Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Stereoid Amp concept amp ...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    We made no allusions to the fact that we were doing anything but having fun. Plain and simple. Even with our simple nonscientific format it was quite an endurance test and pretty stressful....

    Not something I plan on doing again thank you very much.

    I will echo Dweekies comments...I find the Trends a little "dark" without mods.

    Don't forget also, its not 15 vs 75 watts its more like 6-8w vs 75w...big difference.
    Regular guy.
    Tubey or not tubey, that is the question :smoke1:

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by billnchristy
      We made no allusions to the fact that we were doing anything but having fun. Plain and simple. Even with our simple nonscientific format it was quite an endurance test and pretty stressful....

      Not something I plan on doing again thank you very much.

      I will echo Dweekies comments...I find the Trends a little "dark" without mods.

      Don't forget also, its not 15 vs 75 watts its more like 6-8w vs 75w...big difference.
      I cannot imagine you NOT doing another one of these tests. You just need to participate in one properly done ... the bar will be open afterward ... :stirthepot::yes::thumbsup:

      Comment


      • #18
        Personally, a no frills amp appeals more to me than an amp with bells and whistles.

        I'd say a nice integrated with 3 or so inputs, remote optional, pre out, sub out would be very nice to have for a small 2 channel or office setup.

        Comment


        • #19
          Okay...if the bar is open........maybe....
          Regular guy.
          Tubey or not tubey, that is the question :smoke1:

          Comment


          • #20
            My (probably unpopular) vote would be for basics - good SQ (low noise, wide bandwidth), two inputs (manual switching is fine, since input switching isn't a frequent task to me), relatively small form factor (desktop size, not rack width).

            No gee-wiz features required.

            Remote is a possible option, but I'd focus on volume/mute before power on or input selection.

            Basically, I'd want an x-empower. :) :stirthepot:

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by craigsub
              Where does one purchase the Trends ?
              If you'd like, I can lend you mine. I sent it down to Bill for a while along with my amp switch box, which I could also send you (although Bill decided it interferes with SQ and made amps sound the same).

              Comment


              • #22
                I like a nice simplistic design, but have a normal 17" chasis to tie in with the looks of a standard size cdp and what not. Something that would compete with the Music Hall, Cambridge Audio, Marantz stuff....keep the face clean, 2-4 knobs, controls sub out for sure....remote optional.....but 50-75 watts of good clean power....or more :)
                ===
                stereojunkie

                Comment


                • #23
                  My "perfect" amp for my bedroom or office would be this:

                  2 inputs with a simple toggle switch, a volume control, and a set of full range volume dependent outputs that I could add a powered sub to.

                  Nice and simple. :thumbsup:
                  Regular guy.
                  Tubey or not tubey, that is the question :smoke1:

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by stereojunkie
                    I like a nice simplistic design, but have a normal 17" chasis to tie in with the looks of a standard size cdp and what not. Something that would compete with the Music Hall, Cambridge Audio, Marantz stuff....keep the face clean, 2-4 knobs, controls sub out for sure....remote optional.....but 50-75 watts of good clean power....or more :)
                    In terms of sonics, keeping with those excellent companies is doable. The actual frame size of the amp will be the same as AV123's X-Amp.

                    This will allow us to maximize sound quality for the :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy: you spend.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by BradJudy
                      If you'd like, I can lend you mine. I sent it down to Bill for a while along with my amp switch box, which I could also send you (although Bill decided it interferes with SQ and made amps sound the same).
                      Thanks, Brad - But I don't think it will be necessary. $150 for an 8 watt amp is not much competition. :thumbsup:

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by BradJudy
                        My (probably unpopular) vote would be for basics - good SQ (low noise, wide bandwidth), two inputs (manual switching is fine, since input switching isn't a frequent task to me), relatively small form factor (desktop size, not rack width).

                        No gee-wiz features required.

                        Remote is a possible option, but I'd focus on volume/mute before power on or input selection.

                        Basically, I'd want an x-empower. :) :stirthepot:
                        You are being heard. I need to find out if making a remote standard can be done while keeping costs in line.

                        I "think" doing it as an option would make for an expensive option.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by craigsub
                          You are being heard. I need to find out if making a remote standard can be done while keeping costs in line.

                          I "think" doing it as an option would make for an expensive option.
                          If you include the IR sensor and the remote capability standard, the remote itself could be optional, or you could just tell people where to get a universal remote.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by craigsub
                            Thanks, Brad - But I don't think it will be necessary. $150 for an 8 watt amp is not much competition. :thumbsup:
                            Yeah but if those 8 watts sound real good and someone comes out with a high sensitivity line of speakers (hmmm who would have plans for that?) it could become competition.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by m-fine
                              Yeah but if those 8 watts sound real good and someone comes out with a high sensitivity line of speakers (hmmm who would have plans for that?) it could become competition.
                              A Gizmo will still toast it for less money. :thumbsup:

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                If you include the IR sensor and the remote capability standard, the remote itself could be optional, or you could just tell people where to get a universal remote.
                                I think the actual motorized pot and all the internal stuff required for a remote controlled system is where a lot of the expense is...the remote itself isn't much unless you are doing a solid billet of aluminum or chunk of hardwood.
                                Regular guy.
                                Tubey or not tubey, that is the question :smoke1:

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X