Sub shootout over at avs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub shootout over at avs.

Hey guys, I assume it's cool to post this here. I got a chance to be a part of a sub shootout on Saturday, check out our impressions. I wish there had been a CHT 18.2 there, but other than that there were a lot of nice subs. I don't know how my Captivator is going to do in my room yet since I don't have it all set up. I may end up eventually going with some 18.2's if it doesn't work out. I'm hoping to get to hear Tesseract's subs later this summer so that will give me a better idea if that works out (thanks for the offer btw).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335139

I read through the thread this morning. You guys had a lot of fun and did a good job with the write ups!

Comment

Very ambitious shootout, you guys must have had a ball. I loved the video of the cap blowing the cap - just hilarious!

By the way, did Jeff have a plate to place over the amp he removed from your new JTR? I know you've been waiting a long time for this, hope you enjoy!

I too, would love to hear a shootout between an SS-18.2 and the Captivator. Probably not in Archaea's room, though!

Comment

Originally posted by carp
        I'm hoping to get to hear Tesseract's subs later this summer so that will give me a better idea if that works out (thanks for the offer btw).
        Carp - Looking forward to it. Bring some music you like.

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract
          Carp - Looking forward to it. Bring some music you like.
          Cool, I hope you don't mind some metal!

Comment

Originally posted by sbdman
            Very ambitious shootout, you guys must have had a ball. I loved the video of the cap blowing the cap - just hilarious!

By the way, did Jeff have a plate to place over the amp he removed from your new JTR? I know you've been waiting a long time for this, hope you enjoy!

I too, would love to hear a shootout between an SS-18.2 and the Captivator. Probably not in Archaea's room, though!
            Yes, he had the plate with the speaker binding posts on them and they are the biggest friggin things I've ever seen. They look like you could stick your finger in them!

Comment

Cool, I hope you don't mind some metal!
              Not at all, I have plenty myself. "thumbsup: (you're not talking hair bands, are you?) :peeping: :D

Comment

Yes, he had the plate with the speaker binding posts on them and they are the biggest friggin things I've ever seen. They look like you could stick your finger in them!
                ... that sounds dirty....:biglaugh:

Comment

Carp, this thread is completely welcome here at CHT, but the subwoofer forum is for discussion of CHT subwoofers. This is the more appropriate place for discussion of subs from other companies. Hope you don't mind. :)

Loved both threads over at AVS and it seems like you guys had a great time. :applause:
                  Jack

Comment

Wow! That looked like so much fun!

Great thread!

Comment

Just read through the thread. Good job.

The use of a speclab measurement was an interesting comment by bb--I thought your graphs and charts were pretty solid.

Gives ideas as to what we may do if we can get ours organized here in Omaha.

We would have a Cap(s), CS-18s, and hopefully HSU/eD/SVS. All the heavy hitters....

I'm hoping we can still make this happen this summer.
                      -Greg

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

HO's Basement Take 2

Comment

Originally posted by HuskerOmaha
                        Just read through the thread. Good job.

The use of a speclab measurement was an interesting comment by bb--I thought your graphs and charts were pretty solid.

Gives ideas as to what we may do if we can get ours organized here in Omaha.

We would have a Cap(s), CS-18s, and hopefully HSU/eD/SVS. All the heavy hitters....

I'm hoping we can still make this happen this summer.
                        I hope so too, I would love to see how a cap and 18.2 compare.

BTW, you won't be able to do it blind with the Captivator. You will know it's the Cap because it will feel like a fan was turned on on the bass heavy scenes.

Comment

BTW, you won't be able to do it blind with the Captivator. You will know it's the Cap because it will feel like a fan was turned on on the bass heavy scenes.
                          A port should only pressurize the air. When the capacity of the port is exceeded it becomes turbulent. Any output/wind coming from the port is just distortion at this point.

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/flare-testing.htm

I hope so too, I would love to see how a cap and 18.2 compare
                          I would have LOVED to brought my CS-18.T Duo to the show. :D

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract
                            A port should only pressurize the air. When the capacity of the port is exceeded it becomes turbulent. Any output/wind coming from the port is just distortion at this point.

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/flare-testing.htm

I would have LOVED to brought my CS-18.T Duo to the show. :D
                            What happens when you feel a wind or air movement when you have sealed subs? I always got that feeling but only when the bass was over 120 db's. I also used at least 2 subs(dts-10's, not sealed), 4 subs(CS 18.2's) to 8 subs(eD 190v.2's sealed).

Comment

My comment above, in it's brevity, might be taken as a slam against ported enclosures. It is not. I can over drive the ports on my B&W's or almost any other ported box, it's just a matter of pushing too hard.

The fact that the Captivator can blow a hat across the room is testament to the excursion and sheer force it's woofer can produce! I look forward to being able to actually hear one (or two) someday.

Originally posted by Mktheater
                              What happens when you feel a wind or air movement when you have sealed subs? I always got that feeling but only when the bass was over 120 db's. I also used at least 2 subs(dts-10's, not sealed), 4 subs(CS 18.2's) to 8 subs(eD 190v.2's sealed).
                              I dunno, I haven't experienced that. What do the textbooks say? :scratchchin:

Comment

Working...
                              X