Need AM Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need AM Help

I have an Onkyo 707 I am setting up in my Fathers listening room and 805 and am having trouble getting AM stations to come through with the supplied antenna. I am trying to gather some information on AM antennas. Anyone point me in the right direction. I have heard in the past that TERK makes some pretty solid products and have read some reviews on Amazon, but would like some personal opinions from members of this board.

So what do you have that works and what have you tried that is garbage.

I live in Cincinnati so on most radios in the house reception is pretty easy.

Thanks.

Bump, anyone use an external antenna beyond the one that came with your receiver? Or have any other tricks to get good AM Reception from your Onkyo Receiver?

Comment

Originally posted by dsully444
      Bump, anyone use an external antenna beyond the one that came with your receiver? Or have any other tricks to get good AM Reception from your Onkyo Receiver?
      Long ago I had a dipole antenna hooked up outside that plugged into a SW radio.
      Does a dipole help with AM?
      Would that be possible in your setup?

Mike
      HT Gear (AVS Link)
      Rk: MA WR-37-32
      Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
      Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
      Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
      Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
      BR: Oppo BDP-103
      Gm: 360 Pro
      LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
      S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
      Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
      Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
      Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
      TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

Comment

Found this article:
        http://www.ccrane.com/library/am-rec....08.25.03.aspx

Comment

I ended up getting the Terk Tower amplified AM/FM antenna and it works significantly better than the supplied antenna or even a 10 foot piece of cheap speaker wire, which by the way worked better than the onkyo antenna. The antenna gets a strong enough signal sitting behind the cabinet and out of view. Once the 10.2 is available, the antenna will be placed above the 10.2 in the corner near a window and I expect reception to improve even more. For $37 including tax, not a bad price to pay for being able to listen to the REDs games without that awfull buzzing. I would recommend anyone try it, if it doesn't work you could just take it back to Bestbuy.

Comment

Working...
          X