Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an AVR enough to drive something like the 700 series or L series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is an AVR enough to drive something like the 700 series or L series?

So, I have posted on here a lot. Trying to figure out what I want to up my sound game. I am currently using a Denon AVRS920W to drive my system in my 2288ft³(13x22x8) room, but I think I might want to upgrade to something else as I start getting nicer speakers (I have a lot of old hand me down polks and sony speakers and looking at getting possibly 700 series). I was considering something like a Denon ARV X4300H, which has a lot more power. How important are external amps with something like that though?

I mean, with something like an X4300H, would adding amps really make a big difference with something like the 700 series? I just don't know if most people here are using like, a dedicated processor with a bunch of amps to make it all sound amazing or something. Or if that is what is needed to really make somethign like the 700 series really sound great. Does that make sense?

Comment

I am not claiming to be a guru but will offer my opinion. I have a Denon 4300 I was using for part time HT and it worked well. Only recently I started upgrading my setup for a better HT experience.

You didn't say if you are setting up for music or home theater. For 2 channel music, your Denon/700 setup should sound wonderful.

I assume because you listed room volume it's at least doing HT part-time. If so, a Denon 4300 will distribute lower power over each channel as it drives more channels. For low distortion with 2 channels at full bandwidth, the 4300 might output 125W but significantly less driving 5, 7, or 9 channels. Of course many AVRs have an upgrade path with pre-amp and LFE outputs so no need to rule out the 4300.

For HT, I think the key is having good speakers, like the 700 series, and matching them with capable LFE input subs. That lets the powered subs do some heavy lifting by slightly easing the AVR's burden.

Comment

I'm also not at all a hardcore audiophile or HT enthusiast.
        For me, moving to separates was a night and day experience.
        Even budget conscience amps were relatively expensive, but I like the long term of less upgrading.
        I just went with Emotiva, and not their top line processor. Very happy with all of it.
        Under-powered speakers sound just wrong to me. :-)
        And, I had some nice "high power" receivers (HK, Pioneer Elite), but it didn't compare.
        Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Did you decide on which way you were going to go, myself owning the 753 and using an Emotiva XMC-1 and Outlaw 7000X amplifier I am really really enjoying this setup, I've owned receivers and they can't keep up with separates IMO, to each their own and some will say there is no difference but since my first amplifier purchase I am sold on separates, you can get a Outlaw Model 7000X amplifier$979 new from Outlaw and Emotiva sells the XMC-1 trade in units with upgraded 4K HDMI board for $1199 and sometimes you can find one from a private seller for even less, so for around $2000 or just a tad over, I'm not sure what a Denon 4300 costs but looks like the newer model the 4500 is $1200 US.

Comment

I think for now, I might just stick with the receiver route. I have seen a few Denon 4300h's go for around 600 on ebay. My first priority is to get better speakers though, the wife shot down the 700s for now so I will be checking out the A series. I guess my question now though, is with something like, say a 4300h, will that sound better if I use an external amp with it? If so, I might consider putting that on my list, slowly acquiring better gear.

Comment

How many channels do you want your system to eventually consist of? Like the 4300, a 3600 or 3700 could do the same but with newer electronics. I think of the receiver as 2 sections: 1) Gathering/processing the inputs and 2) Amplification of the signal. The quality of signal you feed it is important. These things can't turn something you find in a cow field into a pot of gold. The newer electronics tend to process input signals better than older models and typically have more bells and whistles. The amplifier portion has to cleanly amplify the signal. There are bench test reviews on line that show both the 3600/3700 have relatively good amps, however, the power supply has to feed not just the amp, but everything else in the box and the more channels you run, the more strain. If your just starting with an LCR, maybe a couple of surrounds, the AVR would probably be the best start. I started with a 3600 and got a Monolith 5x200 amp which feeds the 753/752 front stage. Once the 740s's arrive, they too can be fed from the Monolith and the 4 atmos speakers can stay with the AVR once they are installed. For us streaming most of our input, this works.

Comment

Working...
              X