Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-I-C
    • May 2008

My Screen . . . She Shakes!

While calibrating my new sub, I noticed that my screen was vibrating. Is there a way to brace the screen, or perhaps add some sort of shock absorbers?

Any suggestions? :dizzy:
  • Stereodude
    TCA's Resident Biatch
    • Feb 2008

Are you talking about a projector screen? If so, are you sure the projector isn't shaking?
    With a shovel...

Comment

• kyle
      • Mar 2008

You could try puting your sub on a SubDude.

Comment

• m-fine
        • Mar 2008

What kind of screen?

What is it mounted to?

What kind of sub?

What kind of flooring, what floor, what is under it?

Comment

• P-I-C
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Stereodude
          Are you talking about a projector screen? If so, are you sure the projector isn't shaking?
          I think you're right. I think it's the projector. That . . . sucks. :(

Comment

• P-I-C
            • May 2008

Originally posted by m-fine
            What kind of screen?

What is it mounted to?

What kind of sub?

What kind of flooring, what floor, what is under it?
            Projection screen (110” DIY).

Hung on the wall, like a picture

Hsu VTF-1

Carpet (thick shag) / ground level / concrete under carpet.

But I've pretty much determined that it's the projector that's shaking.

Have any of you tried the SubDude thing? Would that work with a bottom-firing sub with spiked feet?

Comment

• kyle
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by P-I-C
              Have any of you tried the SubDude thing? Would that work with a bottom-firing sub with spiked feet?
              I have one, but I've not tried it yet. My Valor is scheduled to be here wednesday.

The reason I got the SubDude is because it's going in an upstairs room with a hardwood floor. I wouldn't think you'd get much benefit from it though to be honest since your Hsu is sitting on carpeted concrete. There's a pretty good thread on it at AVS if you're interested.

*edit*- it looks like you may have found the thread on AVS, if you're "piratehunter" that is.

Comment

• P-I-C
                • May 2008

Originally posted by kyle
                *edit*- it looks like you may have found the thread on AVS, if you're "piratehunter" that is.
                I is. :)

I need to ask that JohnDenver guy what kind of floor he has.

Comment

• Drunkonjack
                  Serial Speaker Buyer
                  • Mar 2008

Can some sound damping material fix this ?
                  A knock at the door said "Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms" I thought it was a delivery.:biglaugh:

Comment

• m-fine
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Drunkonjack
                    Can some sound damping material fix this ?
                    Nope, nor is a subdude likely to help.

With a concrete floor, the issue is not the sub transmitting vibrations through the wood floor joists.

You will need to mount the projector more solidly or into something more solid.

Comment

• P-I-C
                      • May 2008

I pulled up a bit more of my carpet and discovered that I actually do have wood underneath. That wood lies over the concrete. So, maybe the Subdude would help.

Comment

• m-fine
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by P-I-C
                        I pulled up a bit more of my carpet and discovered that I actually do have wood underneath. That wood lies over the concrete. So, maybe the Subdude would help.
                        I doubt it. You still are no where near the situation of a "first floor" install where you have long span 2x8's holding up the floor.

What is your projector mounted on/how is it mounted? Can you put your hand on it and steady the vibrations?

Comment

• P-I-C
                          • May 2008

The PJ is mounted with a DIY mount. It’s a steel rod bolted to the ceiling, which connects to the PJ with a plexiglass shield and spring-loaded screws on all four sides.

The PJ only shakes during very intense bursts, like when a ship comes out of lightspeed or something.

Comment

• m-fine
                            • Mar 2008

Spring loaded?

The idea of any springiness as well as the felibility of plexiglass could be the issue. If the projector can move, there is probably a resonant frequency at which it will.

If the sub is transmitting vibrations through the floor which is in turn vibrating up a wall stud to the ceiling joist you are mounted in to, the subdude will help. It does not sound like that is likeley.

If the ceiling joist is moving due to the sound waves on the ceiling itself etc. you will need to stiffen it up (no fun once there is a drywall ceiling up). The other option is to move the mount closer to a supporting wall since the deflection of the joist will be much lower as the span is decreased. You need a projector with a flexible lens zoom for that, if it is even possible with your joist orientation.

If it is what I think is most likely, and your projector mount is not rigid enough, you need to isolate which connections are shaking and stiffen them. Either the projector is moving where it connects to the mount or the mount is moving where it connects to the ceiling, or both. Tap on it with your hand and you should be able to see.

Comment

Working...