Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JTR Captivator S2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • JTR Captivator S2

    So looks like JTR will be making their version of an 18.2. :D Should be pretty killer and I'd take this all day over the powered ported Cap @ 2500.

    Details from JTR's site:

    http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...tor-S2-5688940

    Its the same as the Captivator S but with a second 18" driver, twice as wide (or tall) and has our 4000 watt, DSP, class D amplifier.
    MSRP $3999
    Internet Direct $2999

    Pictures coming soon.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Gorilla83
    So looks like JTR will be making their version of an 18.2. :D Should be pretty killer and I'd take this all day over the powered ported Cap @ 2500.

    Details from JTR's site:

    http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...tor-S2-5688940

    Its the same as the Captivator S but with a second 18" driver, twice as wide (or tall) and has our 4000 watt, DSP, class D amplifier.
    MSRP $3999
    Internet Direct $2999

    Pictures coming soon.
    In this price range, I would rather have dual LMS 5400s. Though in the end what I really wanted is two dual LMS 5400 units placed on the front baffle like Lukeamdman's build. That would be the ultimate for sq and spl.

    I just don't see the point in going with a lesser driver and paying $3,000 plus when you can get multiples of the top dog for near that price range. Also, in my opinion the best bang for buck setup is still a quad 18.2 setup. I just astounds me that more people are not clamoring for 18.2's instead of the more popular 18.1. But oh well some people let the size of the 18.2 scare them. And they are missing out on it's great performance for the money.
    I came, I saw, I purchased.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by diamonddelts
      In this price range, I would rather have dual LMS 5400s. Though in the end what I really wanted is two dual LMS 5400 units placed on the front baffle like Lukeamdman's build. That would be the ultimate for sq and spl.

      I just don't see the point in going with a lesser driver and paying $3,000 plus when you can get multiples of the top dog for near that price range. Also, in my opinion the best bang for buck setup is still a quad 18.2 setup. I just astounds me that more people are not clamoring for 18.2's instead of the more popular 18.1. But oh well some people let the size of the 18.2 scare them. And they are missing out on it's great performance for the money.
      Yeah, but aren't LMS drivers close to a grand each? I bet the Cap drivers aren't too far behind as far as output and you are getting 2 of them and a 4000 watt plate amp/enclosure/dsp etc. for roughly a thousand more than 2 LMS drivers would cost, right? If you don't want to mess with DIY that seems pretty good to me.

      I think we might finally have a sealed ID sub that can top the Submersive. Some at the GTG thought the Cap sealed with one driver already beat the Sumbersive (Cap sealed won for movies) but I thought it came up just short.

      Comment


      • #4
        Looks like a killer sub thats for sure. That being said I dont regret going the LMS route. I should be up and running in less than 2 weeks. :woo:
        Denon 4311ci; MINIdsp; XPR-5; LS6 Line Arrays; LS-C Center Channel; A/V-1RS Surounds; Quad DIY LMS-Ultras Powered By LG Clones; Panny AE-8000u; 110" 2:35 Screen; Oppo BDP-103; Belkin PF60; Harmony ONE

        2ch: Airmotiv 6's, Airport Express

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by edoggrc51
          Looks like a killer sub thats for sure. That being said I dont regret going the LMS route. I should be up and running in less than 2 weeks. :woo:
          Hopefully your bolts line up when you assemble the driver. Mine didn't and I cross-threaded the last bolt out of frustration. Not very happy with mine at the moment.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Matt34
            Hopefully your bolts line up when you assemble the driver. Mine didn't and I cross-threaded the last bolt out of frustration. Not very happy with mine at the moment.
            Now information like this has me worried. For what they are charging there should be ZERO issues with their drivers. A part of me still thinks I should have went with six emminence drivers each in two sealed boxes.

            At least I know I would have gotten good value for my buck. Not so sure with these LMS drivers coming in with bad workmanship yet they are wanting a premium price for their products.
            I came, I saw, I purchased.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Matt34
              Hopefully your bolts line up when you assemble the driver. Mine didn't and I cross-threaded the last bolt out of frustration. Not very happy with mine at the moment.
              Did you try indexing the assembly? Ive read that if the bolt holes dont line up you could try rotating the basket. Agreed though, at almost 1k we shouldnt have to deal with that crap.
              Denon 4311ci; MINIdsp; XPR-5; LS6 Line Arrays; LS-C Center Channel; A/V-1RS Surounds; Quad DIY LMS-Ultras Powered By LG Clones; Panny AE-8000u; 110" 2:35 Screen; Oppo BDP-103; Belkin PF60; Harmony ONE

              2ch: Airmotiv 6's, Airport Express

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by diamonddelts
                Now information like this has me worried. For what they are charging there should be ZERO issues with their drivers. A part of me still thinks I should have went with six emminence drivers each in two sealed boxes.

                At least I know I would have gotten good value for my buck. Not so sure with these LMS drivers coming in with bad workmanship yet they are wanting a premium price for their products.
                Originally posted by edoggrc51
                Did you try indexing the assembly? Ive read that if the bolt holes dont line up you could try rotating the basket. Agreed though, at almost 1k we shouldnt have to deal with that crap.
                You guys will probably end up fine. At least they ship the drivers in 2 pieces, that seems to be smart with how heavy this stuff is. Carrying those UXL-18s back to FedEx was a pain in the ass. Huge boxes, 70 lbs each, going through doors.....:doh! 1: So I started swimming again today. Freestyle is harder than I remember it....(finger drag, elbows high, like I'm back on swim team)
                -Greg

                Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

                HO's Basement Take 2

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by HuskerOmaha
                  You guys will probably end up fine. At least they ship the drivers in 2 pieces, that seems to be smart with how heavy this stuff is. Carrying those UXL-18s back to FedEx was a pain in the ass. Huge boxes, 70 lbs each, going through doors.....:doh! 1: So I started swimming again today. Freestyle is harder than I remember it....(finger drag, elbows high, like I'm back on swim team)
                  You think dragging around a pair of drivers is a pain? Try lifting two 200+ pound Conquests into the back of a not-so-low Dodge Truck. :doh! 1:

                  Ah, the things we do for sum LFE! :D
                  Denon 4311ci; MINIdsp; XPR-5; LS6 Line Arrays; LS-C Center Channel; A/V-1RS Surounds; Quad DIY LMS-Ultras Powered By LG Clones; Panny AE-8000u; 110" 2:35 Screen; Oppo BDP-103; Belkin PF60; Harmony ONE

                  2ch: Airmotiv 6's, Airport Express

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It's really tough to compare anything in the DIY world to a ID or retail offering. The amp alone in the S2 sells for 1200ish so from that perspective 2 of these massive 18's in a custom box with amp for 3k isn't too terrible. I'd imagine a pair of these would sound pretty spectacular but not everyone could play at 6k plus shipping. :(

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hell, I pushed a DTS-10 upstairs all by myself and then did it again for the second one!

                      It is very hard to compare ID vs DIY. The new cap looks cool but for 3 grand is lots of money. My system cost $3500 which has 152mm of x-max and 8400 watts. My sound quality might be a little less than the sealed Cap(no dsp) but during movies the massive displacement will make up for it! The difference is space! Bigger is always cheaper and you have to pay to get performance in a smaller package.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X