Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1TB drive for $79

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1TB drive for $79

    Just as an FYI, Amazon has the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB drive on sale today for $79 shipped. Deal ends when they run out or at the end of today, whichever comes first.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

    Now go guild that htpc you always wanted. :rock:
    There's a fine line between gardening and Madness.
    -Cliff Clavin

  • #2
    sorry to thread dump, but the reviews on that drive aren't the most favorable. I'd put this in a place where you're ok with losing your data, and you just need a cheap drive with lots of storage. Or buy 2 and raid 1 it.

    By the way, bash.org had the best raid comment ever.

    What's the difference between Raid 0 and Raid 1?
    -Raid 0 is the amount of files you'll be able to recover if there's a problem. :D

    Geek humor...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gwilks98
      sorry to thread dump, but the reviews on that drive aren't the most favorable. I'd put this in a place where you're ok with losing your data, and you just need a cheap drive with lots of storage. Or buy 2 and raid 1 it.
      I had heard the early Seagate 1Ts had issues but that a firmware correction late least year fixed it. Was the bashing within the last 3 or 4 months?

      Comment


      • #4
        Correct, the firmware took care of it. They are a little noisy vs. other 1TB drives, but at $79 you can't go wrong.

        Two of the 4 1TB drives in my WHS box are these, and no probs after half a year of use.
        There's a fine line between gardening and Madness.
        -Cliff Clavin

        Comment


        • #5
          I have over 1 dozen of these in some raid servers. no issues....

          wish I could say the same for my 1.5TB's

          Sean

          Comment


          • #6
            Are there any good external sata enclosures for cheap? esata or usb, I don't have a preference. I know back in the day, Cypress and NEC used to be king for ide. I've got 3 current model external WD drives right now, and they are truly awful with my computer. I want some external sata enclosures, but I am wondering if there are any specific non-problematic chipsets to look for. I usually get geeky and dig through the info myself, but I figure I'd be lazy this time, and it would benefit others around here as well.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by etcarroll
              Correct, the firmware took care of it. They are a little noisy vs. other 1TB drives, but at $79 you can't go wrong.

              Two of the 4 1TB drives in my WHS box are these, and no probs after half a year of use.
              Good to know...I was just looking at the reviews. Any chance Amazon is selling off some of the earlier models?

              Comment


              • #8
                What about something like this and then throw it in a pc case of your choice or build your own case?
                http://www.newertech.com/products/usb2_adaptv2.php
                Originally posted by dweekie
                Are there any good external sata enclosures for cheap? esata or usb, I don't have a preference. I know back in the day, Cypress and NEC used to be king for ide. I've got 3 current model external WD drives right now, and they are truly awful with my computer. I want some external sata enclosures, but I am wondering if there are any specific non-problematic chipsets to look for. I usually get geeky and dig through the info myself, but I figure I'd be lazy this time, and it would benefit others around here as well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  ....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've got 2 4bay eSata enclosures I'm about to list for sale. They are good units.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by etcarroll
                      Just as an FYI, Amazon has the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB drive on sale today for $79 shipped. Deal ends when they run out or at the end of today, whichever comes first.

                      http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

                      Now go guild that htpc you always wanted. :rock:
                      Not that I need any more disk at the moment, but this was the best price I have seen on these so far. :)
                      Ref1,Ref100,RS850,450,RSC200 Sig,ELT525M,MFW-15,UFW10,AVR987/X-amps,LMC-1/LPA1,SB3,P-3A,PS3,HDA3, Gizmo v1.0, SP3 MK II.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X