Help with HD recording to computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with HD recording to computer

I posted this over on AV123 but know somem of you dont go over there anymore. If you can offer any imput to this I would appriciate it.

I have a guy that asked me to set his system up like this...

HD signal, DVR box (not sure if it is HD or not. Will find out more this week)

He wants to take the HD signal and run it to the computer to record by. He also wants to run a S-vid to the computer from the DVR. His goal is to make a Media Library. Use a tuner card or whatever it needs to be to record on the computer and to copy the DVR to the compuer..and then turn around and burn it to dvd or blu-ray.

We just talked about this breifly but before I get to involved in figureing it out I want to know what it will take. What kind of hardware do you guys suggest? Money is really not an issue with this guy. This is on a PC and not a Mac. Right now he has Vista but may look at upgrading to windows 7 right away.

Point me in the right direction. Give me some hardware options that will give good quality. Software? I think Nero should work to burn the stuff to DVD once its on the computer.

Youw would think that me being an IT guy I would know how to do this. I suppose I can figure it out..but I know there are some of you that do this all the time so getting good recommendations for the hardware and stuff is better for me. He is is going to go through with this, I will propably have to start on it next week. Work on it in my spare time.

So..Whats out there that I need to look at?

Thanks for all the help
    Dusty

Originally posted by Dustyk
    I posted this over on AV123 but know somem of you dont go over there anymore. If you can offer any imput to this I would appriciate it.

I have a guy that asked me to set his system up like this...

HD signal, DVR box (not sure if it is HD or not. Will find out more this week)

He wants to take the HD signal and run it to the computer to record by. He also wants to run a S-vid to the computer from the DVR. His goal is to make a Media Library. Use a tuner card or whatever it needs to be to record on the computer and to copy the DVR to the compuer..and then turn around and burn it to dvd or blu-ray.

We just talked about this breifly but before I get to involved in figureing it out I want to know what it will take. What kind of hardware do you guys suggest? Money is really not an issue with this guy. This is on a PC and not a Mac. Right now he has Vista but may look at upgrading to windows 7 right away.

Point me in the right direction. Give me some hardware options that will give good quality. Software? I think Nero should work to burn the stuff to DVD once its on the computer.

Youw would think that me being an IT guy I would know how to do this. I suppose I can figure it out..but I know there are some of you that do this all the time so getting good recommendations for the hardware and stuff is better for me. He is is going to go through with this, I will propably have to start on it next week. Work on it in my spare time.

So..Whats out there that I need to look at?

Thanks for all the help
    Dusty
    So he wants to be able to recordf OTA HD?

He wants to be able to save these files and convert them to DVD etc?

Not 100% sure what your aiming for?

Example of my setup:

TIVO HD box - I don't use this with a cable card just straight OTA HD channels. But you can send the recorded shows from the TV to a PC on the network and then rip out the commercials and either send those HD files back to the TIVO or rip them to DVD in the correct format to play back on your DVD player.

Comment

Check out MythTV and Freevo (I believe both offer HD recording on a computer). I have a throw away computer I loaded Ubuntu Linux onto and gave it a whirl last summer. It was a PITA but worked fine. If I had really been trying, it would have been outstanding but I didn't want to upgrade the video card (mostly that would involve a new power supply and suddenly free was expensive). Just Google MythTV and Freevo...
      Tweak City Audio WAF-1, Paradigm PS1000, Jolida FX-10 tube amp, Samsung Blu-ray, Beresford TC-7520 DAC, Apple Airport Express (living room)

Hawthorne Audio 101515 OB Trio DIY speakers, DIY Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 amp, DIY 6CL6 SPUD amp, Rythmik 370 OB Plate Amps (in stereo), Beresford TC-7520 DAC, Macbook Pro/iTunes & Decibel FLAC player for Mac, Sony S370 Blu-ray (listening room)

Other stuff: Usher S-520, JohnBlue JB-3, MiniWatt, Glow Amp One, Nuforce Icon Mobile, Sennheiser HD595

Comment

Working...
      X