Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sub Combos.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sub Combos.....

    Guys-

    Have a neighbor that is building a HT.

    He is considering mating these subs with SHO10s at the moment.

    He may make his false wall <20 inches from his foundation, so he may not be in play for the SS 18.2/1 series.

    Currently we are thinking what would a DTS10kit + the Growler Duo mesh together like?

    DTS 10(s) behind the screen with a Growler Duo or other considerations in a few wall niches he has room for in his build.

    If you had a Behringer DCX2496 or MiniDSP to EQ, would that be a pretty lethal combination?

    I think he realizes the DTS10 is great up to about 45 hz, but then the distortion and resonance problems start up....so I was thinking of ways to help him out.

    Any ideas? I'm going over there today to check out his layout so I can get a better feel from it for recommendations. I'm going to try and get him to make his false wall deeper so he can consider multiple sealed as well....

    I'll get the space info and budget numbers as well.
    -Greg

    Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

    HO's Basement Take 2

  • #2
    The subs don't necessarily need to be behind his false wall. That might not even be the best location in his room. You could see if there are some other locations that might work.

    He could build some 17" cubes for the MFW-15 drivers and stack them behind the screen wall. If he uses his existing driver he could buy 7 more for under $600. With two of the modified SA1000 amps from Sandbagger and depending on room gain, he should get close to 120 dB down below 10 Hz without exceeding X-Max. Check out this thread at AVS. These are 3 cu ft each and Sandbagger is customizing the amp for 2.5 cu ft.

    Comment


    • #3
      mojave-

      You must know who I'm talking about-I think he wants to get away from the MFWs, but I'll check.
      -Greg

      Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

      HO's Basement Take 2

      Comment


      • #4
        So he is set on getting a DTS10 and probably a Growler or 2.

        What would be your suggestion on EQ solutions? DCX the best? Anything cheaper?

        He doesn't want the subs in the room and wants them all concealed behind the stage/screen and in some adjacent small rooms/coves...

        The DTS10 would be behind the screen and the growler or 2 on the right and left of the main seating.

        Thoughts?
        -Greg

        Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

        HO's Basement Take 2

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mojave

          LOL! Cool pic. :D

          Holy crap! That build thread at avs is NUTS!!!! :o

          I wonder how these MFW drivers sound in a sealed box as opposed to being ported?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by boober
            LOL! Cool pic. :D

            Holy crap! That build thread at avs is NUTS!!!! :o

            I wonder how these MFW drivers sound in a sealed box as opposed to being ported?
            There is also a build thread there with four dual opposed subs using 8 MFW-15 drivers.

            I have 8 of these drivers and also an MFW-15 Turbo with the Acousitc Elegance driver. I just received nofication that I will be getting 8 Acoustic Elegance IB15 drivers by next week. I will then have sixteen 15" drivers on hand! HuskerOmaha and I have talked (a little) about building out some boxes for the MFW-15 drivers to see how they sound.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HuskerOmaha
              What would be your suggestion on EQ solutions? DCX the best? Anything cheaper?
              He could get the MiniDSP. It would work perfectly for this situation.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks-I'll throw that suggestion at him-he is just starting out...I'm sure he will start an avsthread soon.
                -Greg

                Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

                HO's Basement Take 2

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi guys. Mojave and I met at Woollys GTG, I was actually just at Boyd and Charlies last week.

                  So HuskerO came over to see the room and he's got me talked into all this crazy stuff! I appreciate the help I never would have known to buy any of this on my own.

                  The 5 SHO-10's are ordered, the Growler is ordered, the Behringer EP4000 is ordered. I have not yet ordered the DTS-10 kit as they are available until the end of summer and I don't really want to build it until the room is ready, so that will be ordered farther down the line. My current MFW-15 will stay in the tv room upstairs, it's got a very simple 5.1 setup with all in-walls that Woolly and I put in when I moved in last year.

                  Once I get the new HVAC installed I will start the thread over on AVS.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nebrunner
                    I was actually just at Boyd and Charlies last week.
                    Welcome to CHT! For those who are wondering, Boyd and Charlies is a BBQ restaurant a few blocks from my house.

                    Yesterday I bought a MiniDSP to play with. You are welcome to try it with your system to see if it meets your needs.

                    Did you get the Growler or Growler Duo? I would love to hear one!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mojave
                      Welcome to CHT! For those who are wondering, Boyd and Charlies is a BBQ restaurant a few blocks from my house.

                      Yesterday I bought a MiniDSP to play with. You are welcome to try it with your system to see if it meets your needs.

                      Did you get the Growler or Growler Duo? I would love to hear one!
                      Originally posted by nebrunner
                      Hi guys. Mojave and I met at Woollys GTG, I was actually just at Boyd and Charlies last week.

                      So HuskerO came over to see the room and he's got me talked into all this crazy stuff! I appreciate the help I never would have known to buy any of this on my own.

                      The 5 SHO-10's are ordered, the Growler is ordered, the Behringer EP4000 is ordered. I have not yet ordered the DTS-10 kit as they are available until the end of summer and I don't really want to build it until the room is ready, so that will be ordered farther down the line. My current MFW-15 will stay in the tv room upstairs, it's got a very simple 5.1 setup with all in-walls that Woolly and I put in when I moved in last year.

                      Once I get the new HVAC installed I will start the thread over on AVS.
                      The HVAC is going to be quite the install--looked like a ton of work when I saw all your runs that have to be moved!

                      I still think you should buy mktheaters boxes he has left, but a dts 10 and growler(s) will be sweet!

                      mojave-he ordered the Growler.... I don't think you can get Growler Duos anymore? Or at least maybe they just aren't on the website, I'm sure he still has plenty of those drivers.....
                      -Greg

                      Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

                      HO's Basement Take 2

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by HuskerOmaha
                        mojave-he ordered the Growler.... I don't think you can get Growler Duos anymore? Or at least maybe they just aren't on the website, I'm sure he still has plenty of those drivers.....
                        I just read on his forum that the Duos aren't available - not enough interest.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Welcome to the forum, Nebrunner. Getting to be a Sea of Red in here. :D

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Why not just 2 x dts-10s?

                            but if he's set on a "chest" range horn of 40hz and up i'd look at the punisher

                            http://www.freespeakerplans.com/punisher-horn-ii.html

                            There's lots of info online, but the punisher will hammer you especially if stack a few behind a screen. I can't see needing it or playing nice with the dts-10 but never heard of anyone having both.
                            "I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              My neutrik connectors and the rca adaptor cables came in yesterday so I was able to hook up the Growler and try it out. I disconnected my MFW-15 and ran the sub out into the EPS4000, set the filter to cut out everything below 30hz.

                              I did some quick run throughs with Star Trek, Cloverfield, Tron Legacy. I was not running loudly at all, -20, but my wife was not pleased. The Growler seems like a very well built and impressive speaker, I'm looking forward to a more intense workout when my wife is out of the house.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X