Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 channel 400w/channel amp??

Opinions on the following?
    Read this at the news section at Emotiva.

New ‘Flagship’ Amplifier – A new, super-powered Class H amp is in development, to replace the MPS-2. This is tentatively named the XPR-7, and will feature 7 channels, with 400 watts per channel. No specific time frame for completion is set, but it is possible the amplifier will be released before year’s end.

with a normal house circuit rated at
    (20amps)(120 volts)=2400 watts
    that amp will be tripping C.B. if it approaches full power

that would be extreme.........

Comment

Originally posted by edward
      Opinions on the following?
      Read this at the news section at Emotiva.

New ‘Flagship’ Amplifier – A new, super-powered Class H amp is in development, to replace the MPS-2. This is tentatively named the XPR-7, and will feature 7 channels, with 400 watts per channel. No specific time frame for completion is set, but it is possible the amplifier will be released before year’s end.

with a normal house circuit rated at
      (20amps)(120 volts)=2400 watts
      that amp will be tripping C.B. if it approaches full power
      FWIK, rumors are it will have 2 power cords and require 2 dedicated circuits for full power. Not a big deal if you design your HT room beforehand. 240V would work to get the required current. I don't know for sure how their designing it.
      Lance
      _________
      Whatever

Comment

Originally posted by Lanceb1b
        FWIK, rumors are it will have 2 power cords and require 2 dedicated circuits for full power. Not a big deal if you design your HT room beforehand. 240V would work to get the required current. I don't know for sure how their designing it.
        Sounds crazy... This would be overkill for almost everyone's HT system. I have never listened to a system that could gain anything from this kind of power to the rears/surrounds.
        Time waits for no man.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
          Sounds crazy... This would be overkill for almost everyone's HT system. I have never listened to a system that could gain anything from this kind of power to the rears/surrounds.
          +1 One of those mine is bigger things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            Agree, 200-250 X7 WPC all channels driven is about it for premium stuff. The XPA-5 seems like a good amp, I have not seen a post yet that said "I need 200 watts more"

Oh "dvenardos" mine is bigger than yours. :poke:
            Lance
            _________
            Whatever

Comment

It's a halo product that will make people say "wow" but it will always be more of a niche item. For the balls-out large dedicated home theater it will be a handy way of getting all your power in one box and have it be premium power at that.

I think something more useful to the average joe (a big spending average joe) would be something that offered big power to the fronts and a bit less everywhere else, or would allow you to redistribute to some extent. Didn't Emotiva at one point do some sort of modular amp chassis? 400w modules for something like that would be cool. (along with the other modules of lower power amounts to put in it)
              Angel City Audio
              East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

Pity they are replacing the MPS-2. I always wanted one :(

Comment

Originally posted by madpoet
                  Pity they are replacing the MPS-2. I always wanted one :(
                  Now you'll be able to get them cheaper (used market) ... so it's a good thing! :)
                  (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
                  "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
                  "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
                  d&k's webpage

Comment

Outlaw sells a 300 watt x 7 amp that has two power cords and requires two separate 15 amp circuits to achieve full power.

Comment

so one will need to run 2 separate dedicated power lines to separate circuit breakers to run the Emotiva and/or the Outlaw.
                      could turn interesting :huge:

Comment

I've got 3 dedicated 20A lines to my home theater.
                        Wes Miaw, Neko Audio LLC
                        www.NekoAudio.com

Comment

4 here, myself. That's one of the benefits of starting a room from scratch to go along with the huge headaches of starting a room from scratch. Why did I do that, again? :crazy:

Comment

Jeez, I would just like an XPA-7.

Comment

Working...
                            X