Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basement heating

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Basement heating

    I'm finishing off my basement/theater and need some options for heating. The room is ~1000 sq. feet and 8 foot ceiling. It will be all insulated and dry walled (including ceiling). I'm thinking electric solutions would work the best. Any ideas?
    Time waits for no man.

  • #2
    Plasma TVs and tube amps come to mind...
    As it turns out, I was never banned. I was wrong yet again. First Obama, now this. :)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by droht
      Plasma TVs and tube amps come to mind...
      how many plasmas do you need to fill 1000 sq feet with heat?
      Time waits for no man.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jethro
        how many plasmas do you need to fill 1000 sq feet with heat?
        Not many if the room is insulated well enough,and has no constant cold air infiltration.You will need to have some air to air exchange to keep it from getting stale in the room.

        Do you have no forced air heat/cooling with dehumidification available ?This can eliminate a potintial health hazard (mold) which is quite easy to have without ones knowledge behind walls and carpeting,more easily that any type of radiant heat..

        Mac
        Ht #1
        Samsung PNA-58-650
        Integra 9.8 DTS (pre-pro) Emotiva XPA-2 XPA-5 amps
        Oppo 980 Toshiba XA-1 Panasonic BD-60 Direct TV HD-DVR
        Music Hall 7.1 TT Jolida 9a tubed phono stage
        Ninja Master Rocket 850's & NM Bigfoot/450's/ Infinity RS20012 sides/MFW-15 sub

        HT#2
        Sony XBR-2
        Integra 7.8 DTR XPA-5 amp
        Oppo 980 Panasonic BD-30 Sony PS-3 80gig/ X-Box 360HD Direct TV H2O
        Needing help on new speakers & sub..

        2 channel Shanling MC-3 Ninja Master PB ELT-LRS with external cross overs

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jethro
          how many plasmas do you need to fill 1000 sq feet with heat?
          It's really a near-field thing...

          In our basement, a little more than half of your sq footage, between the 50" plasma at one end and a $300 electric fireplace similar to this at the other we see the room go from a chilly 62F on a winter morning up to 72 in < 2 hours.

          I would think that a few wisely placed baseboard heaters would serve you well. You need the Quadman to spec it out for you. We wired for them, but went with the fireplace because we wanted someplace to hang Christmas stockings in this room. What can I cay, priorities get skewed when you have a small child.
          As it turns out, I was never banned. I was wrong yet again. First Obama, now this. :)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mac 11700
            Not many if the room is insulated well enough,and has no constant cold air infiltration.You will need to have some air to air exchange to keep it from getting stale in the room.

            Do you have no forced air heat/cooling with dehumidification available ?This can eliminate a potintial health hazard (mold) which is quite easy to have without ones knowledge behind walls and carpeting,more easily that any type of radiant heat..

            Mac
            Its an unfinished basement with no windows... just concrete. Next week, I'm getting it professionally finished. My home is a 2-story with basement. The heater is on the top floor in the laundry room. There is one duct that goes into the basement but doesn't provide much heat at all. I want to get heat down there but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

            I'm thinking multiples of these http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6401_200316401

            Or...

            2 of these
            http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5960_200325960

            The radiant floor stuff seems expensive, but I don't know of a good place to check it out.

            I'd like to go electric.

            Thanks,

            Jeff
            Time waits for no man.

            Comment


            • #7
              We have 1 1000 watt model of these:

              http://www.cadetco.com/show_product.php?prodid=1010

              in our 400 sq. ft. basement and it works GREAT. I wired for 2 of them but ended up just using the one. I would think 2 would be good for your basement.

              Random thoughts:

              They are essentially silent - I would not go with a fan-based unit like the 2nd link in your post above.

              I have the heater mounted on an external wall with a set-back thermostat mounted on an inside wall opposite the heater. Warms the room up to 68-70 in less than an hour. Without the heater the room gets down to around 60.

              I have one basement duct from the forced air furnace but I keep it closed most of the time. Our basement is not damp - except on a really hot humid day if we don't run the air.

              A few years back when I bought it, they were hard to find locally. Now I've seen them in Menard's and elsewhere. I probably should have tried harder to find it locally because it took several tries to get one to me that wasn't destroyed by UPS.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Daryl RL
                We have 1 1000 watt model of these:

                http://www.cadetco.com/show_product.php?prodid=1010

                in our 400 sq. ft. basement and it works GREAT. I wired for 2 of them but ended up just using the one. I would think 2 would be good for your basement.

                Random thoughts:

                They are essentially silent - I would not go with a fan-based unit like the 2nd link in your post above.

                I have the heater mounted on an external wall with a set-back thermostat mounted on an inside wall opposite the heater. Warms the room up to 68-70 in less than an hour. Without the heater the room gets down to around 60.

                I have one basement duct from the forced air furnace but I keep it closed most of the time. Our basement is not damp - except on a really hot humid day if we don't run the air.

                A few years back when I bought it, they were hard to find locally. Now I've seen them in Menard's and elsewhere. I probably should have tried harder to find it locally because it took several tries to get one to me that wasn't destroyed by UPS.
                Looks sleek and quiet. It says works best by a window however which I don't have down there... do you think that would be a problem?
                Time waits for no man.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not at all - mine is nowhere near a window either.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Craig's brother could knock one of these off for you in between building Scamp enclosures.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Jethro....

                      The big things to consider are moving/exchanging air and the removal of moisture from the room. A sealed fully insulated room in the basement is NOT conducive to a long term healthy environment. You say you already have a supply register in the basement? I'm "assuming" that it will be located in the room? If so, then I would contact an HVAC professional to install a return air duct sized to pull the equal amout of return air from that room. Surely the "cost" of installing a balanced return won't amount to much in the over-all cost of installing the room when compared to the alternative.

                      Now, (as long as you do as I and most HVAC experts recommend.... leave your fan running 24/7) you at least have air being exchanged from that room on a regular basis. It may not condition the air to the temperature you prefer, but the removal of the stale air from the room will considerably cut down on the amount of moisture build up in the room and the promotion of mold and mildew growth. Augment that with any of the heating choices you're looking at and you will have a comfy, HEALTHY environment for you and your family to enjoy movies.
                      John W.
                      Indy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by quadman
                        Jethro....

                        The big things to consider are moving/exchanging air and the removal of moisture from the room. A sealed fully insulated room in the basement is NOT conducive to a long term healthy environment. You say you already have a supply register in the basement? I'm "assuming" that it will be located in the room? If so, then I would contact an HVAC professional to install a return air duct sized to pull the equal amout of return air from that room. Surely the "cost" of installing a balanced return won't amount to much in the over-all cost of installing the room when compared to the alternative.

                        Now, (as long as you do as I and most HVAC experts recommend.... leave your fan running 24/7) you at least have air being exchanged from that room on a regular basis. It may not condition the air to the temperature you prefer, but the removal of the stale air from the room will considerably cut down on the amount of moisture build up in the room and the promotion of mold and mildew growth. Augment that with any of the heating choices you're looking at and you will have a comfy, HEALTHY environment for you and your family to enjoy movies.
                        Thanks Quad, I've got a pro coming out tomorrow at 2 and another at 3 for advice. I'm sure they're going to try and sell me a small furnace and all new ductwork for the basement but I could be wrong. I'd like to keep it cheap but for the family.... I can't allow myself to be a cheapskate I suppose.
                        Time waits for no man.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have an Eden Pure heater that I can highly recommend. It's a bit pricey, but is really safe for children and pets. Plus it heats up a room quite nicely.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Venom93
                            I have an Eden Pure heater that I can highly recommend. It's a bit pricey, but is really safe for children and pets. Plus it heats up a room quite nicely.
                            I was checking that out today actually. I think it was around $400, and it would evenly heat the room about 1000 sq ft. Only thing I don't like about it is that it will stick out like a soar thumb. I wanted to go the inwall or baseboard route... but I may end up with crappy heat if I get picky and thats probably the worst thing to do.

                            http://www.edenpurestore.com/heater_prices

                            What you guys think of this?

                            Nevermind... Just called up the friendly folks at Edenpure and they said its only to be used as supplemental heat and I would only really net a 10 degree increase from it. So, no dice.
                            Time waits for no man.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Found what I think to be a good deal on wall heaters for my basement.
                              I'm 90% sure I'm going this route right here.

                              http://www.iapsales.com/LFK484.htm

                              $425 shipped for a pair of these demons... :huge:
                              Time waits for no man.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X