Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Integrate "other" floorstanders w/ CHT setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrate "other" floorstanders w/ CHT setup?

I purchased some Infinity Kappa 8.1's (plus a Kappa center) from someone at work. These things are beautiful and sound unbelievable. I originally was going to resell, but now am wondering if there is anyway to integrate them into my CHT setup (3 SHOs up front, pair of ERD-1s for surround and CS18.1 sub).

Is there a way to use both the Kappas and the SHOs for front channels? Or, what about using the Kappas as additional subwoofers-is that even possible?

Another option is to use them in my 2nd theater, but my wife is mad about their oak color (grrrr) and I'm a little afraid one of my little ones is going to be running around the basement and damage the speaker.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by jholzbauer
    I purchased some Infinity Kappa 8.1's (plus a Kappa center) from someone at work. These things are beautiful and sound unbelievable. I originally was going to resell, but now am wondering if there is anyway to integrate them into my CHT setup (3 SHOs up front, pair of ERD-1s for surround and CS18.1 sub).

Is there a way to use both the Kappas and the SHOs for front channels? Or, what about using the Kappas as additional subwoofers-is that even possible?

Another option is to use them in my 2nd theater, but my wife is mad about their oak color (grrrr) and I'm a little afraid one of my little ones is going to be running around the basement and damage the speaker.

Thoughts?
    What sounds better to you? The CHT's or the Infinity Kappa's? I wouldn't try to use them all at the same time.
    Time waits for no man.

Comment

Those Kappa's are going to need a LOT of power. Very nice speaker if you can feed them right.

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract
        Those Kappa's are going to need a LOT of power. Very nice speaker if you can feed them right.
        Right now everything is just hooked up to an Onkyo 705 and from what I've read, that's not enough to get the best sound out of the Infinitys. I know almost nothing about amps. I'm not sure if I want to sink any more money into my system right now (just finished our basement, and budget is low), but if I wanted something low cost, what could I look at?

I don't have any problems buying used. Would a used Crown amp be a possibility? Thanks!

The other thing is these will primarily be used for home theater and some gaming. I wonder if the Infinitys are more suited towards music.

Comment

Crown, Hafler, Parasound, Adcom are a few good names to look for, and are easy to find used.

I wouldn't settle for an amp under 200 wpc @ 8 ohms, make sure the amp is 2 ohm stable. Those EMITs like current.

This is my brother's amp, I used to have one myself. http://www.chasehometheater.com/foru...ead.php?t=2845

Comment

Did a little poking around last night, what about the Crown XLS402? Sounds like it had a good following for being a bang for the buck contender. If I decided to sell the Infinitys, would that amp be useful for the SHOs? With their level of sensitivity, I'm not sure if an amp would even help much.

Comment

The Crown would do a fine job driving the Infinitys. The SHO-10s can take 300 watts as well, I dunno if YOU can take it. :D

Comment

I just bought a Crown XLS402 off someone on AVS. Looking forward to trying out the Kappas with it.

Here's a crazy thought. My Onkyo 705 allows for bi-amping speakers. What if I ran the highs to the SHOs and then used the Crown to power the lows on the Kappas? The way I understand it, when you bi-amp it takes the crossover out of the equation. Any idea on what frequency it would send as highs and which as lows?

Comment

Originally posted by jholzbauer
                  I just bought a Crown XLS402 off someone on AVS. Looking forward to trying out the Kappas with it.

Here's a crazy thought. My Onkyo 705 allows for bi-amping speakers. What if I ran the highs to the SHOs and then used the Crown to power the lows on the Kappas? The way I understand it, when you bi-amp it takes the crossover out of the equation. Any idea on what frequency it would send as highs and which as lows?
                  You would have to have an external XO for the Crown, then get in and bypass the Infinity's internal crossover for that to work. Besides, the SHO-10 and the Infinity have their own design goals, they are not meant to work together in a Frankenspeaker style.

The SHO-10 is meant to have subwoofer augmentation, but I wouldn't hack into a beautiful speaker like the 8.1 to do it!

Here are the specs for the Infinity. http://www.infinity-forum.de/downloa...ical_sheet.pdf

Comment

Thanks, tesseract! That looks much too complicated for what I'm trying to do. I'll give the Infinitys a shot once the amp comes in then I'll decide whether to sell them or keep them in storage for a couple years until I'm not worried to have them out around my kids in the basement (currently 2, 5, and 7). The cabinets are beautiful and I'd hate for them to get marked up or even worse, have them puncture a woofer with a toy.

My SHOs are currently in a man cave and are pretty isolated from the kids. :applause:

Comment

Working...
                    X