1TB drive for $79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1TB drive for $79

Just as an FYI, Amazon has the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB drive on sale today for $79 shipped. Deal ends when they run out or at the end of today, whichever comes first.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Now go guild that htpc you always wanted. :rock:
    There's a fine line between gardening and Madness.
    -Cliff Clavin

sorry to thread dump, but the reviews on that drive aren't the most favorable. I'd put this in a place where you're ok with losing your data, and you just need a cheap drive with lots of storage. Or buy 2 and raid 1 it.

By the way, bash.org had the best raid comment ever.

What's the difference between Raid 0 and Raid 1?
    -Raid 0 is the amount of files you'll be able to recover if there's a problem. :D

Geek humor...

Comment

Originally posted by gwilks98
      sorry to thread dump, but the reviews on that drive aren't the most favorable. I'd put this in a place where you're ok with losing your data, and you just need a cheap drive with lots of storage. Or buy 2 and raid 1 it.
      I had heard the early Seagate 1Ts had issues but that a firmware correction late least year fixed it. Was the bashing within the last 3 or 4 months?

Comment

Correct, the firmware took care of it. They are a little noisy vs. other 1TB drives, but at $79 you can't go wrong.

Two of the 4 1TB drives in my WHS box are these, and no probs after half a year of use.
        There's a fine line between gardening and Madness.
        -Cliff Clavin

Comment

I have over 1 dozen of these in some raid servers. no issues....

wish I could say the same for my 1.5TB's

Sean

Comment

Are there any good external sata enclosures for cheap? esata or usb, I don't have a preference. I know back in the day, Cypress and NEC used to be king for ide. I've got 3 current model external WD drives right now, and they are truly awful with my computer. I want some external sata enclosures, but I am wondering if there are any specific non-problematic chipsets to look for. I usually get geeky and dig through the info myself, but I figure I'd be lazy this time, and it would benefit others around here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by etcarroll
              Correct, the firmware took care of it. They are a little noisy vs. other 1TB drives, but at $79 you can't go wrong.

Two of the 4 1TB drives in my WHS box are these, and no probs after half a year of use.
              Good to know...I was just looking at the reviews. Any chance Amazon is selling off some of the earlier models?

Comment

What about something like this and then throw it in a pc case of your choice or build your own case?
                http://www.newertech.com/products/usb2_adaptv2.php
                Originally posted by dweekie
                Are there any good external sata enclosures for cheap? esata or usb, I don't have a preference. I know back in the day, Cypress and NEC used to be king for ide. I've got 3 current model external WD drives right now, and they are truly awful with my computer. I want some external sata enclosures, but I am wondering if there are any specific non-problematic chipsets to look for. I usually get geeky and dig through the info myself, but I figure I'd be lazy this time, and it would benefit others around here as well.

Comment

Comment

I've got 2 4bay eSata enclosures I'm about to list for sale. They are good units.

Comment

Originally posted by etcarroll
                      Just as an FYI, Amazon has the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB drive on sale today for $79 shipped. Deal ends when they run out or at the end of today, whichever comes first.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Now go guild that htpc you always wanted. :rock:
                      Not that I need any more disk at the moment, but this was the best price I have seen on these so far. :)
                      Ref1,Ref100,RS850,450,RSC200 Sig,ELT525M,MFW-15,UFW10,AVR987/X-amps,LMC-1/LPA1,SB3,P-3A,PS3,HDA3, Gizmo v1.0, SP3 MK II.

Comment

Working...
                      X