• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple TV

Anyone using an Apple TV as a music server? Thoughts? Thanks

Originally posted by uw69
    Anyone using an Apple TV as a music server? Thoughts? Thanks
    it works fine as a music server if your an itunes person. you can also run XBMC and boxee on it. The remote sucks just all depends what you want to do....

you can buy an airport express and have a music server for a lot less, just depends on how you want to do things....

Sean

Comment

I tried it out (model from last year), but in the end, I decided that it wasn't really worth it and got a PS3 instead. I bought Nullriver's Medialink ($20) and the PS3 ($320 in December) streams all my music, pictures, and videos, and has Blu-Ray.

It definitely works pretty seamlessly though if you use a Mac, and the interface is pretty much like front row. If simplicity in setup and use is what you want, then there you go =)

IMO, though, there are better options that are just as easy and more capable w/ more options like my PS3 setup (it also works with the Xbox 360 the same way).

Comment

Apple TV is the client like a squeezebox, the server is a mac or pc with iTunes. You guys got that right? :)

Comment

I have a PS3, Apple TV and a Tivo HD. I like the Apple TV a lot for music playback, but I'm fully tied into the apple ecosystem. If you are ok with that, then it is great, otherwise I'd stick with something like a squeezebox for music only.

Comment

Originally posted by intendedaccel
            I have a PS3, Apple TV and a Tivo HD. I like the Apple TV a lot for music playback, but I'm fully tied into the apple ecosystem. If you are ok with that, then it is great, otherwise I'd stick with something like a squeezebox for music only.
            I'm "all in" using iTunes and the Apple TV seems to be the only way to play purchased music files from iTunes. Is the sound quality of the Apple TV good?

If you use the HDMI out on the Apple TV to a HDMI 1.3 AVR are you using the AVR's DAC? Thanks

Comment

I'm "all in" using iTunes and the Apple TV seems to be the only way to play purchased music files from iTunes. Is the sound quality of the Apple TV good?
              Off-topic rant, but why is it that when other companies lock things down with DRM and the like, thye get endlessly ripped for it, but when Apple does crap like this everyon overlooks it? [/rant]

anyway, I have a co-worker with an Apple TV as well as a PS3 running Tversity. He likes both, but uses the apple TV for comtrolling his outdoor speakers since the Wifi iPhone can be used as a remote control.

Comment

If you use the HDMI out on the Apple TV to a HDMI 1.3 AVR are you using the AVR's DAC? Thanks
                Sound quality to me is good, but I don't really have proper gear in the rest of the chain to give it my gold stamp of approval. I'm using the optical out into my Denon AVR-1609 (hdmi switching only). Using the iphone for the remote is really slick.

My favorite thing is the HD movie/tv show purchases/rentals. Makes unbox on the tivo look stupid functionality wise, and has a great picture and sound.

Comment

Yes, you would be using the dac in the AVR. Also, you can use the optical out on the Apple TV into an external dac.

Comment

Working...
                  X