Headphone amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphone amp

Looking to getting into a little headphone action for late night music needs. Really like the "tube" warmth and sound, but really looking for recommendations on any headphone amp under say $250? Thanks

I'd look at the various little dot varrient headphone amps... several options in your price range.

Check ebay ("shenzhen Audio store" ebay store had several)

Dave

Comment

I second the above.

I have a Little Dot MkIII. Great little tube amp, and David's customer service is top notch.

Comment

I have a Zero DAC, and love it as a DAC. It seems quite popular on Head-Fi as a headphone amp as well, though I haven't used it like that. No tubes, but the Op-Amps are all in sockets so they are very easy to swap/upgrade. Also no analog in - just Coax and Optical Digital.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...re-amp-269458/

I've also heard nothing but great things about the Little Dot stuff, but no personal experience.

Jim C

Comment

didn't you guys get the av123 advertisement in your email?? I guess it depends on how comfortable you feel doing business with them at this time.
          Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
            didn't you guys get the av123 advertisement in your email?? I guess it depends on how comfortable you feel doing business with them at this time.
            Yes, but I don't think anyone has actually "recommended" the x-head yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dvenardos
              Yes, but I don't think anyone has actually "recommended" the x-head yet.
              I guess that's kinda what I meant about feeling comfortable doing business there....
              Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Comment

What about this -

http://www.pacificvalve.us/ADGDST3.html

Comment

the little dot amps are pretty good and considered to be a good overall value for an entry level tube amp. For value it doesn't get any better than DIY. I can't recommend the the Millet Max or Millet MiniMax enough. You could build a basic Max for about $300 enclosure included. Most of the ones I build are more along $400+ in parts though. :D

I should also say that the revised x-head (I don't much like the name...) is a pretty decent little amp. I wouldn't choose it to pair with low impedance cans like Grados, but it's better for Senns or AKG's.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
                    Well... the OP said he preferred "tube warmth and sound"... hence steering to the Little Dot headphone Amps... several tube options there...

Comment

Originally posted by djdube525
                      Well... the OP said he preferred "tube warmth and sound"... hence steering to the Little Dot headphone Amps... several tube options there...
                      oops, sorry....dunno how I missed that. I was mainly stating it as it fit in his budget.

Comment

As another option... really depends on what you're planning on using it for...

But the Dared MP-5 is a neat little bugger... perfect for an office set up... usb dac, headphone amp, and also can drive some desktop speakers.

For the money, if you want just a headphone amp... I suspect there are better choices... but if you're looking for something to put in an office... something to drive some desktop speakers when you want... or headphones if you don't want to disturb anyone...

I *think* you can get it within your budget.

Comment

Originally posted by soloz2

I should also say that the revised x-head (I don't much like the name...) is a pretty decent little amp. I wouldn't choose it to pair with low impedance cans like Grados, but it's better for Senns or AKG's.
                          Really? Crap! That's my setup...

Comment

Originally posted by django1
                            Really? Crap! That's my setup...
                            the noise level is too high on the x-head, at least mine is, to really enjoy with Grados...

Comment

I've got my x-head all boxed up and ready to go but my life is like :tanks alot:...

Comment

Working...
                              X