HTPC build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTPC build

I'm thinking of re-purposing an older core 2 duo machine as a light duty HTPC. I really want this for DVD playback more than anything, and perhaps some light gaming of older games, Pod Racer for example.

My display is a Hitachi 57S500, and I am currently watching in 720P vs. 1080i, if that information is worth anything.

Anyway
    C2D at 2.66 (E6700)
    2 GIG PC2 1066
    ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP
    IDE DVD drive
    ASUS 1950Pro 256MB PCIe

Will this upscale on the PC or will it make the set itself do all the work? Also, I was thinking about just using media center, or Power DVD that came with one of my X-Fi cards, which is a few releases old now.

I've got options on the OS, XP or Windows 7, but with 2 GB of memory, I'm a bit concerned it isn't enough.
    Coach Pat Summitt - Folding at Home

The MS-1 Music Server I build uses Windows 7 x64 with 2GB of memory and works well. I have used it for Blu-Ray playback with Cyberlink PowerDVD11 Ultra with fine results.

For audio quality, Windows 7 sounds better than Windows XP. The WASAPI interface for audio is better from my trials.

You should do pretty well with that setup.
    Better living through Audio Nirvana!

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Comment

What are you using for sound, a dedicated card? I put in a X-Fi Titanium HD, which should be fine for DVD, but once I finally step up to Blu-Ray this is going to be a problem.

I suppose I could upgrade to a more recent Radeon card, and output it over that.

Comment

Mine has an HDMI output for the HT application for video and audio. The ION graphics processor handles the Blu-Ray playback well with Cyberlink PowerDVD11 Ultra software. Using a USB DAC for the HiRez music playback.

Comment

Gotcha, I suppose I'll just cross that bridge when I get there. I'm not ready to replace my display, AVR etc., and will likely deal with a more lossy format for awhile longer.

Thanks!

Comment

Yes, the MS-1 power requirement is a max of 24 watts. If you use sleep mode playback with some players it goes down to 16 watts. This does add up over time to savings in energy.

Comment

Working...
              X