guess what I got cooking in the DIY oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guess what I got cooking in the DIY oven

I have needed more bass for a while and I have wanted to DIY something. So driver research like crazy has been happening. At some point I will build a fan sub like thigpen rotary but that will be when I can have a dedicated theater in when I get my new place. And I have wanted some serious sub sonic performance 120dB ground plan at 5hz would be golden. Big enclosures are no issue. looked at the various options available but nothing stood out as a clear winner (short of the RE XXX but that is way to expensive). Multiples are the way to go big beefy multiples with 18s or 21s. for 18s it was the mal x or the lms 5400, the only real 21 that suited what i wanted was the mal x 21 which has similar performance to the 5400. then as luck would have it i was browsing avs and saw a thread that piqued my interest. Mach audio (now IST) is coming out with a 21 that is going to rival or beat the mal x 21 at much less cost. so i have ordered 4 :D (and i may order more later if I am really feeling the need for more bass!!). 34 or so mm xmax not sure what xmech is but it's big. fs of 16-18 hz. these things are going to be killer for the ultra low stuff. big sealed enclosures is how they will end up. Plus I got that mfw 15 driver sitting there waiting to get the spider re-attached which I have decided I will put into a folded horn to really give me that big midbass slam. I am still also considering ordering 16 mfw-15s to build into a sort of IB but that will come later. Anyways, the 21's I have ordered are waiting on parts so it will be abot 8-12 weeks out for them to come in. In the meantime I will build my folded horn project to give me an initial taste of the bass to come!

This thread will be one of a couple places I do the build thread. So right now not a lot to update but more to come soon.

Oh I also ordered a couple pairs of accuton tweeters that I am going to be experimenting with, also need to order some accuton mids and woofers. :D I need to post some pics, will take some this weekend to throw up. And yes matty boy is still kicking around, just been really busy with my new job and I also have started a company doing technology development and bringing new technologies to market. Kinda like what 3M does but with more of a focus on sustainable technologies and also really advanced bleeding edge tech also lots of work with composites.

More to come soon.

Matt
    Still think Craig is in the "Chase" for that sense of humour. :neener 1:

Paragraph breaks, I am too lit to read this. (were you lit when you typed it?) :grinning:

At some point I will build a fan sub like thigpen rotary but that will be when I can have a dedicated theater in when I get my new place.
    I made it this far. Cool, you accomplish this, I want two of them. :bowing:

More to com soon.

Matt
    I'm following you, I'll pick it up tomorrow, bro. Subscribed. :applause:

Comment

I didnt think i was that drunk when I wrote this... lol but re-reading it there is some poor quality sentence construction. Maybe I was just tired.... ;) :angel:

Here is a pic of my accuton tweeters. :D can't wait to put them into the super knarly cabs I am working on. Already sourced the elastomeric polymer just need to order the carbon fiber and the proper epoxy. and need to order vacuum bagging gear.

Matt
      Attached Files

Comment

Can I have those when you are done with them? :peeping:

Where are the rest of the drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract
          Can I have those when you are done with them? :peeping:

Where are the rest of the drivers?
          the 21s are waiting on parts be about 10 weeks for those.

I haven't decided on a midrange or woofers for the tower. I also have another pair of accuton tweets that I will be using in a 2-way, not sure which woofer I will use for those.

The tweets I have right now will go into a 4-way i am going to use rythmik servo 15s for the bass drivers. That set will be for dedicated 2 channel listening though not theater stuff. same with the 2-way. the 4-21s plus the horn are for theater duty!

Matt

Comment

Working...
          X