Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need ideas for a receiver upgrade, please!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need ideas for a receiver upgrade, please!

    I posted this over at av123 but know some of you guys don't go there anymore...
    ____________________________________________

    Long story short-- My current receiver does not have discrete analog inputs, nor does it decode DTS. So all my hopes and dreams to enjoy an upgrade to bluray have been shot-- at least for any DTS-based bluray discs such as The Princess Bride (and likely countless others). So, now I dunno WHAT to do .. I may just have to postpone the bluray upgrade for a few years until I can do that AND a receiver upgrade. I may just try and convince my wife that it's worth digging into savings. But I don't want a "cheapy" upgrade. I have Marantz receiver now.. a bit higher cost, but I've been a Marantz fan for many years. I would love to move to separates, but that would likely cost more..

    So I let the floodgates open... I am all ears...

    And no, I have no budget at this point. (hahaha, that does NOT mean "cost no object") Just looking for ideas...

    a bit deflated now,
    ..dane
    (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
    "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
    d&k's webpage

  • #2
    Hi Dane,

    I have a Marantz SR6003. Unfortunately I cannot comment on it's performance since it has been in the box since I bought it last year:crying:

    I've had Marantz in the past, as well as Denon and Onkyo. The Denon and Onkyo were nice, and the Marantz was a Pro-Logic unit only, no digital, so I cannot compare apples to apples. I'd say stick with what you like because you will most likely be hard pressed to tell any real differences between brands, keeping things in the same price range anyway.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by EddyZ
      Hi Dane,

      I have a Marantz SR6003. Unfortunately I cannot comment on it's performance since it has been in the box since I bought it last year:crying:

      I've had Marantz in the past, as well as Denon and Onkyo. The Denon and Onkyo were nice, and the Marantz was a Pro-Logic unit only, no digital, so I cannot compare apples to apples. I'd say stick with what you like because you will most likely be hard pressed to tell any real differences between brands, keeping things in the same price range anyway.
      thanks Eddy... I'm currently looking on the Accessories4Less.com site at what Marantz they have ... :)

      ..dane
      (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
      "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
      "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
      d&k's webpage

      Comment


      • #4
        If anyone has any recommendations for a multi-channel integrated amplifier, I'd be interested. Since I have a VP30 now for SD processing (with HD pass-through), I don't need an AV receiver anymore.. And if the bluray player has analog outs (as the Oppo BDP-80 does) then I could just go analog integrated amplifier for sound... if there are any multichannel units out there in an affordable price range...

        ..dane
        (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
        "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
        "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
        d&k's webpage

        Comment


        • #5
          The best bargain receiver I know of is the Pioneer 919. It doesn't have amp outs, but when used within it's wattage...absolutely fantastic sound quality and all of the new formats.

          You could probably re-sell it for a large portion of what you paid should you want to upgrade whenever you want to go further.

          As I usually mention...if 100 watts from a receiver isn't enough, perhaps consider mains that are more sensitive...as external amps get costly and don't add as much to overall SQ as would better speakers. Whatever you have invested in analog cables could be sold off to invest in a bluray player and HDMI cable (which can be had for nearly nothing). HDMI simplicity alone is worth the upgrade.
          "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

          -Bill Watterson

          Comment


          • #6
            can't seem to find any hits for "panasonic 919" .. can you give a more complete model number?

            thanks,
            ..dane
            (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
            "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
            "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
            d&k's webpage

            Comment


            • #7
              I guess I'm confused as to why you'd need analog inputs since most bluray players either decode the HD audio and send it on to the receiver, or some can bitstream the signal now.

              We've been using a PS3 for over 2 years now solely connected to an Onkyo 805 via hdmi. Surround works fine. Admittedly I haven't been keeping up quite as much on the receiver front since we purchased the 805 though, so I'm likely speaking from an uninformed position.
              Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dane
                can't seem to find any hits for "panasonic 919" .. can you give a more complete model number?

                thanks,
                ..dane
                WHOOPS...meant Pioneer 919 :whistle:

                http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-91...8789205&sr=8-1

                (it can be had around $350 I believe if you look around)
                "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

                -Bill Watterson

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jason
                  I guess I'm confused as to why you'd need analog inputs since most bluray players either decode the HD audio and send it on to the receiver, or some can bitstream the signal now.

                  We've been using a PS3 for over 2 years now solely connected to an Onkyo 805 via hdmi. Surround works fine. Admittedly I haven't been keeping up quite as much on the receiver front since we purchased the 805 though, so I'm likely speaking from an uninformed position.
                  Well, the way I understand it, either my receiver has to decode the DTS core bitstream track (for bluray's that do not have a dolby-digital track), or it has to accept analog inputs. neither of which my receiver can do. :(

                  I guess another question is how many blurays are ONLY dts-based without a DD track? if not many, I may not be off too badly.. but I was looking forward to the Princess Bride on bluray..

                  Originally posted by Cujobob
                  WHOOPS...meant Pioneer 919 :whistle:

                  http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-91...8789205&sr=8-1

                  (it can be had around $350 I believe if you look around)
                  hahaha.. thanks, will take a look. There are some Marantz's that can be had under the $500 mark from accessories4less.com.... I just don't know how their sound quality would compare with my $1200+ Marantz from the mid 90's ... In some ways (newer) I would expect better, but in other ways (lower cost) I would be concerned worse.

                  ..dane
                  (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
                  "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
                  "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
                  d&k's webpage

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    With no budget in mind, see if you can pick up one of the Pioneer SC line AVR's (sc-05/SC-07 replaced by SC-25/SC-27 but very similar). These were being blown out at Best Buy's magnolia stores a month or so ago for less than $1k and pop up used on A-Gon from time to time with prices below that. Theya re great sounding AVR's, well built and offer an alternative room correction system to Audyssey that some prefer.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'd probably go the route of finding a decent reciever from a pre/pro perspective that has 7.1 analog outputs then save up for a UPA-5 or something. That way you can get the benefits of separates but without quite the same up-front expenditure.
                      Angel City Audio
                      East Street Audio

                      ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by woofersus
                        I'd probably go the route of finding a decent reciever from a pre/pro perspective that has 7.1 analog outputs then save up for a UPA-5 or something. That way you can get the benefits of separates but without quite the same up-front expenditure.
                        I actually wonder if I could just find a 5ch integrated amplifier? I don't need any video processing... But agree, I don't have a budget, but that's simply because I don't know how much I'm willing to take out of savings for something like this yet...

                        ..dane
                        (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
                        "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
                        "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
                        d&k's webpage

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Dane, the last Marantz receiver I had listed at $1,100, and did not sound as good as the Denon or Onkyo. I attribute that to it's dated lack of bass management and no digital capabilities. The Denon was $350, and the Onkyo about the same as refurbs from ecost. The Marantz SR6003 I have listed at $900 I think, but got it from Accessories4less refurbed for less than $700.

                          Don't judge by price being at least 10 years older of a Marantz. Technology usually gets less expensive for similar performance of only a few years ago.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What kind of bass management do you need? If it can be handled by the Oppo BDP-83 then you are going to have a straight pass-thru from the analog inputs, but if you need additional bass management the the quality of the ADA conversion on the analog inputs is important.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by EddyZ
                              Dane, the last Marantz receiver I had listed at $1,100, and did not sound as good as the Denon or Onkyo. I attribute that to it's dated lack of bass management and no digital capabilities. The Denon was $350, and the Onkyo about the same as refurbs from ecost. The Marantz SR6003 I have listed at $900 I think, but got it from Accessories4less refurbed for less than $700.

                              Don't judge by price being at least 10 years older of a Marantz. Technology usually gets less expensive for similar performance of only a few years ago.
                              Thanks for that reply, Eddy...

                              I'm looking at the SR5004 at the same site right now.. attractive price, includes the current codecs, but also includes discrete ins AND outs for future stuff...

                              Spoke to wife a few moments ago, who could tell pretty quickly that I sounded bumed.. she was not totally against a little 'splurge' out of savings.. after all, the entire rest of the HT re-do came in UNDER budget... just not by THAT much... :)

                              Will have to go do some checking of the finances tonight... :)

                              ..dane
                              (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
                              "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
                              "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
                              d&k's webpage

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X