Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone heard/have the Proceed AVP2+6?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone heard/have the Proceed AVP2+6?

    Hi everyone,


    I'm looking to for a big leap in SQ for use with my soon to be LS9's. I've been using an Onk 805 for all my processing needs, but I hear that pre/pros are the way to go for SQ. On further research, I've read that the Proceed AVP2+6 has serious SQ for the money.

    Does anyone have experience with this model or even heard one?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Jerrin
    Hi everyone,


    I'm looking to for a big leap in SQ for use with my soon to be LS9's. I've been using an Onk 805 for all my processing needs, but I hear that pre/pros are the way to go for SQ. On further research, I've read that the Proceed AVP2+6 has serious SQ for the money.

    Does anyone have experience with this model or even heard one?
    Never heard it myself, but Proceed has a superb pedigree. Pretty much a kissing cousin to the Levinson stuff from what I've heard.
    Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

    Comment


    • #3
      You also may want to consider a two-channel preamp with HT bypass. You can get a lot more two channel for your money that way.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dvenardos
        You also may want to consider a two-channel preamp with HT bypass. You can get a lot more two channel for your money that way.
        Oooh, yes.....thanks for reminding me.

        (shameless plug) There's a nice tube based 2 channel pre with HT bypass for sale in the classifieds
        Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

        Comment


        • #5
          I had an AVP2 (not sure what the +6 is, must have come after my model). The AVP2 was a great sounding pre, and a darn fine piece of engineering.

          But it was definite overkill for a 2-channel rig.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sparky14
            I had an AVP2 (not sure what the +6 is, must have come after my model). The AVP2 was a great sounding pre, and a darn fine piece of engineering.

            But it was definite overkill for a 2-channel rig.
            Thanks for your responses. :huge:

            Did you replace a piece of equipment when you purchased the Proceed? If so, can you remember the difference in sound quality it made? Was it profound, or more subtle? Also, what do you mean by overkill?

            The "+6" if I understand correctly, means that it was outfitted with the ability to handle analog 5.1 signals. Thus, it can be used for multichannel SACD/DVD-A, since it does not have HDMI. This is pretty important to me as I will be using the LS9's in a 7.1 setup... and I do so love my multichannel sound.

            Any more experiences out there?

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks SP but that thread is the one that got me started in the first place. :stirthepot:

              I agree that it sounds like the proceed does everything short of curing cancer. So, I was looking for more anecodotal evidence as to the quality of the proceed before I bought one unheard.

              Comment


              • #8
                This is my idea, paired with the new Oppo BD player, but I haven't completed it yet.
                http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/...read.php?t=545

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dvenardos
                  This is my idea, paired with the new Oppo BD player, but I haven't completed it yet.
                  http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/...read.php?t=545
                  I've been keeping any eye on this.

                  Any updates?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by persisting1
                    I've been keeping any eye on this.

                    Any updates?
                    I keep adding more projects and haven't laid out for all the parts yet. I have the case, wire, and rcas...
                    Also, was looking into adding an output buffer stage.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SlushPuppy
                      Did you see his Page 1 update on the NAD Master Series M-15? Sounds like a real winner:

                      NAD M15 Master Series (Used about $1500)

                      I got off on the wrong foot with this unit as the first one I had was clearly not performing as it should have. It was dark, lacking detail and uninvolving. It managed to stick in my head as every once in a while I'd wonder how a piece with such good components and sensible circuit design could have sounded so badly. I therefore in the last month picked up 2 more examples and I am happy to report that this is excellent kit and ever, EVER so close to being state of the art and in some areas it is the best I have heard.


                      Might be something else to consider if you can't find the Proceed for a reasonable price. NAD is coming out with an update sometime this year that will have HDMI. Not sure about any other changes. The updated NAD is the one I'm waiting for.

                      Edit: There are plenty of M15 reviews if you're looking for something professionally written about it.

                      Slush
                      Hrmmm..... Now this sounds interesting.... HDMI would make it a real winner if nothing else has been sacrificed. Thanks for the info, i've got to read more about this one....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jerrin
                        Thanks for your responses. :huge:

                        Did you replace a piece of equipment when you purchased the Proceed? If so, can you remember the difference in sound quality it made? Was it profound, or more subtle? Also, what do you mean by overkill?

                        The "+6" if I understand correctly, means that it was outfitted with the ability to handle analog 5.1 signals. Thus, it can be used for multichannel SACD/DVD-A, since it does not have HDMI. This is pretty important to me as I will be using the LS9's in a 7.1 setup... and I do so love my multichannel sound.

                        Any more experiences out there?
                        I picked up the Proceed at a garage sale, amazingly enough (you don't even want to hear how much it was). My mid-fi Music Hall system really wouldn't fully test the Proceed, so I couldn't get a good reading on how really good the AVP was, but I did some testing and it sounded great.

                        One of my buddies in the late 90s had an all Proceed 2-channel system, man what an impressive system.

                        As for overkill, the AVP has bells and whistles galore. A lot is unnecessary for 2 channel.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X