Fantasy Baseball TCA Style.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Baseball TCA Style.....

Well, it's about that time of year again. Hot stove leagues are all done, spring training is or about to get under way, the snap of fastballs hitting catcher's gloves and the crack of bats launching balls over the fence is in the air. Yes my friends, spring is almost here. It's a time of optimism where last years aging vet has his swagger back, a can't miss rookie is tearing up practice and turning heads. Optimism runs rampant that THIS years team can go all the way.

Which is exactly where I am right about this time of year. Completely positive that THIS year, I'm gonna win it all rather than languish at or near the bottom of the standings as my guys under achieve yet again. No, this year, I'm going to guess right on all my pitchers. My starters are all going to win 20 games and my relievers are going to be save and strikeout deamons. My position players are all going to hit .300, have power and drive in plenty of runs. And yes, THIS year.... I'm actually going to find someone who steals some bases.

So, if any of you have the gumption to take me on, I've formed what I hope to be an official right of summer for all TCA regulars. The first ever TCA Fantasy Baseball league. We are set up for 10 teams in a head to head style of competition. Six of the ten teams will make a three week play off at the end of the season. For you fantasy baseball regulars, I've made a couple of changes in the Yahoo default settings and scoring.

We will have a live draft on Saturday March 28th at 10:00 PM EST. The roster size is 20 broken down as follows.... C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Utl, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN. Scoring will be in a 6x6 format with position players scoring consisting of R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG and OPS (a combination of on base and slugging percentage) and the pitchers scoring broken down in W, SV, K, HLD (a relief pitcher coming in and holding a lead), ERA and WHIP (walks and hits allowed per inning pitched).

I've made a couple of other subtle changes. The first of which is; I've eliminated the Yahoo "no cut" list. For those of you fantasy rookies, a no cut list is traditionally assigned to the top 50 players drafted in your league. While the intent of the no cut list is noble, in daily practice, it's a PITA if one or more of your star players goes down for the year. Without it, you no longer have to carry players that aren't going to play. As painful as it might be to cut A-Rod, if he's in jail or Kerry Woods blows out his elbow again this year.... they do you no good stuck on your roster with no way to get rid of them. I've also added a second DL (disabled list) spot. We all know that baseball players as a rule are pansies. They go on the DL for blisters and hang nails so I added another DL spot since we're sure to need it at some point throughout the season. I also changed the Free Agent waiver period from two days to one and after the draft, there is no waiting period on available players. They are all FA's and available right away (I may change this back.... I haven't decided yet).

For ALL of you who think you want to play.... may I remind you (or tell you rookie managers), that it's no fun (or that it actually SUCKS a big one) when a manager quits and/or stops setting his line ups. Baseball is a LONG season so remember, it's a long commitment. With no $$$ involved or on the line (we can certainly change this if you all prefer), it's easy to say, "oh hell forget about this" when you're at the bottom of the standings with no hope in sight. TRUST me.... I KNOW since that's usually where I reside. But quitting half way through is just plain unfair to the rest of the league who you beat up on early in the season. Besides, Yahoo now allows "co-managers" for teams or you have the ability to assign your team entirely to a different manager if something changes or comes up and you can no longer participate. So, there is really no reason for a team/manager to quit.

To register for the league, go to: http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/ Then click on the BLUE (NOT yellow) "Join a League" button. Then click on the "Join Custom" button. Enter the league ID: 187100, then enter the password: strikezone. You will then fill out team information and register for the league. Be sure to test your system for drafting purposes. Good luck.... I hope we get some more who are interested. If you like baseball at all, you should enjoy it.

With that.... who's interested???

EDIT: I've also added that a manager must have 40.0 complete innings pitched for the week or NONE of the pitching stats will be counted. What this does is force a manager to use starting pitchers in his line up and not all relievers (who can typically have better ERA, WHIP and SV stats). Especially come play off time. It also nudges you to keep an eye on your staff and actually start pitchers who are paying that day. Rather than set your two best starting pitchers in the two SP slots and never change them for the entire year (believe me, I've actually SEEN this).

For those of you newbies (or vets who've never experienced this restriction) that are worried about this, don't. 40.0 innings isn't really that difficult to hit. It's actually still possible in the scenario I described above so I may change it to 50.0, 60.0 or even 70.0 innings required for the week. With seven available pitching spots, getting 10.0 innings per day total (70.0 for the week) should be a breeze. I was usually over 100.0 for the week in the same format in another league last year. But, then again, I often used SP's in the P slots a lot where some guys only load up with relievers. You vet's know the guys I'm talking about.... they grab all the top closers and relievers and end up dominating the pitching stats. Minimum innings pitched puts a stop to that. Also, you don't need to worry about keeping track of total innings pitched. There is a large box at the lower left of your team page where Yahoo tracks it for you.
    John W.
    Indy

I'm in John. A little monetary action would be good by me. But either way is OK. Maybe you can get Craig to pony up a Gizmo or something for first place. He likes you.
    As it turns out, I was never banned. I was wrong yet again. First Obama, now this. :)

Comment

Originally posted by droht
      I'm in John. A little monetary action would be good by me. But either way is OK. Maybe you can get Craig to pony up a Gizmo or something for first place. He likes you.
      Everybody likes John: he makes good food and is polite...:yes:

Comment

Originally posted by droht
        Now, that's a splendid idea. But, everyone goes to Craig with their hands out, so I don't think I'll do that. But, of course, if he "HAPPENS" to read this and WANTS to.... well, far be from me to refuse. :p

If everyone wants to put a little monetary action on the outcome, and Craig doesn't mind, I think what I'll do is have everyone Paypal him the entry fee to hold and then distribute at the end of the year. No one will question Craig's ability to hang on to the $$$ safely and securely.
        John W.
        Indy

Comment

I am in....

Comment

Only three so far? Me, droht and jschlesi? Come on folks.... for those of you who have never done this before, it's really kind of fun.
            John W.
            Indy

Comment

I found it more a pain in the ass than anything else. To many games and played all during the week.

Fantsy baseball makes me want to puke:toilet:
              A knock at the door said "Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms" I thought it was a delivery.:biglaugh:

Comment

LOL.... I understand DOJ.... complex things, you know stuff more involved than growing corn, is a difficult concept for those in Iowa. :p
                John W.
                Indy

Comment

Originally posted by quadman
                  LOL.... I understand DOJ.... complex things, you know stuff more involved than growing corn, is a difficult concept for those in Iowa. :p
                  Yeah ...right ...to complex . :applause:
                  A knock at the door said "Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms" I thought it was a delivery.:biglaugh:

Comment

Seriously though, I wish you did enjoy it.... the Monkey's are always welcome.
                    John W.
                    Indy

Comment

Baseball is a little slow for me. How about boxing?:boxer:

Comment

Well, the interest looks pretty lukewarm to say the least....

So, I'm going to go ahead and open up the registration with no dues or entry fees. This is now officially a free league. We need to get this rolling fairly quickly since the draft is but three weeks away.

To register for the league, go to: http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/ Then click on the BLUE (NOT yellow) "Join a League" button. Then click on the "Join Custom" button. Enter the league ID: 187100, then enter the password: strikezone.

You will then fill out team information and register for the league. Be sure to test your system for drafting purposes. Good luck.... I hope we get some more who are interested. If you like baseball at all, you should enjoy it.
                        John W.
                        Indy

Comment

Well, I like baseball, and I've enjoyed fantasy football in the past, so it sounds like it might be fun. Do tell me, though, how many times a week am I going to have to tinker with my lineup? Every game any of my "starters" play? Could be every single day. What if a player plays 3-4 games that week? How do you determine which games for your players constitues the matchup with your fantasy opponent? I'm up for considering my lineup a few times a week, but not full blown research every single day.
                          Angel City Audio
                          East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

Originally posted by woofersus
                            Well, I like baseball, and I've enjoyed fantasy football in the past, so it sounds like it might be fun. Do tell me, though, how many times a week am I going to have to tinker with my lineup? Every game any of my "starters" play? Could be every single day. What if a player plays 3-4 games that week? How do you determine which games for your players constitues the matchup with your fantasy opponent? I'm up for considering my lineup a few times a week, but not full blown research every single day.
                            Without giving away the farm (unless you enjoy residing at or near the bottom of the standings like me :p), I set my hitter's line up once a week. Now, you have to set each and every day, but it takes me about 15 minutes to set my line up for the entire week.

Pitchers are a little different. Yahoo lists pitchers as SP, RP and SP/RP. Obviously, starters, relievers and pitchers that sometimes do both. As a convenience, Yahoo designates a pitcher that is starting on a given day with a < (only pointing up like an inverted V.... I didn't have one of those on my keyboard). You usually get around three days notice on when a pitcher is going to start. So with today being Monday for example, Yahoo would show pitchers that were going to start through Thursday. So, you could at least set your starting pitching through then. You would then need to check on Thursday to see who would be starting the rest of the week/weekend.

Obviously, pitchers can miss starts, starts can change due to rain outs or whatever. I check on my team every morning just to make sure everything is ok for the day. A hitter could have been injured and you need maybe to place him on the bench or sign a free agent to replace him. Or maybe a pitcher that's a SP/RP get's an unexpected start and you want to change your pitching line up. Or you notice a scrub you have on the bench who all of a sudden has eight hits in his last four games and you want to throw him into your line up etc.

Depending on how "hooked" you get, you can obsess over it if you want. There are all kinds of stats available like performance on grass/turf, road/away just to name a couple. I don't pour over all of that stuff and spend hours a day on my teams. Maybe that's why I usually reside in the bottom half of the standings.... LOL. I set my line ups for the next week on Sunday evenings. I re-set my starting pitching on Thursday and then check in a few times just to see how things are going, watch the waiver wire, check on potential F/A's etc.

So, is it more involved than something easy like fantasy Football where you set your line up for ONE game per week? Sure. But, baseball plays 162 games not 16, so it does take a bit more of your time. And, depending on how complicated you want to make it, can take a lot of time. I won't kid you there. But, the way I do it, I have fun. Sometimes I win, sometimes I don't. Either way, I enjoy baseball, follow a lot of the players, so to me.... it's fun.
                            John W.
                            Indy

Comment

If you're worried about the time commitment, maybe there is a friend you'd like to "share" managing the team with. Yahoo allows co-managers now.
                              John W.
                              Indy

Comment

Working...
                              X