Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed in drilling holes to mount speakers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help needed in drilling holes to mount speakers

    Hello DIYers,

    I just purchased new speakers that are box shaped with the dimensions 6Hx5Wx4D. Each of them weigh 3 lbs. But these speakers do not have any hole to mount on mounting bracket/stand. I have never done something like this before. So, I am looking for good suggestions from you all. I want to be able to create mounting holes on the back of the speakers so that it can be mounted on to any bracket or stand. I do not want to permanently screw the bracket/stand to the speaker box.

    Thanks for your time.

  • #2
    Give is a little more info, like what brand/model the speakers are. You don't want to accidentally drill into your crossover. :doh! 1:

    Comment


    • #3
      What type of hole would work for "any of bracket or stand"?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tesseract
        Give is a little more info, like what brand/model the speakers are. You don't want to accidentally drill into your crossover. :doh! 1:
        The speakers are WAF-3s from CHT. I understand that there is no crossover. But, I still cringe at the thought of a newbie like me drilling holes into the finished product. Also, without knowing the internal components, I am not sure whether it is ok to drill hole on the back, side, top, bottom or any of these surfaces.

        A couple of these speakers are going to be wall mounted and a couple on the speaker stand which has screws to mount.

        Originally posted by django1
        What type of hole would work for "any of bracket or stand"?
        I apologize for not being clear of this. My old satellite speakers have a threaded hole provided by the manufacture. Because the manufacturer provide this threaded hole:
        1. I don't have to drill the hole and be worried about damaging internal components in doing so. Also, I don't have to mess with the finished surface.
        2. I know the threaded holes are designed and built to support the weight of the speakers.
        3. As long as I have the screw that is a match for the threaded hole, I can use any of the off the shelf speaker mounts/stand that are available.

        Comment


        • #5
          You should probably ask one of the CHT reps as I can only guess at how they are made and they may not check out the diy threads.

          I'll guess 5/8 mdf. There are different types of threaded inserts. You drill a hole and then either screw them in or glue them in. I'd also guess that if there is no crossover there isn't much to drill into besides the driver itself and the wire connectors on the back. Just be careful when the drill breaks through :eek:.

          Personally I think I would opt for the screw on brackets. The speakers are light. Just use particle board screws ( with a coarse thread) the thickness of the bracket plus 5/8. Drill the recommended size pilot hole and then carefully screw in the screw without over tightening. It's easy to strip the screw holes in mdf. If you do just tightly fill the hole with wood glue and tooth picks and put the screw back in.

          My two cents.

          Comment


          • #6
            Are the WAF-3's made of MDF? If not, would another screw type be advisable? :no clue:

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tesseract
              Are the WAF-3's made of MDF? If not, would another screw type be advisable? :no clue:
              From the WAF 3 specs:
              "Cabinet: MDF
              Dimensions: 6" H x 5" W x 4" D (approx.)
              Weight: 3 lbs each"

              Comment


              • #8
                Yep, you are correct. I looked, but had a hard time paying attention at 4am. :embarass:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks django1 & tesseract for your replies. I appreciate it. I came across this side clamping wall mounts. It is more expensive than what I wanted to spend on mounts. Also, it is meant for heavier bookshelf speakers. But, I am thinking it is a good compromise for me as I want to drill the holes as a last resort. What do you guys think. The link to the product is
                  Pinpoint AM-40

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by chhtkrak
                    Thanks django1 & tesseract for your replies. I appreciate it. I came across this side clamping wall mounts. It is more expensive than what I wanted to spend on mounts. Also, it is meant for heavier bookshelf speakers. But, I am thinking it is a good compromise for me as I want to drill the holes as a last resort. What do you guys think. The link to the product is
                    Pinpoint AM-40
                    Looks good except they specify 5.5 inches wide and the waf is 5 inches wide.
                    Unless you turn them. If there is no reason you can't turn them to have the 6 inch side as the width, then it would look like a good solution.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by django1
                      Looks good except they specify 5.5 inches wide and the waf is 5 inches wide.
                      Unless you turn them. If there is no reason you can't turn them to have the 6 inch side as the width, then it would look like a good solution.
                      Yes, that is what I have planned on doing i.e. turn the speakers so that the 6" side could be used for clamping. I am assuming here that neither the speakers nor the sound quality will be affected by turning on its side. Do you know of any speaker (other then some down or side firing surround speakers) that it should not be turned on its side? Probably it is a good idea for me to check with CHT folks about this.

                      Thanks.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        found these on Amazon that good good reviews -and
                        they are sold by the pair :
                        http://www.amazon.com/Rocelco-B-Tech...8159832&sr=8-2

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X