This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever buy a car online?

My mother in law was involved in a accident last week, one that totaled her Corolla. Most importantly she is okay, just without a ride. She will want another Corolla, and we are trying to get this completed with as little leg work as possible. I would rather avoid the hassles, and instead do most of the price shopping online/email, select a dealer, show up and close the deal. It will be a cash purchase, and no trade, so it would seem fairly painless, I've just never gone about it this way.

I've heard of people inputting what they are looking for, and then local dealers making their offers, sort of like a home loan, but I'm unfamiliar with a reputable site to does this on. I've also read just to contact the dealers directly via the online sales department. Is one any better than the other?

I could use some suggestions if any of you have done this.
    Coach Pat Summitt - Folding at Home

We recently purchase a vehicle for my wife and I did preliminary work
    through various dealer's online sales dept. In every case, their price
    was the best "deal" I could get.
    There are several different online pricing guides (trucar is one I used)
    that told me the best price I could expect from the dealer -
    and that is exactly what I got. It is hard nowadays to get
    anything "extra" thrown in though.

good luck!
    M

Comment

Yeah, that's one of the sites I've been using. That alone is good info!

Did you get the great price or good price?
      I'm guessing nobody gets that unusually low price.

Thanks!

Comment

The days of hagling over prices are gone, I just bought a new car from a dealer I found online, I know what I wanted, I (me and the wife) wanted a used KIA Soul and we found one at a dealer just 10 miles from home, we set an appointment and went there. We already had the finances handled, we were going to pay cash, buy the way that no longer makes a difference, in the old days it did. Anyway we liked the used Soul and said we would pay so much and they didn't budge on the used vehicle. For the hell of it I said pull in a new one and after one minute we decided to get the new car, completely revamped 2014 KIA Soul for $1100 more than the used one, only catch we had to finance through KIA motors to get that extra $700 off the car, so I gave them $8500 cash and financed the rest and will be paying off the balance next month with a $30 finance charge. It's a simple process these days, type in what you want on Google with dealers in the 100 mile radius of where you live and you will get a good idea what's out there. Hope this helps.
        Cheers Jeff

Comment

I hear ya, I only mentioned cash as in I don't have to deal with the financing side of things, which in itself should be a time saver.

So your experience is what they are asking is all they will take? Trucar shows some wiggle room, or certainly suggests it. Not a lot granted but some.

Comment

I guess I am lucky to live in a small town and there is a dealership that will still deal with you. I skip the salesman and walk into the owner's office. After 2 visits and discussing price I get the best deal around and I get them to throw in the spray in bed liner. They dealer traded to get what I wanted. One of the trucks I dealt on at a neighboring dealer showed up and I asked what they would do on that truck. They were $1,500 less than the dealer that had the truck on the lot. I ended up with a different truck but it pays to shop around. In my opinion you are better off looking at smaller dealerships that aren't connected to a big chain of dealers. You will get a better price and better service. Just my 2 cents.
            Klipsch RF-7II Mains, RF-82II & RS-62II Surrounds, RC64II Center, 2 JTR 2400 Passive Captivators, 2 CHT MQ600
            Denon AVR-4520ci
            Emotiva XPA-3
            Panasonic TC-P60VT60
            Oppo BDP-93
            Xbox One
            PS4
            Denon DP-300F

Comment

Originally posted by tthurman View Post
              I hear ya, I only mentioned cash as in I don't have to deal with the financing side of things, which in itself should be a time saver.

So your experience is what they are asking is all they will take? Trucar shows some wiggle room, or certainly suggests it. Not a lot granted but some.
              Yes that has been my experience, there is some room but not much, depends on demand of the vehicle.

Comment

There are lots of choices online.

But sometimes there are some items that really don't work out well after purchase.
                So better be careful..
                KZaudiovideo

Comment

Originally posted by tthurman View Post
                  She will want another Corolla, and we are trying to get this completed with as little leg work as possible. I would rather avoid the hassles, and instead do most of the price shopping online/email, select a dealer, show up and close the deal.
                  Carmax. Painless. Bought my Tundra like that.

http://www.carmax.com/?adcode=GCBAA2...FelxOgod0z4AUw

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Unfortunately Carmax is a big part of the problem. She had recently purchased a 2010 Corolla, paid in full, but they somehow lost the title. This is delaying everything else six or so weeks, and has left Carmax with a black eye.

Comment

Working...
                    X