper now:
                        http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR818...ords=onkyo+818

                        $882.68

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Who knows, maybe eventually it'll go under 800 shipped here over time. For even what I paid for it it's a damn good receiver for the money. :D

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BobDolez
                            Vanns has it for 899 right now.....free shipping hmmm. It sounds like it still has a bit of room to go even lower. I haven't heard anything about the Denon side of the world. I would hate to rush into a receiver too quickly.

                            It would seem that amazon is even cheaper now:
                            http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR818...ords=onkyo+818

                            $882.68
                            It's funny how the prices at amazon and EE (through amazon) have been changing nearly daily! I agree this has to be the best bang for the buck out there.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Gorilla83
                              It's funny how the prices at amazon and EE (through amazon) have been changing nearly daily! I agree this has to be the best bang for the buck out there.
                              I haven't followed the pricing online the last month or so, since I have no reason to, :D but the pricing fluctuated alot even after it first came out on a daily basis as well. Kind of weird.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X