Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for help on possible Pro speaker purchase

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for help on possible Pro speaker purchase

    I am looking for a 3 way pro speaker with great sound quality, 40hz-60hz extension, and the capability of playing up to 120+db.

    I love this design(Mackie 3 way HD 1531) but I do not want the problems associated with a powered speaker.

    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ed-loudspeaker

    Does anyone know of any other pro speakers that offer a passive version similar to the Mackie HD 1531. 3 way design with a high compression driver, dedicated midrange, and one large 12" or 15" driver. Seems like this type of speaker will be the sweet spot for efficiency, sound quality, and good midbass.

    I also like the JTR triple 12 but I was looking for a quality pro style speaker under $1,000 per speaker if I can.
    I came, I saw, I purchased.

  • #2
    Have you looked at something like these.
    http://shopcerwinvega.com/detail/CER+XLS-15/XLS-15

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Top Cat
      Have you looked at something like these.
      http://shopcerwinvega.com/detail/CER+XLS-15/XLS-15
      I currently own six Cerwin Vega CLS 215 speakers and a Cerwin Vega 1153 pro monitor. They are very good speakers but I am looking for something similar but with a high compression driver for higher spl potential with HT.

      Thank you for the post.
      I came, I saw, I purchased.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd also be willing to go with a high quality 2 way pro speaker if anyone has first hand experience with the sound quality of a particular model. I've heard QSC's powered pro speakers and they have very good sound quality. But I want to stay with a passive design. Seems like most of the better pro speakers are all going towards powered designs. :(
        I came, I saw, I purchased.

        Comment


        • #5
          I've also heard alot of good things about the ED 12's.
          I came, I saw, I purchased.

          Comment


          • #6
            Well back in the day my lead guitar player loved his Peavey stacks so maybe that could be another option....
            http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PEV-SP4-LIST

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Top Cat
              Well back in the day my lead guitar player loved his Peavey stacks so maybe that could be another option....
              http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PEV-SP4-LIST
              Thanks again for the info. I will read the reviews on these Peavies. I try to make all of my purchases at americanmusical.com since they allow me to pay for everything with a 3 month or 5 month payment plan. Good stuff.
              I came, I saw, I purchased.

              Comment


              • #8
                http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-CWV-CVP2153-LIST

                I've also been tempted to purchase a pair of these Cerwin Vega pro speakers. I have the single version of this speaker and it sounds great. Loud, clear, and great dynamics at all volume levels with no muddiness.
                I came, I saw, I purchased.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm guessing by what you're looking at you aren't size limited and this is for HT usage? To throw out a bit of a curve ball bc you can't buy them at American Musical but have you looked at the Klipsch La Scalas? I recently heard a set and was absolutely blown away by them. They can produce massive SPL's and are incredibly efficient and are fully horn loaded. They go down to about 50hz and the dynamics they produced were stunning. They are large and funny looking but can be picked up for 800-1000 a pair on the used market. Most of the used ones will need the crossovers rebuilt as the caps are old but that is pretty cheap and there's even kits from people like Bob Crites. These are what I'm on my hint for now.

                  Scott

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You may be interested, depending on your time frame, of either the flat packs getting put together by Erich, or Mark Seaton was rumored to be putting together some pretty awesome looking enclosures with a 15" driver (AE drivers/others rumored) and I'm not sure on the CD size...they are large though, mainly meant for behind an AT screen--On his forum.

                    My interest order for my next HT and larger L/C/Rs (most for AT screen use):

                    Seaton Catalyst

                    Seaton DIY Kit

                    JBL PRO Cinema 3k Series

                    JBL PRO Cinema 4k Series

                    ED Cinema 12s

                    SHO 10 Towers

                    JTR Triple12s

                    Of course, some of these are above your price points.

                    The JBL stuff looks great and has a good past, especially certain 15" woofers of theirs. The eD stuff is getting decent reviews, and the Seaton DIY kits could really be something if Mark ever gets that stuff done.

                    The stuff by Erich I haven't totally researched it, but seems he has a ton of interest on the DIY flat packs..thread.

                    My 2 cents.

                    Edit: I'll have to admit, I haven't heard enough tweeter speakers to see if I definitely do not like them...I just haven't heard anything I like AT ALL. I also need to hear the Klipsch ones Skeeter referenced, and someone has Salk Songtowers across my neighborhood I need to go visit with Michael sometime soon to demo.
                    -Greg

                    Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

                    HO's Basement Take 2

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here's the La Scalas: http://www.klipsch.com/lascala-floorstanding-speaker

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Greg who's Erich? Do you have a linky?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sorry, threw a bunch of links in after with an edit. Up now.

                          Also, skeeter is on to something. If you could buy three of those, which I haven't ever seen more than just one for sale at a time, I would jump all over it. People rave about those.

                          YamahaSho here in Omaha has one his dad gave him he wants to refinish or something along those lines. I've heard amazing things as well...really want to hear those sometime.
                          -Greg

                          Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

                          HO's Basement Take 2

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by HuskerOmaha
                            You may be interested, depending on your time frame, of either the flat packs getting put together by Erich, or Mark Seaton was rumored to be putting together some pretty awesome looking enclosures with a 15" driver (AE drivers/others rumored) and I'm not sure on the CD size...they are large though, mainly meant for behind an AT screen--On his forum.

                            My interest order for my next HT and larger L/C/Rs (most for AT screen use):

                            Seaton Catalyst

                            Seaton DIY Kit

                            JBL PRO Cinema 3k Series

                            JBL PRO Cinema 4k Series

                            ED Cinema 12s

                            SHO 10 Towers

                            JTR Triple12s

                            Of course, some of these are above your price points.

                            The JBL stuff looks great and has a good past, especially certain 15" woofers of theirs. The eD stuff is getting decent reviews, and the Seaton DIY kits could really be something if Mark ever gets that stuff done.

                            The stuff by Erich I haven't totally researched it, but seems he has a ton of interest on the DIY flat packs..thread.

                            My 2 cents.

                            Edit: I'll have to admit, I haven't heard enough tweeter speakers to see if I definitely do not like them...I just haven't heard anything I like AT ALL. I also need to hear the Klipsch ones Skeeter referenced, and someone has Salk Songtowers across my neighborhood I need to go visit with Michael sometime soon to demo.
                            Thanks for the links Husker, I appreciate it.
                            I came, I saw, I purchased.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by skeeter99
                              I've been interested in the Lascalas for quite some time. But Klipsch stuff rarely comes up on Craigslist here in Austin. And when it does, they sell within 48 hours. Some people love their Klipsch. And they will pay top resale dollar for them. I will definitely keep an eye out for these bad boys during my weekly Craigslist scavenging.

                              Thanks for the post.
                              I came, I saw, I purchased.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X