Angel City Audio's Trinity speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel City Audio's Trinity speakers

I guess I'm one of the first people to hear the new LCR speakers from Angel City Audio. Got a chance to hear them at Sandbagger's today. Before I go into the details, it's worth explaining my familiarity w/ the Ref line, since these speakers share a lot in common w/ the Ref 3's (e.g. the drivers). I own a pair of Ninja-modded Ref 1.5's that I've used w/ ERT's. Rather like the sound of those (though currently they reside at a friend's house). I've also heard the Ref 3's at a GTG, and had liked them. Had felt that they were on par w/ the Mini's. And before I listened to the LCR's, I listened to Kevin's stock Ref 2's, which were pretty nice.

So, the main point is that I'm familiar w/ the sound of the Ref's and had an idea in my head what I was expected before I heard the LCR's. My idea turned out to be both right and wrong. The Refs, when done well, can sound very musical and be sonically engaging. These elements were definitely there w/ the LCR's. But I hadn't expected the level of detail, density and breadth of the soundstage, and the dynamics. The 2 things I care about the most are the width/depth of the soundstage and getting the details of the music right. Probably comes from listening to a lot of electronic music. Anyway, with whatever tracks (jazz and electronic) I tossed at the speakers (please note that they were in 2.0 at this point), they did a very admirable job. Heard all sorts of details and spacial info that other speakers miss. But, what I really wasn't prepared for was the dynamics. While the detail and soundstage were beyond what I'd expected from Ref type speakers, I do not think of the Refs as being dynamic speakers. And yet, w/ these, the sound flew out of the speakers. Very, very nice effect, especially when we switched to 5.1 (w/ the Turbo MWF). And, of course, when we went to 5.1, there was a nice integration between the left, right, and center channels, since they are very similar.

So, my overall impression is that Angel City has some winners on their hands. Couldn't find fault w/ them sonically. Couple of things of note. First, the bass appears to roll off somewhere in the 30-40Hz range. So, for HT and bassier music (like what I listen to) a sub is helpful. For other types of music, could live easily w/o a sub. Second, the Left and Right are meant to be put on stands. Personally, I'm not a big fan of large speakers on stands, and this is one of the few cases where even if I tried to convince my wife that I needed to buy these speakers, she would veto them. Not sure how feasible a tower version would be, but would be preferable IMO. Third, I have no idea what the price is, so I can't say if these are a good value or not.
    So say we all.

Thanks for the write up !

Comment

Emac,

Thanks for your review.

They'll be competitively priced.

I'm also thinking about special introductory pricing for the first few pairs/sets.

Thanks again,
      Hugh
      MELODY US Distributor
      www.angelcityaudio.com

A man is only as good as his words.

Comment

Thanks for the nice review. I can't wait for my turns with those speakers.
        PhenomeNhan Audio Video

Your authorized ONIX dealer for the Great States of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.!
        [email protected]

Comment

Also, this is just half of the equation. ;)

I hope to have the full setup by RMAF. :)
          Hugh
          MELODY US Distributor
          www.angelcityaudio.com

A man is only as good as his words.

Comment

Emac,

Thanks. Can I ask what amp these were powered with?

One thing I've learned with my Ref 3s is they really like current (amps). Many people often comment on what sub I have when first listening to them and I have to tell them the sub s not on. If these share a similar XO as the DR/Ninja's that I built, my first thought when reading your comment about the low end was "not enough power".

Comment

Thanks for the review, Emac. I haven't heard these yet, so I really am that much on pins and needles to know what everybody thinks. :) It's interesting that some of your observations mirrored Sean's with regards to the dynamics. I'm not sure what it is about those 7" drivers as opposed to the 6" ones in the old Ref 1/2/100 speakers, but it sounds like the characteristic effortlessness of the Ref 3's carried over here, albeit with a little less bass extension.

Oh and Hugh, how long did you have the final XO's in these before sending them to Sean for NoRez? Are they even broken in yet? He only put a couple of hours on them.

Originally posted by TooManyToys
              Emac,

One thing I've learned with my Ref 3s is they really like current (amps). Many people often comment on what sub I have when first listening to them and I have to tell them the sub s not on. If these share a similar XO as the DR/Ninja's that I built, my first thought when reading your comment about the low end was "not enough power".
              Last I knew Kevin had Parasound Halo gear in his HT, although in 2-channel listening I'd assume he was using the Onix XIA-160. I would expect the rolloff to be slightly higher than the Ref 3's due to the nearly 25% smaller cabinet volume. (for the L/R models) If the Ref 3 goes to 28hz, then it seems reasonable that these would be in the mid 30's. I'll be looking forward to the measurements to see for sure.

When I have them, I'll find out how my Yamaha RX-V663 stands up to them. Maybe somebody can bring out an XPA-3/5 or something in case it just can't hack it.
              Angel City Audio
              East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

I was actually just reading what little I could find on these speakers earlier today and they sound like they will be great!

Originally posted by Hugh
                Emac,

Thanks for your review.

They'll be competitively priced.

I'm also thinking about special introductory pricing for the first few pairs/sets.

Thanks again,
                Where about do yu see the pricing ending up?

Comment

Thanks Ed. "thumbsup:
                  I am scheduled to have these for a week due to the graciousness of Hugh (we live close by) and am curious how my impressions will compare to yours (Emac and I have similar tastes in speakers). :yes:

Comment

Emac,

Honestly, Kevin would have to chime in about the model amp he's using. The low end is pretty good for these speakers, but they do not go down into the 20Hz range. And w/ some of the drum & bass I listen to, I notice when the bass doesn't dip down all the way. I guess I'm spoiled because I have Kevin's Big Block upgrade for my UFW which powers my room into the teens.
                    So say we all.

Comment

Originally posted by dvenardos
                      Thanks Ed. "thumbsup:
                      I am scheduled to have these for a week due to the graciousness of Hugh (we live close by) and am curious how my impressions will compare to yours (Emac and I have similar tastes in speakers). :yes:
                      You'll enjoy the LCR's. They are more dynamic than my Mini's and O-3's. More similar dynamically to my Dali Mentor Menuets (though he Menuets excel w/ microdynamics and the LCR's w/ macrodynamics). The LCRs would be perfect if I had a dedicated HT.

I would also love it if someone could compare the LCR's to the N3's. Comparing the LCR's to my O-3's is somewhat like comparing apples and oranges. Both good apples and oranges mind you, but not all that helpful either.
                      So say we all.

Comment

OK Emac,

Both you and Woofersus brought up good points. About the only comment I can make is that with the Ref 3 I did notice that the JC-1's are more authoritative in the lower end then with the Halo A21 (135 amps vs 60 amps peak per channel). The other day I was listening to 'Tribal Boat' by Keiko Matsui again and it is interesting to watch the extension of the lower woofers and feel the vibration of the room.

Any album recommendations for what you are listening to Emac?

Comment

OK Emac,

Both you and Woofersus brought up good points. About the only comment I can make is that with the Ref 3 I did notice that the JC-1's are more authoritative in the lower end then with the Halo A21 (135 amps vs 60 amps peak per channel). The other day I was listening to 'Tribal Boat' by Keiko Matsui again and it is interesting to watch the extension of the lower woofers and feel the vibration of the room.

Any album recommendations for what you are listening to Emac?
                          The Refs can certainly add some vibration, especially when paired w/ a good amp, and so can the LCR's. But they can't shake things up or go as deeply as Kevin's subs.

As for what I was listening to, got a couple of recs:
                          1. Thunderball: Scorpio Rising (funky drum n bass and downtempo)
                          2. Bop: Clear Your Mind (glitchy drum n bass, but with a lot of sharp sounds that are good for demoing equipment)
                          3. Pendulum: Hold Your Colour (slamming drum n bass, good to the "Slam" factor as Kevin will attest)
                          So say we all.

Comment

Thanks Emac.

Comment

Just got home with the LCR's. I'll wait a bit to formulate opinions, but it was clear that these are VERY solid cabinets. They weigh a ton!
                              Angel City Audio
                              East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

Working...
                              X