$179 DAC versus x-hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $179 DAC versus x-hub

Is the $179 DAC basically going to be the DAC in the x-hub, minus extra x-hub features?
    I am currently looking at the Channel Islands VDA-2, I am guessing that it would be unrealistic to expect the $179 DAC to compete with a $599 DAC?

Originally posted by dvenardos
    Is the $179 DAC basically going to be the DAC in the x-hub, minus extra x-hub features?
    I am currently looking at the Channel Islands VDA-2, I am guessing that it would be unrealistic to expect the $179 DAC to compete with a $599 DAC?
    It would not be unrealistic. There have been a number of new audio products that compare well with existing products well above their price range. We will have to wait until the TCA DAC shows up and gets some blind testing.

Comment

Yeah...I've been staring at the VDA-2 for months now. I have the ciaudio ps for my SB3...I love the product line over there as it makes "sense" to me, no frills but simple clean audio. See, I'm talking myself into it right now...gotta stop!

X-hub reads great...not sure I want to wait that long though.

Comment

It's not unrealistic, so we'll have to see what happens. The DAC707 is under $100 and sounds better than many DACs within components (though not necessarily to other outboard DACs). However, the VDA-2 is considered to be a pretty good DAC, so the TCA DAC is going to have to really perform to really reach that level. I've heard the VDA-1 and liked the sound. It's what caused me to go out an buy my 1st DAC.

Why don't you get the VDA-2, see what you think, and then get a TCA DAC as well when it comes out? The VDA-2 retains its value pretty well, and there's already plenty of interest in the TCA products.
        So say we all.

Comment

Originally posted by emac
          Why don't you get the VDA-2, see what you think, and then get a TCA DAC as well when it comes out? The VDA-2 retains its value pretty well, and there's already plenty of interest in the TCA products.
          I am a few months away from purchase, so it depends on how production ramps up on the x-hub and this DAC, but I'm guessing they won't be hitting the shelves before summer of '09. I may get the DAC707 and play around with modding and re-casing it like you have done as I won't risk screwing up a big investment and to hold me over until av123/tca come out with their products.

Comment

I am a few months away from purchase, so it depends on how production ramps up on the x-hub and this DAC, but I'm guessing they won't be hitting the shelves before summer of '09. I may get the DAC707 and play around with modding and re-casing it like you have done as I won't risk screwing up a big investment and to hold me over until av123/tca come out with their products.
            Dang, I've considered that too. I'm need to hook my future PS3 into a simple 2 channel. Its cheaper to buy a receiver than a nice dac and simple preamp...frustrating for the wallet.

Comment

Yeah but a nice DAC should (had better) sound better than a cheap receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by m-fine
                Yeah but a nice DAC should (had better) sound better than a cheap receiver.
                Yeah...I'm not disputing that. I just cringe when I look at the dollar to function ratio.

I could spend 500 on a new receiver, hook everything imaginable to it and have the latest formats available and not need external amplifiers, or I could buy a little box which converts my digi-signal to analog. I care more for listening to my music than what my movies sound like though.

Comment

The other option is to buy a $500 receiver. Spend another $800-$1500 on external amps as an upgrade. Then spend $179-$599 on a DAC. Sell the receiver for $175 and put that toward a $899 pre.

It never ends ;)

Comment

bump

Comment

Beginning to envision my 2 channel rig...

After seeing the SantaSchifter deals, my funds may start shifting.

If I go the ELT 5.0 speaker only deal, I can still pick up PS3 w/ Xmas bonus.
                      I keep the Towers, my daughter gets M's and center to start her off.
                      PS3 goes into "HT" room and my CDs ripped.
                      Changer goes upstairs to where 2 channel system will be. Pick up GIZMO (really want to wait on remote version) & DAC man and I'm well on my way to a nice 2 channel budget set-up....
                      Grab SCAMPS later next year for HT & 1 for 2 channel rig...
                      plus, there's the XHead included...:goodvibes::burgerking:

Sound like a good idea????:jiggy:

EDIT: Shrikes!! I can't do that!! Just remembered, my changer doesn't have digital out!!
                      This room also houses my desktop. I guess I could use pc as source (Audigy card) ???

BTW: these are the kind of post you get when I'm off, weather says stay inside, no "chores" or honey-dos, a bottle of MM, a good cigar & candles to hide the smell. (GF won't be too happy when she gets home)
                      Plus good tunes on the changer now (Jethro Tull, Steely Dan, Alejandro Escovedo, Ramones, Alice in Chains and Beastie Boys - hey, I like to mix it up!)
                      You stay on line, waiting, hoping for SCAMP or any news and MLS puts on his jolly ole' self.
                      Actually, I need a day like this at least once a month!:rock:
                      And, an AU win. And a spot on Deal or No Deal - or a pass to the final table at WSOP, or a winning lottery ticket....you get the picture!!:crazy::hissyfit:

Navin R. Johnson: "And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair."
                      :snaggletooth:

Comment

I started out with the ELT M's and C in a 3.1 setup, and a couple months later added the T's to get in on the labor day $999 sale.

I was happy with the M's and C, and would think it makes a very nice sounding (and nice looking) start into HT for anyone - your daughter included.

...But adding the towers was the best choice I could have made. I was able to snag them for $376 shipped (due to labor day sale and $75 credit I had). Hard to believe there is an even better deal now than the one I got in on.

I highly recommend the ELT package, and I think you'd be very pleased with the towers...but that's just one opinion.

Comment

OK Alphaii - you sold me...just gotta get the $$ shifted...

NOW CC - can we see DAC man, a GIZMOII, and Scamp by...April??(Tax return)
                          While I'm at it, WAF would be nice for surrounds for my daughter and speaks for the living area, etc...:neener::poke::stirthepot:

Comment

Well, someone has to offer a counterpoint so I will recomend you give the ELT's a listen before you buy.

A friend of mine purchased the M's and C and was deeply disapointed, and after listening so was I. His room is not huge but clearly too big for the ELT's with a seating distance of about 11 feet. The center does not sound natural, more like voices coming from a shoe box, and even with a MFW handling the bass they sounded like they were straining at decent volume levels. I much prefer the X-Encore series or rockets. FWIW, my friend decided the ELT's were not a keeper and ordered the Rockets instead.

Comment

Pacific Valve emailed me this weekend with information on the BADA Hybrid Tube DAC and a couple other tube DACs that are very reasonably priced for the quality build and performance. www.pacificvalve.us

Comment

Working...
                              X