The Stereoid Amp concept amp ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cbc
    Anyone else not getting email notifications on replys to threads in here?
    I'm subbed to 4 or 5 different ones, checked my settings , all showing instant email notification, but not getting any emails on replies...:nervous:
    Yep, same for me.

Comment

• I'm very basic in my needs for an integrated.

1 or 2 analog inputs.
      2 Digital/optical inputs
      SOLID Sounding DAC
      Preouts and sub out

That sums it up for me...

Comment

• Judging from all this discussion back and forth, maybe what you should build next is quality basic no-frills preamp, then make the amplifiers at different power/price points to satisfy everyone. Preferably a hybrid preamp with a tube stage.

I saw a simple video camera being demonstrated earlier this week on HSN. Push one buttom, it starts; push it again, it stops. Push another button and view playback. Fits in you shirt pocket. Okay, on the side was the USB plug. No cables required. It just unfolded or swung out exposing the USB plug. The software was built-in. Just unfold the plug, plug it into your computer.

I thought, wouldn't it be a good idea to have an amp, a preamp, a DAC, a Phono amp, a headphone amp, all designed like that? Tiny little modules that simply plugged into each other, depending on what you wanted. In fact, you could even put the Remote Control in a separate module for those who wanted it. Amp/preamp; add a DAC; or add Headphones or Phono. It would fit into a single horizontal chassis and every module would face frontwards. The chassis would have various sized faceplates to fill in the empty spaces. If you got everything -- each one would have a plug on the side (or you could just use custom short cables in the back -- almost like jumpers) -- if you used every module, it would fill up the front completely. If you used only a few modules, you would fill in the blank space with a faceplate. It seems like that would be a good system to market because it allows a person to choose, also enter on a budget and upgrade so the customer would keep coming back for more; also, you could upgrade the amps from low power to more power; or upgrade anything -- better DAC, improved Phono Stage, whatever. Oh, you could also have a "Tube Stage" module. This way you're not stuck with one design that may not sell, or go out of date, or be by-passed by competitors or new technology, whatever. Oh, I forgot the FM module, the HD module, the XM Radio Module... and this doesn't even mention the Squeezebox type additions.

Comment

• I completely agree with Larry. This sounds like the best of all worlds allowing people to pay for what they want/need, allowing for upgradeability in a cost effective manner. This would also allow for the ability to sell each individual component, satisfying more people. $50 Solid DAC, $80 Amp, $80 preamp, already up to $210. Each component being priced fair below the cheapest alternative (superdac for $100).

Comment

• The problem is you can't make a $50 Solid DAC and $80 amp and $80 pre, especially since in your model you have to duplicate the powersupply and case. It will always be more expensive to make something modular than to make an all in one box.

Comment

• Fair enough as i was arbitrary in my pricing, but using the same casing and power supplies for all units would lower the costs considerably.

Comment

• Biggest problem with PSUs is the voltages required for different things:

Some DACs/opamps are +12/-12, some are +15/-15 some have a +/-5v, amps have 12-30v + PSU requirements and tubes need high plate voltage or there are some 24v plate tubes.

Sure you could use a 30+v supply for everything and keep stepping it down but it would require a lot of componentry and if something failed you would have a lot of potential for damage.
                Regular guy.
                Tubey or not tubey, that is the question :smoke1:

Comment

• But is it possible to source components that use similar power requirements? I'm just thinking of the saying 'good at everything, great at nothing', maximizing the performance per dollar would be my selling point (which i'm sure is the goal of TCA), rather than just cheapest all arounder... The random pricing i threw up could be used say, if all components were purchased as a package. Slight increase if you buy 2 of 3 components. And individual pricing slightly more... Someone that wants to use their CD player's DAC may not want to pay for the DAC that IS included, so buying solely a pro and amp would maximize their dollar/performance. Or even just buying the pro to integrate with a current separates system for 2 channel listening..

Dont get me wrong, an integrated first, with all you can cram in for the dollar, would be a sound product. But i like the fact that you can upgrade each component independent of the others.

Maybe the separates as a product later down the road...

Comment

• Originally posted by ddoonie
                    Fair enough as i was arbitrary in my pricing, but using the same casing and power supplies for all units would lower the costs considerably.
                    Even if it is the same case, 3 of them costs 3 times as much as one. The components costs wont all tripple, but you still have to pay for 3x circuit boards and 3x assembly and so forth. Don't forget 3x shipping, packing warehouse space etc.

If an all in one unit costs $200, I would not be surprised if it cost $90-100 a piece to get the same quality in 3 different boxes, maybe more.

Comment

• The biggest part of developing a modular system (believe me, I have thought it out, blueprinted it etc) is the amount of redundancy you have to engineer in.

You have to have connections ready for any and all possible combinations.

On top of that, it would be a pretty unique product meaning you have to engineer, from the ground up, something like a PC chassis that has easily installed and removed components. (AND keep it attractive somehow)

Im not saying it isn't possible, it certainly is...but it isn't very probable either.

Maybe down the road something like this would be doable. I would love to see us get to it first, but I have no doubts other companies are cooking something up...it just seems logical...that and I have a history of designing stuff that is already being thought of by others with way more money and resources than I. :thumbsup:
                      Regular guy.
                      Tubey or not tubey, that is the question :smoke1:

Comment

• Maybe a compromise is a box large enough to fit "everything", but then the option to order various custom versions of that unit, with just the stuff you wanted. You'd gain some economy with same box I suppose, and people would not have to pay for what they don't want.

OTOH, there seem to be more accessible and affordable options every day in this arena. Not really sure we need to reinvent anything.
                        As it turns out, I was never banned. I was wrong yet again. First Obama, now this. :)

Comment

• Ok, guys - Here is what I am going to send to Doug for the "no frills" integrated:

1. 60-80 WPC @ 8 ohms
                          2. 75-100 WPC @ 4 ohms
                          3. 2 or 3 RCA inputs
                          4. Remote Control
                          5. Use either current Gizmo or X-Amp chassis (Gizmo would be limited to 2 RCA, for sure).

This seems to best match what everyone is seeking. :yes:

For clarity - we are still in the "let's hear your opinion" stage. Keep in mind, Gizmo 2 will be 50 WPC with lots of bells/whistles.

Comment

• Originally posted by craigsub
                            Ok, guys - Here is what I am going to send to Doug for the "no frills" integrated:

1. 60-80 WPC @ 8 ohms
                            2. 75-100 WPC @ 4 ohms
                            3. 2 or 3 RCA inputs
                            4. Remote Control
                            5. Use either current Gizmo or X-Amp chassis (Gizmo would be limited to 2 RCA, for sure).

This seems to best match what everyone is seeking. :yes:

For clarity - we are still in the "let's hear your opinion" stage. Keep in mind, Gizmo 2 will be 50 WPC with lots of bells/whistles.
                            I like the sound of this - would probably end up being foundation for my truly dedicated 2 channel system. "Desktop Gizmo" will be it at first - but my ultimate goal is to have my TT , a mid level CD player and small towers driven by a small, simple yet highly capable integrated...
                            It would be in our loft area with just a reading chair or two :thumbsup::yes:

But, of course, GIZMO2 may offer just that and more...

Comment

• I forgot to add - a price under $200 with the remote control.

Comment

• Originally posted by craigsub
                                I forgot to add - a price under $200 with the remote control.
                                :thumbsup: 'Mo Betta!

Comment

Working...
                                X