my Theater/mancave. with pics and ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my Theater/mancave. with pics and ?'s

i had placed the outlet and HDMI port on the screen wall. because i was unsure which display route to go. on a recent trip to dwayland's place i saw he had both in his main room. which made sense because during the day it brighter and sometime you might not want to watch the big screen. so ive decided to do both as well.

my question is:
    whats a good unit to go with in 32"-42" range?

theres a lot of stuff out now with some good prices, im looking to stay under 650$ shipped. mainly because i dont want to get a crazy tv just to cover it with a retractable screen. i have a Samsung 52" 750 upstairs and love it but again that was 2600$.

should i worry about the 1080p vs 720p issue since its not my main tv?
    plasma or LCD ?

Comment

Originally posted by Carlp336
      i had placed the outlet and HDMI port on the screen wall. because i was unsure which display route to go. on a recent trip to dwayland's place i saw he had both in his main room. which made sense because during the day it brighter and sometime you might not want to watch the big screen. so ive decided to do both as well.

my question is:
      whats a good unit to go with in 32"-42" range?

theres a lot of stuff out now with some good prices, im looking to stay under 650$ shipped. mainly because i dont want to get a crazy tv just to cover it with a retractable screen. i have a Samsung 52" 750 upstairs and love it but again that was 2600$.

should i worry about the 1080p vs 720p issue since its not my main tv?
      plasma or LCD ?

One quick note:

From what I understand and can see on my own displays... You can barely tell the differance between 1080p and 720p. Somtimes even 1080i can visually look better too.

Personally, if it were me, I would go w/720p LCD. Especially if your viewing distance is over 12 feet away and save some $$$.

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dwayland
        One quick note:

From what I understand and can see on my own displays... You can barely tell the differance between 1080p and 720p. Somtimes even 1080i can visually look better too.

Personally, if it were me, I would go w/720p LCD. Especially if your viewing distance is over 12 feet away and save some $$$.

Derek
        well dell has the Panasonic 42" TC-P42X1 720p Plasma TV for 550 shipped until the 21st. thinking about picking it up. ive never had a plasma though.

Comment

I've not seen the latest LCDs, but last year when I was looking, plasmas were still far superior to LCDs in overall PQ. I'd check with Costco for tvs....good warranty and usually good prices. As for the 720 v 1080 ....depends on how much extra you're paying.
          "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

-Bill Watterson

Comment

If all you are going to do is 32" at that distance you might as well go 720p. If you do big then you'll want 1080. You might want to drag the 52" into the room if you feel comfortable moving it around and see how it feels the space. You may find the 42" a bit too small to be worth while. You'll also want to get the projector hooked up to see if you even need the tv at all. I'm thinking the 42" won't see much use. You also will want to treat those brick walls. That room looks like an acoustical nightmare.

Comment

It looks nice! Keep up the good work.

What was the room originally used for with 4 cinder block walls? I'd agree that you'll probably be wanting some acoustic treatment in there. You migh twant to experiemnt with a darker ceiling too - it really helps the contrast on the screen.

Comment

Nice refit.
                I agree with all of the comments on acoustical treatments and TV size/720p.

Mike
                HT Gear (AVS Link)
                Rk: MA WR-37-32
                Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
                Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
                Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
                Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
                BR: Oppo BDP-103
                Gm: 360 Pro
                LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
                S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
                Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
                Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
                Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
                TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

Comment

I have recently bought 2 toshiba LCD TV's and can tell you that they are very good and priced right. They do 720 and 1080p. I got a 30" for my bedroom and a 40" for my moms bedroom. They both are very good units and have preformed flawlessly.
                  Good luck and love the pics.
                  Oakie Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Oakie Mike
                    I have recently bought 2 toshiba LCD TV's and can tell you that they are very good and priced right. They do 720 and 1080p. I got a 30" for my bedroom and a 40" for my moms bedroom. They both are very good units and have preformed flawlessly.
                    Good luck and love the pics.
                    Oakie Mike
                    Funny...

I also bought two Tosh LCDs...

42" LCD Regza's
                    - Toshiba 42XV545U SRT 1080p LCD
                    - Toshiba 42XV540U 1080p LCD

The reviews I've seen on them don't rate them as well as Samsung, etc, but I am quite satisfied.
                    One is in the bar and one is in the gym room, so they aren't primary viewing sites.

Mike
                    HT Gear (AVS Link)

Comment

i went hte plasma route today.
                      ordered the Panasonic Viera 42" TC-P42X1
                      for 580$ shipped new from dell.com

for the price i couldnt find its equal.

Comment

Nice selection on the TV - now, what projector are you going with?

Comment

been thinking the JVC or one of the epson cinema 1080s. ive not seen either in action, just based on what ive heard of them.

Comment

new pics added.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlp336
                              new pics added.
                              Makes me want to get a foose table!

Mike
                              HT Gear (AVS Link)

Comment

Working...
                              X