Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dipole Speakers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dipole Speakers

    THX recommends these for surrounds, right?

    +/- to using these?
    -Greg

    Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

    HO's Basement Take 2

  • #2
    I would recommend these for surrounds.

    http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=113

    Comment


    • #3
      Interesting.

      16 inches from ceiling though? There would be some new holes to cut!
      -Greg

      Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

      HO's Basement Take 2

      Comment


      • #4
        I use bi-polar for my rears because my couch is up against the wall. I have space behind the couch in my room downstairs and use direct firing for rears.

        Comment


        • #5
          View from screen.



          Would you guys recommend something like this for my basement?

          Notice how the bar seating is against the wall...with the RS directly above it....

          Main seating is directly in front of bar....

          Thoughts?:goodvibes:
          -Greg

          Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

          HO's Basement Take 2

          Comment


          • #6
            We will be offering some additional choices as of 2/1 that will work for surrounds.

            Having said that, let me suggest you do a little research relative to the Axiom Audio QS8s. They are relatively small and extremely flexible for placement. They have two 5" woofers that fire up and down and two tweeters that fire out at angles. They are probably Axiom's best product. Having said all of that, their main attribute is the unvbelieveable audio they provide in delivering surround-intended ambient sound.

            I had a pair many years ago and sold them to upgrade to Rockets. I just got another set of the QS8s and they work extremely well with my SHO-10s. They are worth a look.
            Ray

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ray3
              We will be offering some additional choices as of 2/1 that will work for surrounds.

              Having said that, let me suggest you do a little research relative to the Axiom Audio QS8s. They are relatively small and extremely flexible for placement. They have two 5" woofers that fire up and down and two tweeters that fire out at angles. They are probably Axiom's best product. Having said all of that, their main attribute is the unvbelieveable audio they provide in delivering surround-intended ambient sound.

              I had a pair many years ago and sold them to upgrade to Rockets. I just got another set of the QS8s and they work extremely well with my SHO-10s. They are worth a look.
              Ray,

              Thanks for the link. I'm pretty set on my front soundstage, but the surrounds have been an issue.

              Something like this I think would be a lot more practical than a large SHO-10 on the wall for those 2 locations.

              I'll be waiting to see the new products on 2/1 as well.....

              Back to research as usual.......
              -Greg

              Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

              HO's Basement Take 2

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LoudandClear
                Be aware that Dipole speakers are out of phase from one side to the other. What this does is it creates a null directly in front of them which will be your bar seating area. Some manufaturers make them with a switch that allows Dipole or Bipole for different radiating pattern. Knowing which will be best might require testing both types.

                I think the dipole approach would probably still be better if I'm assuming future use of the basement will be HT with smaller groups (family) and use of the bar seating for football events/mma/pay per view...etc...(stereo mode).

                It wouldn't really matter as much then I'm guessing.....(the null).
                -Greg

                Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

                HO's Basement Take 2

                Comment


                • #9
                  Other options -
                  http://emotiva.com/erd1.shtm

                  http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...26,90,704.aspx

                  I just sold off my ELT DPAs and I am going with the av1rs from gr research.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LoudandClear
                    I'm just suggesting to consider ones that provide the ability to switch between Dipole and Bipole...... takes out the guessing.

                    Ahhh. finally an MMA fan. I've watched 90% of the UFC PPVs and WEC events for the last 3 years. DOH! I could have bought 2 new subs for the price I spent on them. Oh well, since the wife also likes it, it a family gathering :boxer:

                    Love MMA. I actually haven't watched too much since the HT/basement project started this past fall. The last one I saw on PPV (UFC) was the Brock Disaster. That guy is such a draw and fun to watch, hope he gets back. "Real" MMA people don't seem to like the guy winning.

                    Yah, I've seen some that have a switch for 3 different options for the dipole/bipole you speak of...just have liked the QS8 reviews and placements better so far...I'm still looking!
                    -Greg

                    Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

                    HO's Basement Take 2

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by corndog71
                      I would recommend these for surrounds.

                      http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=113

                      Wouldn't these give a sound that was TOO indirect?

                      they might be good for rears if you are sitting close to the wall but are they idela for sides?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Goon:

                        I looked those up for a while after the suggestion: I'm pretty sure these were the ones you mount 16 inches from the ceiling. Probably wouldn't be too shabby.

                        But ya, 1 foot above your head might be trouble.:whistle:

                        EDIT: L/C: I think Brock said he wanted to drink Coors Light and he wished they were his sponsor and Dana White laughing about it and feeling awkward at the post-fight presser. That is a good one to rewatch.
                        -Greg

                        Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

                        HO's Basement Take 2

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by LoudandClear
                          I'm just suggesting to consider ones that provide the ability to switch between Dipole and Bipole...... takes out the guessing.

                          Ahhh. finally an MMA fan. I've watched 90% of the UFC PPVs and WEC events for the last 3 years. DOH! I could have bought 2 new subs for the price I spent on them. Oh well, since the wife also likes it, it a family gathering :boxer:
                          Then again, Audioholics liked the Emotiva ones better. They have the switching ability you and cburbs spoke of.....

                          So, flip a coin?:nervous:

                          http://http://emotiva.com/erd1.shtm
                          -Greg

                          Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

                          HO's Basement Take 2

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by HuskerOmaha
                            Then again, Audioholics liked the Emotiva ones better. They have the switching ability you and cburbs spoke of.....

                            So, flip a coin?:nervous:

                            http://http://emotiva.com/erd1.shtm
                            I think that is a cool ability.
                            I haven't experimented myself -- you can see what I have -- the av123 RSS300's (dipoles).

                            I think some people would advocate for non bi/di-poles, especially with SACD/DVD-Audio surround mixes.
                            However, a more diffuse sound for HT might be better -- that's what I'm doing, but like I said, I never experimented with it.
                            Just so you know that there is some debate/discussion around it.

                            Mike
                            HT Gear (AVS Link)
                            Rk: MA WR-37-32
                            Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
                            Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
                            Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
                            Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
                            BR: Oppo BDP-103
                            Gm: 360 Pro
                            LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
                            S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
                            Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
                            Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
                            Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
                            TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I was reading on the THX website today that while they recommend rear surrounds to be direct radiators, they still suggest the side surrounds being "ambience" speakers and indirect radiators.

                              So the question is, are there any decent surrounds that using a similar waveguide style high frequency driver as a surround that would match up well with the sho10s for the rear surrounds?

                              I like the GR research surrounds, but I'm not sure how well the dome tweeters in that would match the sho10s. Anyone have any recommendations for side surrounds that would tonally match the shos and Gedlees?
                              LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
                              Subs: 4 x 18.2
                              Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X