Somebody explain "Pro" speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody explain "Pro" speakers

A while back I went to this little do and they had what looked like "pro" speakers up hanging off the ceiling. A musician friend had given them to the owner. They sounded real good. Now with Craig's "pro" speakers seeming to be the cats meow at a ridiculously good price I'm wondering what is up with these. Not to long ago I asked in a thread why modern speakers where tall and skinny with small woofers and I got a yadda, yadda, yadda bunch of seemingly smart answers. Now we've got the Pro 10 which is short and squat with a big woofer and I'm going to get more yadda, yadda smart answers about why this is such a good idea :biglaugh:.

So, enlighten me...

Stephen - Pro speakers, by definition, are speakers which are used to make someone money. For example, one might see pair of **** 901's in a bar. **** even makes (or used to) a "pro" version of the 901's.

PRO speakers are typically high efficiency, high output speakers.

PRO speakers have the reputation for being inaccurate "noise machines". They often are - especially the mass produced stuff.

On the other hand, Klipsch Heritage speakers have been used as PRO speakers and in high end systems for decades.

In today's world, building a PRO speaker which combines high efficiency and great sound is becoming more common. Klipsch, JBL, JTR, Seaton and now our PRO-10 are all good examples.

I approach even my own products as a hobbyist. I now use PRO-10's in our main theater because they sound a lot better than anything else we have. Really. :brainiac:

Comment

I thought the PRO version of the 901 was called the 802. Now I have to go look ... :woo:

Comment

"PRO speakers are typically high efficiency, high output speakers."

This. Pro speakers often use horns (or waveguides), horns have a lot of drawbacks, though some really great benefits as well. One of the main issues has been getting around those drawbacks..high order modes/HOMs (the reflections that cause the horn 'honkiness'), as an example.
        "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

-Bill Watterson

Comment

Some generalizations, although obviously there will be exceptions to everything.

There are generally 2 types of Pro speakers, sound reinforcement (PA) and studio monitors. Studio monitors are more designed towards accuracy and PA speakers are designed more towards durability and efficiency. Horns and compression drivers are more common in sound reinforcement gear than studio monitors. Floor standing speakers make zero sense in either pro environment, since they will either block the stage, or be obscured by a mixing console or other gear in the studio.

With the advancement of computers and small project studios a lot of the studio monitoring gear is designed for nearfield listening. My guess is that a lot of the advancement in speakers like Pro10 that seem more like sound reinforcement speakers than studio monitors is due to places that need quality sound reinforcement, like movie theaters.

In general I find pro gear to sound good, but more sterile than I want in my home system - I want it to sound pretty, more than accurate. For the record, as a video editor I listened to studio pro gear all day long from brands like Genelec, Tannoy, Mackie, KRK, JBL, B&W (consumer), Urei, etc.

I never really wanted that type of sound in my home. Lately, I've just been using consumer speakers for work - accurate enough, cheap and non-fatiguing. It all depends on what your after.

Jim C

Comment

"Pro" speakers also have other issues. like the type of connectors, wheels for portability, handles for easy carrying, water resistant finishes for use in bars, etc...

I suspect that Pro typically means it's durability and functionality, more so than acoustic quality.

IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by django1
              Now we've got the Pro 10 which is short and squat with a big woofer and I'm going to get more yadda, yadda smart answers about why this is such a good idea :biglaugh:.

So, enlighten me...
              Originally posted by freeflap
              "Pro" speakers also have other issues. like the type of connectors, wheels for portability, handles for easy carrying, water resistant finishes for use in bars, etc...

I suspect that Pro typically means it's durability and functionality, more so than acoustic quality.

IMO.
              In this case, we are talking about pro drivers, a waveguide, and all the positive attributes gained from high sensitivity and constant directivity. The connections will be consumer, no wheels or handles unless you want to pay extra. :smoke1:

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract
                .... no wheels or handles unless you want to pay extra. :smoke1:
                :loser:

Wheels and handles.... now WHY didn't Craig think to put those on his subs?

:tease 1:
                John W.
                Indy

Comment

Typically the time alignment for pro vs. consumer loudspeakers would be much different as well.
                  I own pg 2 woohoo.
                  Some play hard to get, I play hard to want.

Comment

Originally posted by 20nickels
                    Typically the time alignment for pro vs. consumer loudspeakers would be much different as well.
                    I own pg 2 woohoo.
                    You might be surprised. Most speakers place the drivers pretty much on the same plane on a shared baffle board, with the tweeters voice coil ahead of any other driver's coils. Any time alignment needs to be addressed in the XO. Sometimes attempts to align the drivers using stepped baffles miss the mark, too. Group delay is one reason why I prefer a simplistic two driver speaker over the complexities of a 3 or more way speaker.

The set back of the compression driver in the Pro-10's horn throat and any alignment done in the XO may help with the time domain performance. It would be nice to see some group delay measurements sometime. The big news here is the constant directivity and the high sensitivity. :yes:

Comment

The big news here is the constant directivity and the high sensitivity.
                      Along with the optional wheels and handles of course.... :yes:
                      John W.
                      Indy

Comment

Originally posted by quadman
                        Handles and wheels on speakers for my house ... :group:

Comment

Originally posted by quadman
                          ...with water/weatherproofing for outdoor use -- where you can really use high sensitivity speakers!
                          :poke:

Mike
                          HT Gear (AVS Link)
                          Rk: MA WR-37-32
                          Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
                          Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
                          Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
                          Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
                          BR: Oppo BDP-103
                          Gm: 360 Pro
                          LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
                          S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
                          Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
                          Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
                          Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
                          TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_TX
                            ...with water/weatherproofing for outdoor use -- where you can really use high sensitivity speakers!
                            :poke:

Mike
                            I expect this type of stuff from the Quadman(:p) You are usually more helpful :fryingpan:.

Comment

Originally posted by django1
                              I expect this type of stuff from the Quadman(:p) You are usually more helpful :fryingpan:.
                              LOL.

Just trying to do a little instigating.
                              :stirthepot::eyebrows:

Mike
                              HT Gear (AVS Link)
                              Rk: MA WR-37-32
                              Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
                              Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
                              Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
                              Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
                              BR: Oppo BDP-103
                              Gm: 360 Pro
                              LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
                              S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
                              Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
                              Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
                              Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
                              TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

Comment

Working...
                              X