Is this enough power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this enough power?

The AVR class I'm looking at (Onkyo NR1/3/5007)....

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/con...ver-test-bench

It looks like Sound and Vision benched the NR5007 at 68 WPC 5 and 7 channel driven before "protection circuitry" kicks in.

Are these just measurements and won't really have that real world difference?

I think the 1007 and 5007 have the same components and output other than the Video chips....

Will that be enough for my 5.1/Heights/Zone 2?

Or should I add an amp?

Do you add an amp that does all 7 channels or just the L/C/R and let the receiver do the rest? Receiver and amp is not additive, correct?

EDIT: Thinking of Emotiva UPA-7 or XPA-3 after 2 recommendations.....
    -Greg

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

HO's Basement Take 2

I went from the Onkyo 807 to the XPA-3 and it was bloody night and day. More dynamics, more space, more everything!

My personal $.02, get the least expensive unit that you can find that performs all the processing, pre-outs, etc that you need, and get an external amp.

Also, FWIW, I went through the whole "pro-amp" thing, with 400wpc and 200wpc Crowns, and while they were hella powerful, they were noisy / hissy compared to the XPA.

Comment

Reserved a Emotiva UPA-7.

I keep forgetting the sensitivity of CHT's speakers are so good I don't need much - if - anything!
      -Greg

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

HO's Basement Take 2

Comment

Originally posted by HuskerOmaha
        Reserved a Emotiva UPA-7.

I keep forgetting the sensitivity of CHT's speakers are so good I don't need much - if - anything!
        There you go. "thumbsup:

Comment

Working...
        X