Arx speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arx speakers

Just when I was about to pull the trigger on some N3's from GR Research someone pointed these out to me. They use a similar tweeter to the N3s and are quite a bit cheaper. Anyone heard them?

It's my opinion that cheaper seldom means comparable quality but for less money. In other words, there's a reason - and a good one - why they're cheaper. In this case, I think it's more than just the absence of a driver and the smaller enclosure.

If you're after sound quality, I think you'd be much better served with the N3. MTM arrays are fabulous! Plus, you can build your own enclosure which, if done right, will almost assuredly be better than something mass-produced.

Comment

There is also a MTM version the A2.
      http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...products_id=66

Comment

That's a much more fair comparison but are they still "quite a bit cheaper"? I have no idea how much the N3 kit is.

Comment

The area in which they are the most different (likely) would be in the crossovers. I'm not saying Arx does this, but many speaker companies skimp on the design/parts of the crossovers (as people are less likely to see them, and understand quality if they do see them.)

JP

Comment

I believe django is looking at the N3S.
            Originally posted by Zing
            That's a much more fair comparison but are they still "quite a bit cheaper"? I have no idea how much the N3 kit is.
            AR2 - $378 + shipping
            N3 - $389 ($499 sonicaps + mills) + shipping
            So, you are basically getting the cabinet and assembly for free with the AR2.
            Originally posted by zora
            The area in which they are the most different (likely) would be in the crossovers. I'm not saying Arx does this, but many speaker companies skimp on the design/parts of the crossovers (as people are less likely to see them, and understand quality if they do see them.)

JP
            That was my concern too.

Comment

Don is correct on all counts:).

I do agree that you get what you pay for and all that. Still I am very intrigued and would like to hear from someone who has heard them.

Avs thread

Comment

Originally posted by dvenardos
                AR2 - $378 + shipping
                N3 - $389 ($499 sonicaps + mills) + shipping
                So, you are basically getting the cabinet and assembly for free with the AR2.
                If you have the means to build your own cabinets, I think you'd be leaps and bounds ahead with the N3 on all fronts.

I guess it comes down to your perceived value. Do you want to spend $400 for B- quality and be happy or do you want to spend $700 for A+ quality and be ecstatic?

Comment

I think that is what we are trying to find out here, are they B- quality or not. I have heard the N2X with sonicaps and mills and they are fantastic speakers and I heartily recommend them.
                  I guess it comes down to your perceived value. Do you want to spend $400 for B- quality and be happy or do you want to spend $700 for A+ quality and be ecstatic?

Comment

If you have the means to build your own cabinets, I think you'd be leaps and bounds ahead with the N3 on all fronts.

Well, do you have first hand knowledge that the Arx are B quality? It just so happens you are on the forum of a company that sells inexpensive products that seem to be of high quality. (I write "seems" as I have not tried any CHT products nor do I know any of the forum members who have.)

Comment

I have tried the WAF-1 and gizmo, but you don't know me. :moon:
                      Originally posted by django1
                      (I write "seems" as I have not tried any CHT products nor do I know any of the forum members who have.)

Comment

Just to be clear, the GR Research speakers are backed by a lot of people I respect and are my first choice but I would really kick myself if in a month or two, after having bought and assembled the N3s, everyone jumps on the Arx because they are so incredible for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by django1
                          Don is correct on all counts:).

I do agree that you get what you pay for and all that. Still I am very intrigued and would like to hear from someone who has heard them.

Avs thread
                          I believe the folks behind Arx are well-respected and have been designing/building speakers for quite some time (I can't remember their name before the switch to Arx). The anecdotal evidence by people who have heard these speakers is that they provide great QPR, much like CHT.

Jim

Comment

There are a lot of speakers out there you can spend $400 on that aren't anywhere near the caliber of the Neo series of kits. That's not to say none can ever be, but just because the Arx speakers use a planar tweeter doesn't make them peers necessarily.

Of course that's easy for me to say since it's not my money, but I believe fully that the Neo series are standard-setters in their price range IF you are willing to build them yourself. If you want something pre-built the decision becomes tougher, as it isn't cheap to get quality cabinets built.
                            Angel City Audio
                            East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

TAI Acculine speakers used the BG Neo3 planar tweeter. A switch was made to another planar ( I do not know what make) that is said to have been a major improvement. Also of note, the woofer was changed to an XBL2 design, similar if not the same as the GR offerings. These changes were enough to warrant a name change, these speakers are known as Arx.

I would venture a guess that the crossover of the Arx is of high quality. From their web store. http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...products_id=65

"The Arx A1 excels at music and its high-power crossover network sums the drivers seamlessly. Like all Arx models, the A1 has been engineered for a consistent soundfield with excellent acoustical power distribution. Inside we've used heavy gauge, low-loss inductors, premium film capacitors, and non-inductive resistors, all CAD-designed and then tuned by ear over dozens of hours of critical listening."

The Arx shouldn't be dismissed because of their price. Economies of scale may be at play here, TAI sells a lot of speakers.

30 day trial period makes it easy to try.

Comment

Working...
                              X