Crown XLS 5000 534 shipped!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown XLS 5000 534 shipped!

For those of you looking for an amp to drive several subs, unique squared has the crown xls 5000 for 599 with free shipping minus 10% off coupon minus 600 points you get for signing up / registering. Lots of watts for the buck. Imagine the fan will need replacing like any other pro amp, but still a hell of a deal considering its near 1000 elsewhere.

http://www.uniquesquared.com/crown-x...at-8-ohms.html

Notes: Sign up for an account (free 600 points towards purchase) plus coupon for 10% off (sxsw2011ms) = 533.99

Edit- coupon has now expired. **

I was talking to Greg tonight and he says he's heard some info second hand that the Crown XLS amp doesn't produce much power in subwoofer territory.

I have no idea if that's true or not. Can anyone confirm?

I didn't see any testing links myself -- I'm curious where this source was?

HuskerOmaha -- Produce the goods! Can you provide the test url?

Comment

Well, I'm going to find out first hand in a little bit. :) talked to Jeff re: this amp and he agreed it should be a beast. At this price definitely worth trying at least vs. my ep4000. :applause:

As for the comment around the xls - was that referring to the original xls or the new xls drive core series?

Comment

Originally posted by Archaea
        I was talking to Greg tonight and he says he's heard some info second hand that the Crown XLS amp doesn't produce much power in subwoofer territory.

I have no idea if that's true or not. Can anyone confirm?

I didn't see any testing links myself -- I'm curious where this source was?

HuskerOmaha -- Produce the goods! Can you provide the test url?
        Not my information, I was just given it when inquiring about different Amp options on avsforum.

Make of this what you will....

A few guys that have built many subs (LMS builds, etc) told me Crown was not their preferred amps. The new clone amps, the EP4000, etc were better options for ensuring low end performance. I'm taking them at their word since I have no idea and can't find information elsewhere. Other than the amp thread Craig linked in the other thread...
        Attached Files
        -Greg

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

HO's Basement Take 2

Comment

Here are my thoughts:

Unfortunately, like you said, there isn't a TON of feedback on the crown amps in general being used in a HT environment for sub duty. I think largely this is due to the lower value/$$ ratio that they provide - given options like the clones, behringers, Marathon, etc.

This amp seems to be a mirror image of the MA5050 which seems to be highly regarded by the DIY community. It's also strikingly similar to the QSC RMX5050 in terms of power and design - which sells for 1200-1500 new. In this case, the XLS5000 typically sells for ~1000. Obviously better values can be had when looking at it at that pricepoint. I understand many of the Crown amps rolloff around 10 hz. Frankly, I couldn't care less about response below that since my Caps will be about 0 output at that point anyway.

In addition, Many of the pro audio guys are using this amp to drive 4 18" subs / side - which shows it should have some balls.

I know Craig here has mentioned he's had good luck with some of the smaller crown amps - namely the XLS 2500. I do know that a few others that run the XS series amps for sub duty over at AVS and they seem to love them as well.

As for the clone amps - I don't think they would work very well in my case as they don't appear to be 2 ohm stereo / 4 ohm bridged stable.

Looks like someone over at HTS found this as well - http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...000-599-a.html

Like I said, for this price I'm going to give it a whirl. :applause: This is going to be a birthday present from my wife to me - January 19th which is coming up in about a month. In the meantime, I'll be abusing my EP4000 into clipping @ 2 ohm stereo, LOL! :angel:

Comment

The Crown XLS 5000 spec is -1 db at 22hz.

Under 22hz we can't be sure what the rolloff is, though Josh Ricci posted this in my DIY thread...

I would suspect that it is -3db at 8Hz. Crown seems to favor a 18db/oct 8Hz high pass filter on most of their pro amps. They should be about 1dB down at 10Hz and dropping very rapidly after that if that is the case.

However that is only my guess from other Crowns I've had and I do not know this for sure. It could be either higher or lower. FWIW
            -Greg

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

HO's Basement Take 2

Comment

Originally posted by HuskerOmaha
              The Crown XLS 5000 spec is -1 db at 22hz.

Under 22hz we can't be sure what the rolloff is, though Josh Ricci posted this in my DIY thread...
              I will call Crown Tech service to see if they can be of any help. Would be interesting to know for other folks, but probably not as relevant in my case.

And, from the Crown spec site it quotes +0db at 22hz and -1DB at 20K hertz:

"Frequency Response (at 1 watt, 22 Hz - 20 kHz)
              +0 dB, –1 dB"

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xls.htm#specs

Comment

Originally posted by Gorilla83
                In the meantime, I'll be abusing my EP4000 into clipping @ 2 ohm stereo, LOL! :angel:
                With the cap pair setup you'll likely only do that once (and for a very short time period) before your ears hurt for a month. Ask me how I know.

:biglaugh::eek:;):doh! 1::salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Archaea
                  With the cap pair setup you'll likely only do that once (and for a very short time period) before your ears hurt for a month. Ask me how I know.

:biglaugh::eek:;):doh! 1::salute:
                  You're probably right. Hopefully my full tilt sessions are limited to a few 'tests' as well as some demos for local friends and our upcoming GTG in February. :D

I'm hoping that the Caps sound great at low-mid volumes too!

Comment

I haven't read through your AVS thread, but you have two Caps, correct?