Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you produce?

Originally posted by craigsub

Hey ... go start a thread about a future TCA product you want to see. I won't promise a date nor will I ask for money up front.
    OK, Craig, here are a couple of products I would love to see made:

1) A wireless adapter for sub's that works, preferably in a different freq range than every other wireless device in my house (IE: not 2.4 GHz) and is daisy chainable so I can use one adapter for two subs if they are near each other but no where near my equipment rack.

2) A sealed dual 15" or 18" passive subwoofer design with a veneer. That way I could buy a cheap pro-audio amp and have a nice sealed set up without having to go through all the hoops of building it myself, buying another black box or paying through the nose.

What else would you guys like to see and why?

PS: Craig, Ray: I didn't know where else to post this, if their is a better section please move the thread. Thank you.

I would like to see a more cost effective solution for by passing the ipod's built in dac than the Wadia 170i transport.

The Wadia 170i MSRP is $379.

Comment

This thread is terrific ... and in as good a sub-forum as any. :applause:

Comment

I would like to see a phono stage with MM/MC capability Tweak City Audio style.

Comment

An affordable, simple, outboard, 2-channel crossover.

AV123 was working on one back in '05. The official name was "Onix Subwoofer Interface Box" with a projected price of $99. Most times it was called a "Bass Box". Info with pics starts here.

Originally posted by Greg Marberry
          It is a simple unit that makes integrating a subwoofer in a two channel system very easy. If you're running an integrated amp (like an SP3, for example) that does not have a low level subwoofer output and you want to connect your subwoofer that only accepts a low level signal input (like the UFW-10), you can use this device to make it work. Basically, you connect your speaker outputs from the amp to the inputs on this box and then the speaker outputs on the box to your main speakers. The box also, then, has a low level signal output for the sub. Once it's all in place, you'll have a fully functional 2.1 ch system.
          "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones."

Comment

TCA audiophile home theater.
            If you are serious about two channel in your home theater your are looking at an Integra 9.9 or better, that is some serious coin. The paradigm of building the HT around the preprocessor is bad for the two channel lover. I think you aught to build the HT around the dvd player instead. The new $600 Oppo BD player looks like the optimum center piece for the HT instead of the $1,800+ Integra or better.

Oppo BD player ($600) - handles all decoding and outputs via analog
            TCA audiophile HT ($500) - 7.1 analog bass manager, volume control, and switch.
            (4) stereo analog inputs
            (2) 7.1 inputs
            (1) 7.1 output with analog bass management on all inputs
            DacMan ($279) - handles all digital sources

What you get:
            Great surround sound and cheaper upgrade price since it is only necessary to upgrade the dvd player.
            Awesome two channel performance that is untainted by av processor, has analog bass management, and doesn't change when the latest and greatest codecs come out and the dvd player needs to be upgraded.
            Great DAC for digital sources that doesn't change when dvd player upgraded.
            Sound can be tailored to personal taste with different dac.

Put that in your Integra that will need to be upgraded in five years and smoke it.

Comment

Some of us have sources other than DVD and BD ;) Like the 100+ hd dvds I have, the tons of VCR tapes my kids have, a pile of laserdiscs, HD Radio... oh, the list goes on and on. And the Integra handles them all beautifully. Only way I'd need to replace it is if they release yet another crazy sound format that the player can't decode on board.

Now on to suggestions... wireless bass module would be outstanding! I have the buttkicker LFE kit but it's pretty spotty. Speaking of shakers, how about your own transducers?

Comment

Originally posted by rsa

AV123 was working on one back in '05. The official name was "Onix Subwoofer Interface Box" with a projected price of $99. Most times it was called a "Bass Box". Info with pics starts here.
                +1 :clapper:
                As it turns out, I was never banned. I was wrong yet again. First Obama, now this. :)

Comment

Originally posted by uw69
                  I would like to see a more cost effective solution for by passing the ipod's built in dac than the Wadia 170i transport.

The Wadia 170i MSRP is $379.
                  +1

The would be perfect to pair up with the DAC-MAN!

Comment

I would also like to see an external crossover box to help with setting up a a great 2.1 or 2.2 music setup.
                    It would need to have a number of selectable crossover frequencies, subwoofer gain control, defeatable subsonic filter, an adjustable first octave boost control and ability to run 2 subs in stereo or mono. Basically a Swiss Army Knife for subwoofers.

Best.......Carlo.

Comment

Originally posted by rsa

+2 :clapper:

Comment

This may be too niche but here goes

Prefab IB manifolds (flat pack works too). I picture a 2 driver manifold that assumes 16" stud spacing.

I dont know of anyone that sells these and I am guessing they would be extremely easy for a proper shop to build. If they came painted black inside that would be icing on the cake.

Something like this picture (just the cabinet) would be awesome at like ~$150 shipped(?). To get fancy they could have modular replaceable panels like the parts express bookshelf enclsoures do for driver upgrades.

This product would move IB from strictly DIY toward turn key.

PS-Also on my list is 1)Single driver speaker 2)DAC and 3)Bang for buck sub all of which are covered already by the TCA gameplan. :)
                        Attached Files
                        My IB
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/steven.nock/IB

Comment

Originally posted by wesley63
                          +2 :clapper:
                          What does something like this do? Sorry for the NewBee question.

Comment

Originally posted by uw69
                            What does something like this do? Sorry for the NewBee question.
                            Its a crossover, so it would split the signal above and below a determined freq to split it between your mains and subwoofers...80 or 100hz for example. I'm guessing this was intended to be a passive high pass/low pass stereo crossover. If so, its not necessarily that elegant and might be an easy DIY or kit.

Comment

That would be usefull for use with my SP3. Thanks for the explaination.

Comment

Working...
                              X