Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Stereoid Amp concept amp ...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by godawgs5
    Power button on the front with a dimable power indicator light.
    Ha, that's one of the best ideas I've heard. Who hasn't been blinded by the recent trend of using ultra bright leds in electronics?

    Comment


    • #92
      Or just not use laser-beams as LEDs. :nervous:
      Regular guy.
      Tubey or not tubey, that is the question :smoke1:

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by dweekie
        Ha, that's one of the best ideas I've heard. Who hasn't been blinded by the recent trend of using ultra bright leds in electronics?
        I have an old Monster Power Conditioner that annoys the crap out of me with its ugly LEDs. I really need to bring the Panamax downstairs (at least all blue is more appealing)
        "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

        -Bill Watterson

        Comment


        • #94
          The no frills integrated sounds interesting.

          Here are my ideas for the unit:

          1) Great sound quality!
          2) preamp control with repeatable dB steps (i.e. 0.5dB/step).
          3) remote control.
          4) Power level 25W to 75w for desktop setup.
          5) three inputs remote selectable.
          6) interstage coupling between preamp section and amp section either DC coupled or servo controlled so that it has bass response!
          7) small case for desktop environment.
          8) same as Brad, wide bandwith, low distortion.
          9) Cool looking case! :)
          10) no tone controls.
          11) The preamp section using something like the Burr Brown (TI) PGA2310 with a small microcontroller for remote and level set.
          12) numeric display for level setting.

          Just my thoughts.
          Better living through Audio Nirvana!

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by billnchristy
            My "perfect" amp for my bedroom or office would be this:

            2 inputs with a simple toggle switch, a volume control, and a set of full range volume dependent outputs that I could add a powered sub to.

            Nice and simple. :thumbsup:
            That'd work for me too, just add a remote to control volumes & you got a weiner!:goodvibes:

            Comment


            • #96
              The no frills integrated sounds interesting.

              Here are my ideas for the unit:

              1) Great sound quality!
              2) preamp control with repeatable dB steps (i.e. 0.5dB/step).
              3) remote control.
              4) Power level 25W to 75w for desktop setup.
              5) three inputs remote selectable.
              6) interstage coupling between preamp section and amp section either DC coupled or servo controlled so that it has bass response!
              7) small case for desktop environment.
              8) same as Brad, wide bandwith, low distortion.
              9) Cool looking case!
              10) no tone controls.
              11) The preamp section using something like the Burr Brown (TI) PGA2310 with a small microcontroller for remote and level set.
              12) numeric display for level setting.

              Just my thoughts.
              Could you imagine HAL's amp WITH frills? ;)

              J/K HAL but that is a heck of a list!
              Regular guy.
              Tubey or not tubey, that is the question :smoke1:

              Comment


              • #97
                I think you guys have missed the application of powering the rear/side surrounds in a mono-block situation. A lot of people would like the xamp for L/R/C but a 75 wpc stereo amp for the rear and side surrounds would be an excellent application because 150 wpc is overkill for those channels. In which case you don't need any frills.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by dvenardos
                  I think you guys have missed the application of powering the rear/side surrounds in a mono-block situation. A lot of people would like the xamp for L/R/C but a 75 wpc stereo amp for the rear and side surrounds would be an excellent application because 150 wpc is overkill for those channels. In which case you don't need any frills.
                  The problem is they are calling this thing an "amp" when it really is an "integrated". A simple 80-100 watt per channel amp will appear in the X-amp line and will serve as exactly the product you describe except for the extra 5-25 watts.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Bill,
                    That is actually close the the old Audio Alchemy DLC preamp, tied to a stereo amp. I really like that preamp!

                    The BB (now TI) PGA2310 is supposed to be an improvement over the original Crystal Semiconductor CS3310 IC. Higher power supply rails for more headroom. :applause:

                    The issue with the DLC was the input and output coupling caps were electrolytics due to size constraints. This limited the LF response from my observation. Going with a DC coupled or DC servo output should solve that issue.

                    The nice thing is the TI IC is a direct replacement for the CS3310!
                    Better living through Audio Nirvana!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by HAL
                      The issue with the DLC was the input and output coupling caps were electrolytics due to size constraints. This limited the LF response from my observation. Going with a DC coupled or DC servo output should solve that issue.
                      Really? Interesting. I've mainly had excessive LF and limited HF with electrolytics. It must be the type. DC coupling or servo is far better, I agree.

                      Comment


                      • dweekie,
                        If the DLC had the room, I would put in four, 10uF+ Sonicaps to replace the electrolytics. Other than that, still one of my favorite preamps. :thumbsup:
                        Better living through Audio Nirvana!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by m-fine
                          The problem is they are calling this thing an "amp" when it really is an "integrated". A simple 80-100 watt per channel amp will appear in the X-amp line and will serve as exactly the product you describe except for the extra 5-25 watts.
                          Ah, thanks for the clarification. :)

                          Comment


                          • Anyone else not getting email notifications on replys to threads in here?
                            I'm subbed to 4 or 5 different ones, checked my settings , all showing instant email notification, but not getting any emails on replies...:nervous:

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by m-fine
                              The problem is they are calling this thing an "amp" when it really is an "integrated". A simple 80-100 watt per channel amp will appear in the X-amp line and will serve as exactly the product you describe except for the extra 5-25 watts.
                              Well, you still might want an integrated if you have to balance the volume of the internal amp with an external amp since it seems the X amps have no gain control on them.
                              With a shovel...

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Stereodude
                                Well, you still might want an integrated if you have to balance the volume of the internal amp with an external amp since it seems the X amps have no gain control on them.
                                Seth - I am possibly jinxing this, but we are exploring the viability of getting a 75 WPC integrated amplifier into the Gizmo chassis. If we can do this, look for something simple, probably without a remote, in the $149-$169 delivered range.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X