Blu-ray player - looking for slim design + netflix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blu-ray player - looking for slim design + netflix

I may be changing out some of my gear and I may have to look at a slimmer Bluray player than my current Oppo.

Any suggestions - Netflix would be a plus as well as pandora as I am pulling the Tivo out so there goes my netflix.

Looking for a thin/reliable player $200 or less.

Looking quickly -
    < $100
    Panasonic DMP-BD75 Blu-ray Disc Player
    Sony BDP-S480 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player

< $200
    Panasonic DMP-BDT210
    Sony BDP-S580 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi

Does netflix and Pandora -
    Sony BDP-S580 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi

I bought the Sony S580 around Black Friday for $100 delivered as a Christmas gift to my Daughter and Son-in-Law and they love it...also, I have had great luck with a couple of Panny BR players as well.:)

Comment

I just ordered a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 off Amazon for $126.00. It got a good review from Kris Deering in Home Theater magazine. Plus I have an older Panasonic player that hasn't given me any problems so that's earned them some points with me.

Best.....Carlo.

Comment

Will check both out. thanks

Comment

I have the Sony S380 (got a refurb for $68). Works like a champ. I've used Pandora on it, but not Netflix (it has Netflix, but I haven't subscribed).

My only complaint would be tha tyou can watch Youtube on it, bu searches are limited to too few characters (10? 15?), making it hard to find what you are looking for.

Comment

I've got a Panny Blu ray player and have an older Panny DVD player. Both are rock solid for reliability and PQ. As an added bonus, sound quality thru analog outs was better on both than might be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatcat
              I just ordered a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 off Amazon for $126.00. It got a good review from Kris Deering in Home Theater magazine. Plus I have an older Panasonic player that hasn't given me any problems so that's earned them some points with me.

Best.....Carlo.

Yes good review on this one ...will have to add it to the list.

Comment

Go with a PS3 for an all in one game/Blu Ray/streaming solution, or go with Panasonic BDP for quality and longevity.

PS3 has the quality, longevity is dependent on whether it was built on Monday or Friday. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Fatcat

Best.....Carlo.
                  Any update on this since you got it?

Comment

My panny bdt-210 w/e the model is called same one your talking about is a champ. Honestly, I think it is very similar in performance to my oppo bdp-80 but with more features.

Go with the panny at that price and don't look back.
                    Time waits for no man.

Comment

Another vote for the Panasonic DMP-BDT210. Got mine a few days ago to replace my trusty old Panasonic BD30. The difference in load times and better upscaling for standard def DVDs alone was worth the purchase for me. Watching Netflix through it is also another bonus.

Comment

I bought a Sony S580 from Best Buy for $119 a couple days ago. This was a secondary player for a bedroom. So far I can comment that the setup was fairly simple and the user interface is good as well. You can download an app and use your phone as a keyboard which is nice if you use some of the WiFi features.

Comment

Originally posted by cburbs
                          Any update on this since you got it?
                          Yup, finally got a chance to hook it up and spend some time with it. The setup was easy and straight forward and the GUI is clean and easy to understand. The picture quality and color look excellent. We watched Green Lantern and Prince Caspian and there was no banding or artifacts. Sound is great through HDMI. Built in wireless is a nice feature. It's supposed to be compatible with wireless G and N and it hooked up to my G network easy. While it found my N network it couldn't seem to latch on to it though. Wireless firmware update was a breeze. I haven't had a chance to play with any of the online services yet so I can't comment on those. The player is supposed to be able to stream video files off a computer or home server, specifically .divx and .mkv files. I tried doing this and while the player found the server it was extremely picky about what files it would play. It only played nice with a handful of .divx videos and none of the .mkv. I was also pleasantly surprised at how much smaller this player is compared to my older Panny. Overall I'm really pleased with the BDT210 as a blu-ray player and unless you're looking for something that is adept at file streaming I say you can't go wrong with this unit.

Best.....Carlo.

Comment

I know it says it is 1.4 inches high but if one of you have a moment can you measure it and let me know a better realistic measurement. I need a slim player so need to know for sure.

Looks like my local frys carries it for $129.

Comment

remember that frys will price match amazon, so check their price as well. I bought my samsung 3d player there and got it for 129, and save 40 bucks because of amazon.
                              LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
                              Subs: 4 x 18.2
                              Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

Comment

Working...
                              X