N3s build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N3s build

I'm making these as per Experiments in panel vibration damping using what he calls a constrained layer substituting BB plywood for the 3/4 mdf. Why am I doing this? I'm cheap and had the materials laying around. Getting 2 sheets of NoRez to Canada would cost me $155.87:dizzy:..

So here is the plan: 3/4 inch BB plywood, three layers of self adhesive ice and water shield, 1/4 masonite adhered with Blue Seal waterproofing membrane, about 1 1/4 inches of Roxul and then the rest of the cavity loosely filled with fiberglass insulation. I only had to buy the plywood.
    Will this sound good? I don't know. Will it be waterproof? Yes!
    I can always retrofit the NoRez...

Progress so far (there are little temporary braces in the first pic): these things are like rocks...

This is going to be a great thread. I've also been following your AC thread.

More pics!

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract

More pics!
      Thanks, although you must lead a sheltered life:)...

Some progress. I should have used a down cutting spiral bit for the holes. I got a bit of tear out, though nothing major. I almost had to do one baffle over but managed to seize victory from the jaws of defeat . Luckily I make a lot of mistakes so I know how to cover them :biglaugh:... I'll start the crossovers just as soon as I slap on a coat of finish...

Comment

Originally posted by django1
        Thanks, although you must lead a sheltered life:)...
        I do, I'm a good boy. :angel: :SSH:

Comment

More pics!
          I agree, but what exactly are you building?
          Speaker, I know, but can you add some granularity to that?

Mike
          HT Gear (AVS Link)
          Rk: MA WR-37-32
          Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
          Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
          Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
          Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
          BR: Oppo BDP-103
          Gm: 360 Pro
          LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
          S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
          Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
          Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
          Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
          TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_TX
            I agree, but what exactly are you building?
            Speaker, I know, but can you add some granularity to that?

Mike
            Sorry. GR Research N3 sealed.

Comment

They are these but the N3s(sealed) build instead of the floor standing version.

http://gr-research.com/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=151

Comment

This part I find a bit more trying. Ron at AC was kind enough to take some closeup pictures of crossovers he is making. Those along with trying to follow the schematics should get me there. Can I blow anything up :nervous:?

Comment

Django,

Those speaker enclosures are looking really good! Nice 45's, by the way. That is always such a simple goal and difficult execution (at least for me!).

Can I blow anything up :nervous:?
                  No worries, you can't more than once per unit, typically.... :fryingpan:

John
                  Tweak City Audio WAF-1, Paradigm PS1000, Jolida FX-10 tube amp, Samsung Blu-ray, Beresford TC-7520 DAC, Apple Airport Express (living room)

Hawthorne Audio 101515 OB Trio DIY speakers, DIY Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 amp, DIY 6CL6 SPUD amp, Rythmik 370 OB Plate Amps (in stereo), Beresford TC-7520 DAC, Macbook Pro/iTunes & Decibel FLAC player for Mac, Sony S370 Blu-ray (listening room)

Other stuff: Usher S-520, JohnBlue JB-3, MiniWatt, Glow Amp One, Nuforce Icon Mobile, Sennheiser HD595

Comment

More pics!
                    +1 :applause:

Comment

Originally posted by InfernoSTi
                      Django,

Those speaker enclosures are looking really good! Nice 45's, by the way. That is always such a simple goal and difficult execution (at least for me!).
                      They are tough but I always enjoy when I can do small details like that. The initial reason I went with this design was because I liked the look but also to save a little work over veneering. I'm not sure I saved that much work as this was a kind of finicky build. I ended up with the baffles having to be cut out of square by a bit. When all the holes were done I ended up with a baffle I didn't like because of a bad fit. I managed to save it by cutting it a bit and adding a ply to the end. You can see the small piece I added at the bottom of the speaker.

Comment

The crossovers are ready to be installed. The boxes have had 4 coats of clear latex finish so tomorrow , hopefully, I'll be listening to these things.

If you can see anything wrong with the crossovers don't be shy...

Comment

Trust me when I tell you only YOU can see that stuff! They really look sharp. You did an excellent job with it and I hope they sound really good given the effort you have put into them.

I'm sure the crossovers will be fine. If they don't sound right, they are an easy rework, right? No worries...

John

They are tough but I always enjoy when I can do small details like that. The initial reason I went with this design was because I liked the look but also to save a little work over veneering. I'm not sure I saved that much work as this was a kind of finicky build. I ended up with the baffles having to be cut out of square by a bit. When all the holes were done I ended up with a baffle I didn't like because of a bad fit. I managed to save it by cutting it a bit and adding a ply to the end. You can see the small piece I added at the bottom of the speaker.
                          Tweak City Audio WAF-1, Paradigm PS1000, Jolida FX-10 tube amp, Samsung Blu-ray, Beresford TC-7520 DAC, Apple Airport Express (living room)

Hawthorne Audio 101515 OB Trio DIY speakers, DIY Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 amp, DIY 6CL6 SPUD amp, Rythmik 370 OB Plate Amps (in stereo), Beresford TC-7520 DAC, Macbook Pro/iTunes & Decibel FLAC player for Mac, Sony S370 Blu-ray (listening room)

Other stuff: Usher S-520, JohnBlue JB-3, MiniWatt, Glow Amp One, Nuforce Icon Mobile, Sennheiser HD595

Comment

looks good! :) :clapper:

Matt
                            Still think Craig is in the "Chase" for that sense of humour. :neener 1:

Comment

One down, one to go. It plays too..

Getting the crossovers screwed in in there is a b*&^h. This is a lot like work... Having a coffee break...

Comment

Working...
                              X