PS3 as streamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 as streamer

If I have my music in FLAC format on my main computer, can I use the playstation 3 as sort of a poor man's squeezebox for streaming music?

If I purchase a squeezebox touch will it play FLAC files?
    Time waits for no man.

I use a program called PS3 Media server. It plays the FLAC files, I dont believe the PS3 can decode FLAC. Heres the download link

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/...hp?f=8&t=14669

Comment

Thank you, I'll give this one a try.
      Time waits for no man.

Comment

Yes, SB Touch will play FLAC files.

Comment

Originally posted by phipp01
          I use a program called PS3 Media server. It plays the FLAC files, I dont believe the PS3 can decode FLAC. Heres the download link
          http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/...hp?f=8&t=14669
          I used ps3 mediaserver for a while, but it just never got stable enough for me. Constant pluggin crashes and errors, I had to find something else. Heard good things about Serviio, installed it and gave it a go; BIG difference! It runs the way it should, no issues. I would suggest anyone still running mediaserver at least give Serviio a try, awesome program!

Comment

I found the PMS to be barely adequate at streaming music. When playing through the PS3 it would have occasional pauses when playing .FLAC files (which incidently I have been unable to play FLAC after upgrading to the latest version 1.60.0). My Pioneer's Home Media Gallery is also able to pick up the PMS and access the files, and seems to be able to play the same files without the same pauses.

BUT for a free media server, it works pretty well to stream 720p movies (wireless G to the laptop and gigabit everywhere else) and music.

Looking forward to trying Serviio! Thanks Bribowsky.

Comment

Working...
            X