The Stereoid Amp concept amp ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cujobob
    So if I find a vintage McIntosh receiver...gut it...and put my digital amp inside...it will improve the sound of my setup?

Will do!
    Absolutely ... sound stage will get wider and deeper, and bass will tighten up. :applause:

Comment

Originally posted by Stereodude
      This is not a digital switching amp like the Gizmo and all the other X products? :confused:
      I sent specs on the PE APA-150 to the guys, and I was thinking AB. However, it could end up a digitial ... stay tuned.

Comment

So if I find a vintage McIntosh receiver...gut it...and put my digital amp inside...it will improve the sound of my setup?
        If you do this don't guys in black trenchcoats and sunglasses show up at the door? :nervous:
        Regular guy.
        Tubey or not tubey, that is the question :smoke1:

Comment

Originally posted by craigsub
          If Matt was here, and we fired up 2 different T-amps - or any other type of amp, for that matter, on a pair of LS-6's, and we did 100 tests, Matt would have to be able to confirm which amp was which, at least 80% of the time.
          First off, I specified LS-9's. I want to take them home with me after I win the bet ;).

Second, it would have to be a T-amps and a Gizmo. The idea being that I could readily hear the impact of the Gizmo's high pass on a full size speaker that extends well below 40 hz. If we are crossing both amps over at 100 hz, or even using bookshelf speakers that roll off in the 50's, I am not taking the bet so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by m-fine
            First off, I specified LS-9's. I want to take them home with me after I win the bet ;).

Second, it would have to be a T-amps and a Gizmo. The idea being that I could readily hear the impact of the Gizmo's high pass on a full size speaker that extends well below 40 hz. If we are crossing both amps over at 100 hz, or even using bookshelf speakers that roll off in the 50's, I am not taking the bet so quickly.
            Matt, in that case, you would not be hearing the difference in amps. You would be hearing the effects of the crossover.

:dizzy:

Comment

I sent specs on the PE APA-150 to the guys, and I was thinking AB. However, it could end up a digitial ... stay tuned.
              Isn't the whole design Doug cooked up all digital? I would think dropping back to an analog design would not leverage any of the work done on all the other X products.
              With a shovel...

Comment

I think the Stereoid should have / be:

- 75W x 2 (or more) at 8 ohms.
                - Integrated Amp (with a volume control)
                - Support an IR remote (for at least volume)
                - Have at least 2 sets of RCA inputs
                - Be a digital switching amp (like the X-amp and friends)
                With a shovel...

Comment

Just don't have them duplicate the gain spec - the PE APA150 has way too much gain, IME, for a desktop amp.

Comment

Originally posted by BradJudy
                    Just don't have them duplicate the gain spec - the PE APA150 has way too much gain, IME, for a desktop amp.
                    Thanks - I have a feeling Stephen will be doing a digital for us, anyway. I am anxious to see what he can do ... :thumbsup:

Comment

I know this has been said, but put my vote for SQ above all else. Having said that, I think it's only fair to mention that what I am considering using it for would be my secondary setup upstairs which is one source only (computer). I think that might be a valuable question to ask as well during the planning phase-- what is everyone planning to use this for? For me, for example, it would be going upstairs because integrating it into my HT setup downstairs would be a real pain if I wanted to retain the ability to keep my multichannel setup without a switcher (and I do). So for me at least, this would be directly competing with the likes of the SI Gen 2 (which I have), the Trends 10.1 (which I just received and am listening to now), the NuForce Icon (which I have been trying diligently to resist), et al. I already plan on purchasing a Gizmo for the same system, so I guess the Stereoid would be competing with that too ;). Just my (admitted scattered) thoughts. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! Thanks for allowing us to be a part of the process, Craig!

Comment

Originally posted by BradJudy
                        They shouldn't duplicate the APA150 at all. They already sell it for $160. I can't see selling a clone of it (feature wise) for more money being a good seller.
                        With a shovel...

Comment

Originally posted by Stereodude
                          They shouldn't duplicate the APA150 at all. They already sell it for $160. I can't see selling a clone of it (feature wise) for more money being a good seller.
                          Seth, I said I sent the SPECS on it to the guys. It's a pretty large stretch to go from that to calling what we will do a clone.

By sending specs, it allows Stephen and Doug to see what is already available.

Comment

It's a pretty large stretch to go from that to calling what we will do a clone.
                            Which is precisely why I said, "I can't see selling a clone of it (feature wise)...". I was referring to cloning the specs / features, not the whole thing. I thought my post made that pretty clear. :scratchchin:
                            With a shovel...

Comment

Matt, in that case, you would not be hearing the difference in amps. You would be hearing the effects of the crossover.

:dizzy:
                              I would be hearing a difference between the two units by listening to something outside the linear range of one or both amps.

The point is, the setup of the test goes a long way to determining whether it is easy, hard, or impossible to audibly detect a difference. If I know the two amps well enough I can design a "blind" test to come out with the result I desire. That also means the gear and material you listen to will determine how much of a difference is audible in real world listening.

I think the specs measured with a single sine wave, through a consistent resistor load, lead people to believe their amps are more linear and have lower distortion than they probably have with a variable impedance load (loud speaker) and real world material with many simultaneous frequencies. Since different amps will behave differently as they go non-linear or distort, I think this is what people are hearing when they can honestly hear a difference between amps.

So, what makes an amp a better sounding amp? Do you prefer it to stay within its linear limits with low distortion, or do you want one that goes non-linear or distorts in a pleasing fashion? I don't think that is as simple of a question as it first seems.

Comment

I have not read through this whole thread yet but I thought I would give my two cents anyways:
                                Simple amp = 2 channel with capabilities to run 4 ohm loads and bridge the channels to run as a monoblock.
                                Less Simple = Maybe a couple finish options to match over components. Hopefully it runs cool and is small. Power button on the front with a dimable power indicator light.

Comment

Working...
                                X