Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HRT Music Streamer DAC with Gizmo - voltage issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRT Music Streamer DAC with Gizmo - voltage issues?

Well, I figured I'd give a shot at starting a new thread, since my previous posts about this issue weren't addressed.
    http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/...?t=1935&page=3

The Music Streamer DAC has a 2.25V RMS output. Gizmo has a 3.0V input limit, but I have no idea whether this is RMS or max input.

So I'm hoping someone from TCA can answer this - Can the Gizmo accept 2.25V RMS input without having distortion problems from over-driving the input???

Or is the 3.0V a max input, in which case 2.25V RMS is too high and will cause distortion problems with Gizmo???

Thanks in advance.

:scratchchin: ???????????

Comment

It seems like Doug Goldberg is going to be the only one that can answer this.

Comment

Originally posted by dvenardos
        It seems like Doug Goldberg is going to be the only one that can answer this.
        Unfortunately, I think you're right.

I'm not trying to :stirthepot: here... but I feel like this falls within the realm of a technical support question, and someone should be able to answer this. I'm not the only one who has asked for specifics about the input voltage...and I've asked on several occasions now...but the questions are still not addressed.

If the input voltage limit is a known issue, then it would be very helpful for us to know EXACTLY what that limit is, since it dictates what we connect upstream of the Gizmo.

Comment

Originally posted by alphaiii
          Unfortunately, I think you're right.

I'm not trying to :stirthepot: here... but I feel like this falls within the realm of a technical support question, and someone should be able to answer this. I'm not the only one who has asked for specifics about the input voltage...and I've asked on several occasions now...but the questions are still not addressed.

If the input voltage limit is a known issue, then it would be very helpful for us to know EXACTLY what that limit is, since it dictates what we connect upstream of the Gizmo.
          alphaiii -

Can you expand on that (bolded) more?
          :scratchchin:
          I'm a DAC newby...

Thanks.

Mike
          HT Gear (AVS Link)
          Rk: MA WR-37-32
          Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
          Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
          Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
          Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
          BR: Oppo BDP-103
          Gm: 360 Pro
          LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
          S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
          Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
          Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
          Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
          TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_TX
            alphaiii -

Can you expand on that (bolded) more?
            :scratchchin:
            I'm a DAC newby...

Thanks.

Mike
            It seems that the Gizmo has an RCA input voltage limit of 3.0V, but this could either be 3.0V RMS or 3.0V peak-to-peak max.

Using a device upstream of Gizmo with great that 3.0V output (either RMS or max, depending on what the limit with the Gizmo is) apparently causes distortion problems.

So one would want any upstream device to have an output voltage less than that of the input limit of the Gizmo, OR, have an adjustable output (for example, using the PC as a source - just turn the PC's volume down and the issue is avoided).

A USB DAC like the Music Streamer has a fixed 2.25V RMS output... This is why it's important to know if the 3.0V input of the Gizmo is RMS or max. If it is 3.0V peak-to-peak max input, which I was told works out to about 1.06V RMS...then the Music Streamer wouldn't be a good choice, as it puts out 2.25V RMS, which would over-drive the input and cause distortion.

Comment

Thanks.
              Very helpful explanation.
              I was considering a DAC for my Gizmo setup (or another), so I'll watch with interest.

Mike
              HT Gear (AVS Link)
              Rk: MA WR-37-32
              Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
              Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
              Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
              Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
              BR: Oppo BDP-103
              Gm: 360 Pro
              LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
              S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
              Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
              Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
              Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
              TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

Comment

FWIW, I had issues driving the Gizmo with several line-level inputs:

- Toshiba SD-4000 DVD
                - Shanling PCD3000A
                - Pioneer DV-47a

The Shanling's outputs are variable, though, and reach "line level" at full volume. It drove the Gizmo VERY well as I turned the volume down, and used Gizmo as a power amp. The sound was great together.

I had tried some RCA attenuators, I think 6db versions, didn't help.

I don't know the output voltages on the 3 players, but I can't imagine all of them are beyond a semi-standard 2V....

I use one Gizmo now off and on in a secondary system, driven by a passive pre. Interestingly, the pre has outputs I can use for my sub, but it seems to work better driven out of the Gizmo than the passive pre (maybe it doesn't like the long cable lengths; wonder if the Gizmo output is buffered in any way).
                What if the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about?!

Kinky Tom!

Comment

Originally posted by skullguise
                  wonder if the Gizmo output is buffered in any way).
                  It is :thumbsup:

Comment

Working...
                  X